1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some food for thought folks.

Quad weights roughly 4350 lbs.
It has 505 HP, 443 ft-lbs Tq
Therefore its has these critical performance numbers. 8.6lb/HP & 9.8lbs/ ft-lb tq IMPRESSIVE STUFF @ $80K MSRP

Now look at a Ti Sport with Eurocompulsion Phase 2, Remus Cat back exhaust, Quad wheels and tires At roughly 4015lbs due to lighter wheels and exhaust
EC says it has 390HP, 443ft-lbs tq
Therefore , it has these critical performance numbers. 10.3lbs/HP & 9.06 ft-lbs tq Think of this value @ 52K MSRP

It actually has better Torque performance specs than a Quad!!!! Just sayin....

Reactions: FOURCED

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
reality - quad owner doesn't have to, and you would spend more to upgrade trying to get there than you would buying one.
if you want a "budget" quad, get a used one.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quad CCB
178 Posts
I Would love to drive a 390HP 4 cylinder version of one of these!

Does anyone have Dragy performance numbers from one?

I've been a lifelong fan of 4 cylinder forced induction performance (hence the screen name and an 800hp 4 cylinder Mustang SVO 20 years ago) but this F154 V6 is Next Level Engineering that is Brilliant to the point that it would not allow me to even consider a 4 cylinder for this application.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm just going to leave this right here because I own both a 2.0 and a Quad. See below for mods. The torque was heavily discussed on the giulia forums, yes the 2.0 plants you on your seat harder than a quad but that lasts like a second at best. The quad is simply a monster and not even close to the pull at all mph and rpm bands. You also have to look at when peak hp/torque kicks in. On the ECv2 it's specifically designed to kick in at higher mph. The pull on the 2.0 from say 75ish to 120ish is where you really feel all those ponies and you really forget you got a 4banger under the hood. The pull on the quad initially is not as hard but when it kicks in, IT DOESNT STOP until you run out of road. Great ab work out :)

2.0 AWD Giulia Mods
-Staggered wheels with summers
-ECv2 tune
-ECv1 intake with BMC filter
-GFB DV+
-Ragazzzzzzon axle back
-EC Pedal Pro

Quad Stelvio Mods
-BMC Filter
-EC Pedal Pro
-In garage but not installed (2x GFB DV+)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just sayin...those numbers aren't dreamland. Surprised me when I did them.,
Disciple of the add lightness mantra.
Of course they could tune it. Surprised more people haven't done it already to the limited stock Quad tune. In no way am I saying the Quad is not worth it or anything along those lines. I am just saying a tuned 2.0 , in its own right, will now run with A LOT of the big guns in SUV world. The Quad eats them alive!! I was feeling feisty yesterday and was hammering it in D mode and was really enjoying the boost of cold air thinking to myself, damn this thing is a lot quicker than it used to be stock!!!
BTW I was the guinea pig for some of the tuning with the upgraded ECU's but it s pretty damn easy to get there. You confirm what I have felt. Stock above 80 the 2.0 lost its mojo. Now it pulls hard up to 130mph...pretty much fastest I've had opportunity to wind her out....much to the dismay of the WRX hehe.
They don't make a budget Quad with Visconti Verde ( a true Alfa color), let alone that combo with the red interior. Was going to upgrade this spring but I love what i've done and am not wanting for more esp seen as 75% of its driving is in the winter. In summer I drive the summer toys....keeps the Stelvio love fresh!!

Consider that my Evora S at 360 HP and 3070lbs as modded gives 8.5lb/HP. And I know I give those big HP cars lengths on the straights, but the lesser weight shows in all the other driving pleasures.
If I get another Stelvio, will it be a Quad someday?..hell yes if I can get it the way I want it esp since it is a proven vehicle now. For now, I guess I'll just slum along with my Maserati GTS, Evora S and steal the wifey's Miata when I need some Vit D in the summer. In that regard, a Quad is a compromise in the summer, strange as it may sound.

Reactions: sweetness34

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just sayin...those numbers aren't dreamland. Surprised me when I did them.,
Disciple of the add lightness mantra.
Of course they could tune it. Surprised more people haven't done it already to the limited stock Quad tune. In no way am I saying the Quad is not worth it or anything along those lines. I am just saying a tuned 2.0 , in its own right, will now run with A LOT of the big guns in SUV world. The Quad eats them alive!! I was feeling feisty yesterday and was hammering it in D mode and was really enjoying the boost of cold air thinking to myself, damn this thing is a lot quicker than it used to be stock!!!
BTW I was the guinea pig for some of the tuning with the upgraded ECU's but it s pretty damn easy to get there. You confirm what I have felt. Stock above 80 the 2.0 lost its mojo. Now it pulls hard up to 130mph...pretty much fastest I've had opportunity to wind her out....much to the dismay of the WRX hehe.
They don't make a budget Quad with Visconti Verde ( a true Alfa color), let alone that combo with the red interior. Was going to upgrade this spring but I love what i've done and am not wanting for more esp seen as 75% of its driving is in the winter. In summer I drive the summer toys....keeps the Stelvio love fresh!!

Consider that my Evora S at 360 HP and 3070lbs as modded gives 8.5lb/HP. And I know I give those big HP cars lengths on the straights, but the lesser weight shows in all the other driving pleasures.
If I get another Stelvio, will it be a Quad someday?..hell yes if I can get it the way I want it esp since it is a proven vehicle now. For now, I guess I'll just slum along with my Maserati GTS, Evora S and steal the wifey's Miata when I need some Vit D in the summer. In that regard, a Quad is a compromise in the summer, strange as it may sound.
Well said. I think the 2.0 with the mods i listed above is one hell of a car for the value compared to competition. With the mods, the car i simply VERY quick and easily whips the German block equivalents. Beyond these mods, you need to get a full exhaust starting from the turbo. That's where you really cross the range from street doable to holy **** fast. There are a few tuners in Europe that have made this engine produce over 650hp. Naked ECU and other heavy mods.

Changing downpipes is not only not easy on this car but it just makes it too loud for daily driving or else I would have done it. I've stuck with the resonated axle back 76mm and i'm very happy with the results. Good balance of performance and noise level.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There are a few tuners in Europe that have made this engine produce over 650hp. Naked ECU and other heavy mods.
I assume they upgraded the internals along with a bigger turbo? I am curious what the maximum output would be with the stock setup and also what the stock block can handle with a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Visconte, you need a dragy thingy so you can play with these guys:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I assume they upgraded the internals along with a bigger turbo? I am curious what the maximum output would be with the stock setup and also what the stock block can handle with a bigger turbo.
Yes I'm not sure on the full heavy lifting required to achieve this nor am I knowledgeable enough to understand. My knowledge doesn't go beyond that turbos engines thrive off of a high performance exhaust and to achieve that you need to replace from the turbo down (axle/cat backs are just scratching the surface). I'm sure the drive shaft would need to go as well and possibly transmission, not sure how the manual trans is rated compared to our ZF. EC has an update for those with a downpipe to prevent xmas lights in the dash and to accommodate the tune. We do know that the base engine and giorgio platform will be fitted in many cars within FCA so I'm sure some heavy engineering took place.

The turbo we have does handle plentiful PSI from factory pushing it wouldn't even get close to 500hp so I'm sure a larger turbo was fitted.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Funny but even since I was young 0-60 didn't really mean that much to me. Between clutch frying, reaction times ,and general abuse launching causes....I avoided that expense. I have never replaced a clutch in my life!!! However, 1/4 mile but more importantly, rolling starts and passing power were always what I want to enhance. I do pull my fair share of lines on back roads. 4-6+ cars has never fazed me.
My buds tell me to get lap counters etc. I try to concentrate more on the experiential side and enjoy the feelings of a good lap. Trying to avoid entering that next level of competiveness.

EC always told me stock internals were safe (via FCA engineers input directly)well into the 400's.

Another little side note, the Clover is an advertisement that gets interpreted 2 ways by punks. 1. Try them and get a$$ handed to them but all they really wanted was to hear it or
2. Respect it.
I live more in the sleeper zone. The few times harrassed or in the mood to play, the whipping most get makes them respect all the others not realizing its not stock. All they see is the yellow zero on side window.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Do 1/4 mile, or 40 to 80, whatever you want to demonstrate how fast your car is.
The #'s over there give us a good idea though.
Then maybe go racing, and find out if you are actually faster than fast people.
Miatas would be a good choice for that.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Miatas are the true litmus test....hehe seriously! Elivan Goulart is my summer boss at the track with SCDA!

·
Registered
360 Posts
for all the Quad owners out there, I dont think the 2.0 owners are trying to “make a Q” but in true Alfa fashion are looking to upgrade to Stelvio “Super” from base and Ti and Ti Sport models. The cost of upgrading is pretty cheap...the car back exhaust upgrades are a fraction of the cost of a Q system. Especially for folks who are buying 2.0 cars in the used market these are $25-$30 cars. Putting a few bucks into a plug and play tune, exhaust, diverter valve and intake, changing springs, all very cost effective to get a big performance bump.

Reactions: jon m and ttaidapos

·
Registered
360 Posts
The ZF tranny used in the 2.0 I think is not the same as the Quad. Unless I had a good idea of tranny and other components durability, plus the cooling systems, I’d not want to be pushing farther ahead than EC2. Not looking for a track star, but more street and highway capability. I have my eye on a Giulia Quad, 1500 miles, $49,000 at a local dealer. Less weight, lower CG, for a summer car.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Learn the track as well as the Miata driver....do not over steer/brake.....be as familiar with the limits of the Stelvio (they are higher than people think, however, require more finesse to reach as a driver than most any modern "sports" cars) as the Miata driver is with his car.....

...it would be really fun to go against a Miata with a pro driver. As is, I am as familiar with the (stock) handling of every generation Miata as I am the Stelvio on my favorite canyon road (Dad has owned every gen including the current and we go "play" regularly..up till the Stelvio we would trade cars often, now I don't care to...miss my Stelvio too much). It takes more work in the Stelvio...but with me driving both, I am faster in the Stelvio than the Miata by a good 3 seconds by the end of the 1/2 mile...I can handle high speed sweepers with pavement irregularities at higher speeds allowing for a better line and later braking into the turns, penulimate speed through the turn is basically the same, the Miata might get a 1/2mph faster...maybe, only in the corners where the pavement is perfect. Potholes and uneven pavement in the middle of corners upsets the chassis/brakes of the Miata far more than the Stelvio....stiff suspension/roll control with limited compliance combined with a very lightweight chassis can make the car want to bounce around at high speed, while the Stelvio soaks it up like a boss. Just gotta work a lot more to control the weight during transitions....a lot more. However, don't over rotate the wheel, be smooth when unwinding the wheel particularly...there is more avalible traction with the Stelvio.

With that said the newest gen Miata has continued the trend towards softening the car too much.....I miss the sharpness of the original. Would love to go against a gen 1. With all that said I'de expect a solid driver on a track, in a Miata to trash me....but it be super crazy fun to see how close I could get.

IMO people get too thrown off by the limited roll control. Stiff anti-roll bars are a crutch...just learn how to juggle weight transfer better. Many people think they are pushing this car to 7/10ths handling...really they are a 4/10ths with no idea how much is left.

Tranny in the quad vs base is the same other than gear ratios. Because of the ratios there are 2 part numbers, however it is the same intenal build, same transmission.

ZF doesn't make a bunch of planetary gearset 8 speed transmissions for tranverse mounted engine applications, they make 1...it is heavy duty in all applications from Chevy trucks to Lamborgini sports cars. The differances in feel from vehicle to vehicle have more to do with software/shift programming than build quality/power handling ability. There is a differance in torque converter designs between manufacturers and models that can affect power handling abilities, however Alfa is too poor to spend millions on designing and warehousing multiple parts when one will do...so they use one design across the board.

Same with the center diff. Same component in both cars, rated to handle over 800hp. This car is one of the few new vehicles that can be called mechanically overbuilt...quad or base.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for the tranny input...nice to know...tranny cooler the same, or higher capacity in the quad?

I am finding that driving the Stelvio fast I need careful placement going in, it is not that tolerant of changing lines. Higher CG?
Also smooth application of power and understanding when the AWD will come in, especially in the wet. I am doing better with manually downshifting going in, altough I know that full D mode driving is likely to be fastest.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
'my summer boss'
but you aren't him and you aren't racing anything.

"go against a Miata with a pro driver"
misses the point of racing against like cars in a competitive class.

"for all the Quad owners"
aren't against upgrading your cars however you want, but the benchracing bluster gets a bit much sometimes.
everybody's a

1 - 20 of 53 Posts