Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you all probably know, I've been fighting with Alfa Customer Care to address the issues the current owners are experiencing. This afternoon I finally received this via email
Alfa Customer Care Email said:
please send me a detailed email reply as to what you would like to have discussed with the engineers I will forward it to our brand advocate here who will escalate your vehicle concerns to the appropriate factory resource to see if we can answer all your questions in 1 go.
Thank you.
Before sending my response, I am going to give everyone on the forum a chance to add items to the list. These questions MUST either be limited to things to which can be fixed on already purchased vehicles, OR suggestions for future model year updates / fixes to which no changes to the current vehicles can be done.

Before you post, please read all prior comments to make sure it's not already posted (a dozen +1 comments for something isn't useful)

Items I'm going to ask for fixing:
1) heated seats / wheel on remote start
2) parking sensors off during remote start / while in park.
3) Bluetooth transfers call to handset upon door open (shuts off infotainment at same time)
4) clear, official, and accurate answer on AA/CP support for 2018 MY vehicles
5) mirrors to not unfold during remote start (instead unfold at start/stop press)
6) clarification if our infotainment dial does / doesn't have hardware touch support awaiting support in the software / if so when will that be available
7) way to control the subwoofer volume (for those with the HK system)

Items I'm suggesting for future models.
1) heating element or heat duct by rear view mirror, glass ices up without heat reaching it in extreme cold
2) better shifter (sharp edges, cheap feel)
3) more solid dials for infotainment system
4) improve channeling of water (washer fluid) around drivers A pillar at highway speeds
5) way to disable TCS
6) improved sound deadening in doors / noise reduction

If you have anything you'd like added to the list, please post it below. I'm going to compile the questions and send the email to them Monday morning.

Reactions: [email protected]

Registered
So as you all probably know, I've been fighting with Alfa Customer Care to address the issues the current owners are experiencing. This afternoon I finally received this via email
Alfa Customer Care Email said:
please send me a detailed email reply as to what you would like to have discussed with the engineers I will forward it to our brand advocate here who will escalate your vehicle concerns to the appropriate factory resource to see if we can answer all your questions in 1 go.
Thank you.
Before sending my response, I am going to give everyone on the forum a chance to add items to the list. These questions MUST either be limited to things to which can be fixed on already purchased vehicles, OR suggestions for future model year updates / fixes to which no changes to the current vehicles can be done.

Before you post, please read all prior comments to make sure it's not already posted (a dozen +1 comments for something isn't useful)

Items I'm going to ask for fixing:
1) heated seats / wheel on remote start
2) parking sensors off during remote start / while in park.
3) Bluetooth transfers call to handset upon door open (shuts off infotainment at same time)
4) clear, official, and accurate answer on AA/CP support for 2018 MY vehicles
5) mirrors to not unfold during remote start (instead unfold at start/stop press)
6) clarification if our infotainment dial does / doesn't have hardware touch support awaiting support in the software / if so when will that be available
7) way to control the subwoofer volume (for those with the HK system)

Items I'm suggesting for future models.
1) heating element or heat duct by rear view mirror, glass ices up without heat reaching it in extreme cold
2) better shifter (sharp edges, cheap feel)
3) more solid dials for infotainment system
4) improve channeling of water (washer fluid) around drivers A pillar at highway speeds
5) way to disable TCS
6) improved sound deadening in doors / noise reduction

If you have anything you'd like added to the list, please post it below. I'm going to compile the questions and send the email to them Monday morning.
Thank you for the opportunity to improve our vehicles. I feel that AR messed up or falsely advertised the 12 way seats. The seats should have the tilt option. I have attached a pic from the manual and from the order guide. Also for the future, the toggle for the automatic windshield wipers feels super fragile and cheap. I would also like to see the future all weather mats from Alfa match the size of the included floor carpets. Specifically, the front passenger side all weather mat which is half the size of the original floor mat and exposes the fuse box cover.

That鈥檚 all i got for now. Love the car.

Attachments

Registered
For future:

Install a modem so a owner can remotely lock/unlock doors from a distance, see location of their vehicle, theft alert. All of this could be done using Alfa鈥檚 APP they already have with a installed modem in the vehicle. Keeping the modem and APP open to future updates.

Registered
Thanks!

Future:
- Start/stop defeat selection retained in memory.
- Improved sound systems (both base and HK).
- Ventilated front seats option.
- Mild-hybrid 48V electric super-charger paired with turbo, as in SQ7. Not a 48V belt system.
- Mild-hybrid 48V inline driveline pancake electric motor, and/or c) twin motor unit (TMU) with torque vectoring; likely in front as in Acura NSX.
- Bundle the first four services.

(Notes: In the MDX Sport Hybrid with similar three motors, but the TMU in rear, the price is only $1500. over regular AWD. Reportedly using a Mitsubishi flat motor "CLS 450 will be the first Benz to boast Mercedes' new 48-volt EQ Boost mild hybrid system which adds an additional 21 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque to the power party for short bursts of speed.")

Registered
I like your initial fix list.

As others have mentioned, I long for a way to disable the engine cutoff / restart as a persistent menu option, vice pressing the button every time I start the car.

The wind noise in this car is disappointing. On a cold day, my arm actually gets cold resting on the door.

Registered
For current owners:

1. Owners to do updates to the navigation maps.
2. Owners to do updates to the Infotainment center.

Registered
please ask about the mysterious "Hands Free Liftgate (open with foot)" operation.

It's in the owner's manual but not in production.

Registered
I'd add
1) more solid button mechanism for lift gate closing/locking -- the current buttons tend to get stuck in the pushed-in position and are difficult to wiggle back to normal
2) elapsed time clock for trip A/ trip B/ etc (unless this exists and I just have not yet found it)

Thanks for compiling this list!

Registered
More:

- add the ability to make phone calls directly from the steering wheel buttons, currently the system only allows scrolling through numbers, but cannot actually select and place a call
- similarly, add the ability to scroll through and select radio favorites from the steering wheel

Registered
Thank you SailDrive for putting together this list and reaching out to Alfa to get answers. I agree with everything on your original list and would add the following:

Fix for existing cars:
1. Ability to disable the easy exit function.
2. More radio presets available from the preset bar.
3. Ability to link the seat presets to individual key fobs for his and her seating positions. This should also include individual radio resets for each fob, climate control settings, etc. This might be a hardware limitation if the car cannot differentiate the individual fobs. In that case, it should be considered for future models.
4. Ability to check on the Alfa website by VIN for infotainment software updates with release notes. Similar to BMW's process.

Future Models:
1. Building on SailDrive's #4: Improved water channeling from the lower windshield/cowl area. Unless my Stelvio is missing some significant cowl pieces the rain and carwash water appears to be drained directly in the engine bay.
2. Passive Entry added to rear doors.
3. Previously listed by JustAlfa but it blows my mind the seats don't have the ability to tilt the seat bottoms. I travel a lot for work and have driven hundreds of rental cars over the years and I have never been in another car with power seats that doesn't have this ability.

All that being said I still love the Stelvio.

Registered
I would ask for the following:
1. Folding mirrors unfold automatically at 20mph - BMW has been doing it for my previous 2 X3 cars (6 years)
2. High beam Assistance available on all UK models not just via one package on one trim level - I am not sure whether the Xenon light system removes the need for this yet.
3. An app with connectivity to the vehicle that allows you to programme the destination from the appointment in your phone's calendar - see BMW Connect app for ideas
4. Navigation system to use real time traffic information to update routes.

I appreciate that the last two will require the car to have its own connectivity but the target market for this type of vehicle will expect this to be as much a mobile office as a track missile. BMW covers this with the Professional Navigation system.

The driving experience is great and why I bought the Stelvio, but I do 20K miles a year in the UK and most of those are work miles meaning I would like the car to help me do my job a little more.

Read Only
Some request already ask to arproject maserati in Modena

1) gear number in Drive (D1 D2 ecc)
2) more indicators into vehicle section on 8.8 display such as turbo, oil pressure, voltage not only in Dynamic mode
3) esc off of course
4) temperature sensor locate in a better position
5) better gearbox settings on slow speed, during stop and go

Registered
I'm still in the "very likely" pre-purchase stage so have no easy way to check this, but I've seen complaints in several reviews about the really annoying lane departure warning sound & volume, and how it cannot be adjusted. Is this still an issue or has it already been addressed?

Registered
I'm still in the "very likely" pre-purchase stage so have no easy way to check this, but I've seen complaints in several reviews about the really annoying lane departure warning sound & volume, and how it cannot be adjusted. Is this still an issue or has it already been addressed?
I read/watched those same reviews from professional reviewers and thought it was going to be an issue for me. Now that I've had my car and have almost 2k miles on it, it hadn't bothered me at all. It actually is intuitive since it mimics the sound as if you are driving over those lane departure grooves and makes the sound on the respective side you are departing to. The car certainly makes a bunch of alert noises that caught me off guard since I wasn't used to it and had not owned an Alfa before. But now I'm used to it and doesn't bother me at all. ?

Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
I agree with SocalStelvio + it's easy to toggle in/out (button on end of RH stalk). I am one of those people who actually dozed and drifted into a semi in my previous Jeep (minimal damage except to my ego) that could have been fatal. So when I have used the feature- redeye flight to BWI and 2 hour drive home- it was very much appreciated keeping me alert. Since I travel a lot for work, these things are a 'must have' and I see the benefit in them. Much of my travel is after a show or customer visit.

That said, some of these so-called reviewers are just looking for an angle and many of them are making incorrect assumptions to fill space and get attention and seem relevant (they are in their minds only) so just like CU, I take them with a grain of salt. The original 'fake news' rookie version IMO.

Registered
Thanks for the info. It never went off on either of my test drives (not even sure if either of the two cars I drove had the feature) so wasn't really aware of it until I watched the "Alex on Autos" and another YouTube review. I have the feature on my current Outback and don't find it intrusive, but the Stelvio reviews noted the unique sound made and approached it from a "who thought this was a good idea?" angle.

So at this point I have no real standing to complain, but just threw out the thought that Saildrive might might want to add this to his list: add a volume adjustment for the feature that's separate from the radio volume. No skin off my teeth is this ends up on the cutting room floor. ;-)

Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
Being a little stubborn and 'old school' my wife insisted on the safety packages (how could I complain- the rest of it was my idea?!) But I do see the benefit now and the cost was reasonable. Our USAA insurance agreed- the premium increase is negligible @$56 every 6 months so there could be a fast payback. The volume control for now is 'off' most of the time but overcoming drowsiness is where I see the advantage.

European safety testing is impressive (for the accident avoidance).

Read Only
The very famous 鈥渟o-called鈥 reviewers, peoples that try and drive the car 2 hours max with well clear the idea to talk about the car well or not so bad.

I don鈥檛 like this guys, I prefer feedback from owners, like here

Registered
The very famous 鈥渟o-called鈥 reviewers, peoples that try and drive the car 2 hours max with well clear the idea to talk about the car well or not so bad.

I don鈥檛 like this guys, I prefer feedback from owners, like here
In defense of Alex on Autos, I've always like his reviews and always found his info accurate when it comes to cars I've owned or am very familiar with. They are quite detailed. He spends a week with a car before doing the review. Not quite the same perspective as being an owner, but better than an hour's drive.

OK, I'll shut up now. Back to our regularly scheduled program....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts