Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have just purchased a brand new 2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio. I love the vehicle (I had a 2018 Ti Sport before) but a few irritants prevent me from fully enjoying it. Despite their good will, the dealership does not seem to find lasting solutions to the problems.

1- On 3 occasions, the alarm system was triggered without reason (intrusion message detected). On two occasions, the battery was exhausted which required recharging (I am specifying here that this is not an accidental activation of the panic button). There appears to be a power consumption which drains the battery under specific condition. The dealer has reduced the sensitivity of the lift alarm but the problem is recurrent.
2- The previous problem disabled the option of opening hands free lifgate. The first time, the dealer changed the sensor believing it to be defective. The problem reappeared after the battery ran out for a second time. How can we reactivate this option which does not seem to come back into service after recharging the battery?
3- When cold, the remote starter does not work (which is quite ironic). It simply starts when the engine is warm. Have others encountered this problem? The dealer mentions that an update will arrive but I doubt it.

For a car of this price, it's strange that Alfa Romeo doesn't know how to correct this inconvenience.

I live in Quebec, Canada.

Thank you

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's simple, if they have tried to fix it 3 times and not successful, it's a lemon, return it & get another car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Go with above and or what battery is in the vehicle. Could be simple crap Varta battery and not an electrical issue.

·
Registered
19 Quadrifoglio Trofeo White,black with green/white,Dynamic pack, Pano roof,Carbon wheel, Dark wheel
66 Posts
Bad battery. Swap it out

·
Registered
80 Posts
3- When cold, the remote starter does not work (which is quite ironic). It simply starts when the engine is warm. Have others encountered this problem? The dealer mentions that an update will arrive but I doubt it.
I've had that retro fitted over here as not an option from Alfa. So using a new Alfa fob with the remote start activated in ECU. But mine needs to be pressed 4 times and if engine to cold will start then cut, if the temp is at least a bar then starts fine.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Wait...are you saying the engine has to be warm before it starts? Already showing one bar on the temp guage (which measures oil temp, not engine)

That sentence makes 0 sense to me.

Even when it is 120f outside...the engine is cold when it starts. It is the act of starting and running that warms up an engine. Literally the ONLY say to warm up an engine unless you installed an external block warmer.

How exactly does "the engine simply starts when its warm"?

Do you press the remote start button...then wait several minutes before the engine actually starts?

Do you go out, start the engine manually, wait till it warms up then shut the engine off so can restart it remotely?

Do you have a heated garage and turn the heat up to 85 before the amcar starts?

Are you putting a space heater under the car to warm the engine before it will remote start?

Please explain what are the exact circumstances that happen causing you to make this statement.

If what is happening is you press the button, the car honks and the lights flash, but doesn't start, then after a few seconds it does start..that is how it works. If it waits longer than a few seconds, I have noticed in cold days my remote start has a longer interval between the button press and the engine actually starting, never more than 5-10 seconds though. ..and it does nothing to warm up the engine...untill the engine is running.

Probably this is to turn on the electronics and let them warm up a little as voltage does drop and become inconsistent in the cold. Allowing the wires to warm up for a bit will increase and stabilize voltage (batteries do not put out steady, full voltage when cold). So it is very possible Alfa designed the system to warm up the electronics before starting. If that is what is happening here..again it's normal. It would also contribute to greater reliability long term for the electrical system by minimizing brown-outs and surges at start up.

Not saying that is happening here..just guessing. Maybe if I understood what you mean by saying the engine warms up before starting I could actually help. (Again..engines do not warm up before they are started, not without external devices)

As for the rest....how do you know the alarm was triggered for no reason? Please give specifics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello, I have just purchased a brand new 2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio. I love the vehicle (I had a 2018 Ti Sport before) but a few irritants prevent me from fully enjoying it. Despite their good will, the dealership does not seem to find lasting solutions to the problems.

1- On 3 occasions, the alarm system was triggered without reason (intrusion message detected). On two occasions, the battery was exhausted which required recharging (I am specifying here that this is not an accidental activation of the panic button). There appears to be a power consumption which drains the battery under specific condition. The dealer has reduced the sensitivity of the lift alarm but the problem is recurrent.
2- The previous problem disabled the option of opening hands free lifgate. The first time, the dealer changed the sensor believing it to be defective. The problem reappeared after the battery ran out for a second time. How can we reactivate this option which does not seem to come back into service after recharging the battery?

For a car of this price, it's strange that Alfa Romeo doesn't know how to correct this inconvenience.

Thank you
Hi. Interesting to read your point #3. 2020my QV as well. I'm in Florida, so no cold weather issues, but my remote start from the key fob starts the engine and promptly shuts down. From the AlfaConnect app on my Iphone, when requesting remote start, the car sounds the horn, flashes lights and does nothing thereafter. I have yet to get time to address these matters with the dealer.

Do you have the Alfa Connect and does this work for you ?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank you
I have had the problem occur where alarm is triggered and presumed it was my fault for perhaps depressing the panic button.
Issue #3 seems to be a chronic issue where auto start does nit work when vehicle is Cold so I will be making appointment to have car serviced, I also have had car exactly 22 days as of today.

thanks for sharing and I will update after scheduling service.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi. Interesting to read your point #3. 2020my QV as well. I'm in Florida, so no cold weather issues, but my remote start from the key fob starts the engine and promptly shuts down. From the AlfaConnect app on my Iphone, when requesting remote start, the car sounds the horn, flashes lights and does nothing thereafter. I have yet to get time to address these matters with the dealer.
Your car will not remote start (i.e., it will either just flash lights and do nothing, or start and then shutdown after a second or two) IF either your fuel level is low or you have any type of warning light illuminated on your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@BigRosso, not sure if this is a question or statement of fact? the thread is about "remote start" not functioning as intended where double press key fob and engine turns over and then immediately shuts down after revving up to like 4000 RPMs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your car will not remote start (i.e., it will either just flash lights and do nothing, or start and then shutdown after a second or two) IF either your fuel level is low or you have any type of warning light illuminated on your car.
Appreciate your reply. Both of these stated events were not present when the fail to remote start happened.. Hvr, out of interest, do you know what the fuel level threshold is for remote start to work ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the low fuel light is illuminated, then car may not remote start, or if it does it will immediately shut down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First mention of the engine revving to 4k before shutting down I've seen.

That is an important thing.

Probably needs a software reflash. Or that is where they will start at least. Could be alot of things...
Dealer performed a software update and then next morning while vehicle at dealer problem repeated so now dealer has ordered a new "radio controller" to replace and resolve this issue. will update once resolved

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the low fuel light is illuminated, then car may not remote start, or if it does it will immediately shut down.
Yup happened to me. Even if its just 2 bars to empty just before the light comes on it will not remote start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Stelvio Q and have the same problem wont remote start when cold. Called dealer who said it is a known problem with the 2020 model and AR is working on a software fix.

·
Registered
158 Posts

In my opinion you just have a battery problem and an incompetent dealer. The other problems are related to these.

·
Registered
160 Posts
One note - many of the Quads which were not ordered by the individuals sit on the lot for many months. I just got a 2020 quad myself and after I bought it was told it was on the lot for 7 months. Add that to transport time - that is over 9 months (with clearance through customs) with out normal/regular use of battery. This can be too much for some of the batteries used here.

Were I you I would go back to the dealer and ask how long was on the lot and if the number is high - ask for a new battery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts