Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I’m new to this forum today.
I’m in Europe and looking for some help regarding getting engine parts for a 2018 build Stelvo QV.
Have some light engine damaged due to taken in water in one cylinder.
Alfa will not sell any engine block parts or give any part numbers or information and only want to sell me a complete new engine, which is almost 50% cost of QV.
Does anyone know a Alfa QV engine expert that I could contack?
Rgds Alfa Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you find a totaled Giulia or Stelvio QV and buy a used engine/engine parts?
Hi
Can get plenty on Giulia engines as there’s plenty totaled in the UK due to the cold wet climate, you can imagine the rest yourself!!
the Stelvo is different as the front drive shaft runs just under the crank shaft so not compatible.
Sounds mad that we have to buy a complete new engine in a 4 year old engine design that could be out of warranty or self damaged, regardless of how small the part we might need!!
Crazy....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like an ugly consumer affairs fight. I have seen a complete quad engines pop up last year, forget where that was from though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Alfa Dan - Which parts are you needing? Sounds like at least one piston and rod? Lots of work ahead to say the least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alfa Dan - Which parts are you needing? Sounds like at least one piston and rod? Lots of work ahead to say the least.
Fourced
I need
1 piston and rod and bearings, (know anyone?)
We’re finding the repair very interesting and enjoyable except for the lack of help and support from Alfa.
Be ready when your out of warranty for a heavy bill if you need any bits, it’s a new complete engine or 1 from a totaled.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow, what is the actual damage? And parts needed?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Would be cool to see any pics. How did the water ingestion happen and only affect one cylinder?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
you might try contacting giulia tuner on this thread - he might have some stock pistons available

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would be cool to see any pics. How did the water ingestion happen and only affect one cylinder?
Hi Peter
Was told by previous owner he drove in to 6” of water(maybe to fast) and i think it just got a high wash of water into the left air intake and then followed in to 1 cylinder and then damage to 1 conrod. Will try sending few photos later.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I may have one I could donate if you can share your experience and progress with us all.

The catch might turn out to be if you are needing right bank or left bank as they may not be the same. Im not sure. ??

Fourced
I need
1 piston and rod and bearings, (know anyone?)
We’re finding the repair very interesting and enjoyable except for the lack of help and support from Alfa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may have one I could donate if you can share your experience and progress with us all.

The catch might turn out to be if you are needing right bank or left bank as they may not be the same. Im not sure. ??
Hi Fourced

Thank you for your offer and I would be very happy to share the experience.
It’s the left bank and we are fairly sure there the same both sides,
Find attached photos including the damaged piston and a good one.
Tks again.
to load my photos up now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you might try contacting giulia tuner on this thread - he might have some stock pistons available

Thanks Lost1750 for G Tuner info?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the great pics and please keep them coming as there are precious few of of these masterpieces in captivity!

I purchased one last week as a project and have not taken it apart yet but it has one bank of pistons and rods removed for a water damage repair also. (How the Hell is that Happening?) lol

Your piston pin appears to be offset and I'm having a hard time getting my head around that being possible with pistons that are correct in either bank.

I will get it apart this weekend and report back.

Any advice on supporting the engine is appreciated as a conventional engine stand seems pretty much worthless on these!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the great pics and please keep them coming as there are precious few of of these masterpieces in captivity!

I purchased one last week as a project and have not taken it apart yet but it has one bank of pistons and rods removed for a water damage repair also. (How the Hell is that Happening?) lol

Your piston pin appears to be offset and I'm having a hard time getting my head around that being possible with pistons that are correct in either bank.

I will get it apart this weekend and report back.

Any advice on supporting the engine is appreciated as a conventional engine stand seems pretty much worthless on these!
Fourced
I’m not a mechanic myself and relying on a good friend/mechanic to repair this one??, so excuse my lack of knowledge when answering some of your questions.. but I do love a challenge as you can see...
The pin seems to be centered ok and I think it’s just my photo angle that’s the problem.
My friend Geds used a engine frame as he started stripping and once he got the weight down he made up a metal frame/table with a movable timber top with the center cut out of it, (simple but effective)
The previous owner (a gentleman in his mid 70’s ?) told me he drove in to a dip in the road that had max 6” of water and the QV just stopped, I’m thinking he may have caught a high wash from another car or maybe he was just going to quick,
this QV was not a flood damage purchase.
(which I’m delighted with) the interior was bone dry other than drivers side carpet which was a little damp from when he was getting hooked up and towed away.

The timber box is just a crash barrier? in our small workshop.
Are you saying you have bough an engine only that’s got damage on 1 side only?
What’s your plans for it?
Wouldn’t that be cool in a 79 Alfasub TI
Is it a Giulia or Stelvo engine??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Stelvioquad
Would you be able to send that manual again please, not sure what’s happening but seems to have disappeared on me?
Maybe it’s because I’m looking on my phone now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts