Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the 30k mile service on my ‘19 Stelvio Quad I was advised that the rear rotors (steel) are worn and need replacing soon… but the dealer can’t find any in the USA. That can’t be right. Anyone know if it’s true?

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the 30k mile service on my ‘19 Stelvio Quad I was advised that the rear rotors (steel) are worn and need replacing soon… but the dealer can’t find any in the USA. That can’t be right. Anyone know if it’s true?
I certainly hope that’s not true.There are a couple after market options though. Tarox and girodisc I believe.

I’d also question if you really need rotors. Have you replaced your fronts yet? How many sets of pads have you been through at the rear?

·
Registered
704 Posts
OEM brake parts are getting harder to get and more costly than ever. Even the aftermarket brake parts are out of stock for some of the popular brands. I couldn't find any rotors in stock for 2.0 so yes, i believe what they are telling you is true.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
145 Posts
At the 30k mile service on my ‘19 Stelvio Quad I was advised that the rear rotors (steel) are worn and need replacing soon… but the dealer can’t find any in the USA. That can’t be right. Anyone know if it’s true? Lol
I'm not sure if anyone else has done this but I'm going to have a local (trusted) race fab shop resurface mine. I only need the rears done but he says he can "turn" cross-drilled/slotted/vented rotors. Will see once I get them off and check specs. So this might be another option if you cannot find any.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone else has done this but I'm going to have a local (trusted) race fab shop resurface mine. I only need the rears done but he says he can "turn" cross-drilled/slotted/vented rotors. Will see once I get them off and check specs. So this might be another option if you cannot find any.
i read somewhere that slotted and drilled rotors should not be resurfaced because they are pretty thin to begin with. Maybe they just said that so I would buy new rotors but prices were about the same. I just ended up buying new rotors each time.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
145 Posts
i read somewhere that slotted and drilled rotors should not be resurfaced because they are pretty thin to begin with. Maybe they just said that so I would buy new rotors but prices were about the same. I just ended up buying new rotors each time.
Not sure if they are "thinner" but the world has gone to just buying new ones because it was generally pretty cheap. Things are different on these cars, the stock rotors are expensive and two local shops told me they wouldn't turn cross-drilled rotors because it's hard on the cutting blades. I have read that in general slotted can be turned and just have to do it correctly.
For me, I will remove the rears and take them to a very trusted shop that has done them before, and as long as within tolerances. I'm going to give it a shot, but won't know if it's feasible until I get them off and discuss it with the shop.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Are your rotors 2 piece set up? I don't know anything about the 2 piece set up so you are probably right. I have a 2.0 with small vented brakes.... (slotted and drilled for now but going with regualr flat one next time)

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
145 Posts
Are your rotors 2 piece set up? I don't know anything about the 2 piece set up so you are probably right. I have a 2.0 with small vented brakes.... (slotted and drilled for now but going with regualr flat one next time)
They are a single piece rotor. But they look as if they "vent" all the way through the the center of the disc, Probably the reason the (QV) is able to be run on a track. They can dissipate the heat faster. So I'm not sure if that will affect as to whether they can be resurfaced or not.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If brakes are operating smoothly , just buy new pads. I haven't resurfaced a rotor in well over 20 years. used to be what you did for minor warpage, but as far as grooves are concerned, just let new pads bed in. I track 15+ times a year, change pads all the time and only time i change rotors is when they are crazed a nd shot....long before they wear out. I had 80K rear rotors on my last X5 that were still well within spec, just reused them.
Simply get a micrometer and measure on vehicle. Takes 2 minutes. 95% sure they are fine. Min dimensions usually printed on hub

Reactions: pocholin

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
357 Posts
If brakes are operating smoothly , just buy new pads. I haven't resurfaced a rotor in well over 20 years. used to be what you did for minor warpage, but as far as grooves are concerned, just let new pads bed in. I track 15+ times a year, change pads all the time and only time i change rotors is when they are crazed a nd shot....long before they wear out. I had 80K rear rotors on my last X5 that were still well within spec, just reused them.
Simply get a micrometer and measure on vehicle. Takes 2 minutes. 95% sure they are fine. Min dimensions usually printed on hub
I second his experiences, as long as they meet min thickness and braking is smooth right now, just put new pads and go easy on them for the first 200 miles or so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what size are your stelvio quad regular brake pads? The old ones that came out was 4.5in 2.5, but was yours bigger like 4.5in x 2 7/8ths? Mine didnt fit for some reason and was ordered by Vin number. Unless 68309144AA these rear pads are supposed to fit different brakes. Does the quad come with standard and oversize calipers? Is there a special way to fit pads into the calipers?
2018 stelv quad

18 stelvio
Sleeve Font Carmine Plastic wrap Event
quad
Road surface Asphalt Wood Font Tool
Road surface Asphalt Wood Beige Concrete

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wheel Wood
Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts