Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally installed the blend radar mount for my Uniden R3 on the Quad. Pretty easy install over all.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like you tapped into the mirror power. Was that easy enough?
Very. The blend mount comes with correct power cord for specific radar units and the ends have slide in taps. On the Guilia forum there was a write up showing where to tap for power. Took 10 min all together.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I ordered an R3 and the mount. It's been years since I've used a radar detector.. but maybe it's time again. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
After some research the R3 seems to be the leading favorite currently. Let me know if you need any install tips.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
taps sizes (2) .040" Red/Black, (2) .045" Red/Black, (2).060" Red/Black, (2) .075" Red/Black

Which ones did you use? :)

Thanks
The .040" and I used the 10" cord.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should have taken a pic when it was apart but when you remove the plastic piece underneath where the yellow arrow indicates is a round sensor. The plug to it has a black and blue wire. Remove the plug from the sensor (pulls out) and slide the red connector into the blue wire, black to black. They slide in back of the connector where the wires enter if that makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks like a clean mount. I would like to go this route but seems like the detector would be a bit low and in my line of sight. I'm 6'3" and dont want it right in my face. Thinking of using the wire tap kit and mounting it up higher maybe on the passenger visor. Haven't had a radar detector since the 90s but the Stelvio seems to want to speed more than my Ram or Jeep ever did.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For those that might be purchasing / installing a radar detector soon, the Uniden R7 (which adds directional arrows and a few other features as compared with the R3) is scheduled to be released in the next month or so.

·
Registered
508 Posts
silly question: Is it a permanent mount or can you take it off easily? I dont want to give anyone an excuse to break into the car just to grab it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
silly question: Is it a permanent mount or can you take it off easily? I dont want to give anyone an excuse to break into the car just to grab it
Temp. You can take off your detector whenever you want.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok. I can’t figure out what the round sensor is. I just keep seeing the big wire bundle. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I'm not sure exactly what the round sensor is. It could be lane detection and/or a feature your car does not have. It's just a power source of which there are several under the mirror housing. Using a volt meter would be the best way to determine a power source as they are not always red wired.

This link for install on the Guilia shows the round sensor...

https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads/diy-radar-detector-install.14762/page-2

And after taking another look at your pics it looks like you have not completely removed the mirror housing from the windshield which you need to do to access that sensor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
And after taking another look at your pics it looks like you have not completely removed the mirror housing from the windshield which you need to do to access that sensor.
Yep,

I figured that out f=after reading the forums. I dropped the whole thing and found wha I believe to be the "round"sensor. I think it is a sensor that is fused in to the larger trim piece with a small 3 wire connector. I used the tap connectors that came with the cord ordered from bled mounts, the black cord broke so I need to get another first or find a larger wire to tap off of.

Thank you for your help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts