Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2019 280 Milano Edizione - Vulcano Black, 20* Dark Petal Wheels, Yellow Calipers, Pan Roof.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Stelvio 2.0 Milano is eighteen months old and has covered just 8,500 miles.
A brake pad warning light recently came on.
Following an inspection, our local dealer informed me that the rear pads have worn out, scoring the rear discs in the process. The fronts are fine.
Alfa Romeo customer care have suggested that there is no fault with the braking system and that this represents normal wear as a consequence of 'driving style'???
I'd therefore be expected to pay to have the pads and discs replaced.
I did ask what kind of driving style could run through a set of rear pads in 8,500 miles leaving the fronts intact, to which they were unable to provide a reply.
Has anyone else had similar issues?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Plenty of people

Id throw some rear Brembo rotors on for $160 and some gg rated ceramic pads fir $45 that will outlast stockers times 4.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Do you wait till the last minute to brake?

Ride the brakes in traffic?

Try to push the rear-end out through sweeping turns?

Drive aggressively through traffic?

Accelerate from stop light to stop light agressivly?

..and generally use the gas in a way that has no regard for the laws of physics, relying on traction control, AWD, and electronics to compensate for you.....all of which use the brakes in some form to maintain control....and has the end result of acting like someonewho drives with both feet, one for gas and one for brake....

Then like Two-foot Timmy, you too may suffer from early brake replacement.

If you do none of these things and have the brakes wear early...be prepared to have the dealer assume you are not being completely truthful and be told the brakes are a wear item and depending on how you drive they can wear fast.

These pads especially wear crazy fast under hard braking when cold. One of the side effects of not suffering a performance loss when not warmed up....and being an organic composition but not ceramic.

Not saying just give in. Saying analyze how you drive. If you don't do those things and generally use a light touch with the brakes...argue with them. Say that. Show you understand the way driving effects wear..which is why you don't drive like that...

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI SPORT AWD 2020 Vesuvio Gray Metallic / Red Interior
59 Posts
I had a Porsche Cayenne S model.. 2015 Model.... I had to re place the pads and the Rotors at about 12k miles..... It was not a fun experience and my poor wallet took the hit from my pants,,,,
No JOKE.... the car stopped on a DIME...THE BRAKE FEEL WAS HARD LIKE A ROCK..... . My Alfa Romeo Stelvio Brakes have no feel no response ; like a dead flat pedal . LIKE BEING IN PADDLE BOAT RIDING THE OCEAN WAVES......SOOO SOOOOFFFFTTTTT...... Where is the Brakes????? I guess Alfa forgot to install the brakes in all Honestly. Porsche has the Best Brakes in the car Industry....... My Porsche Cayenne had one hell of a braking system.... Compare to the Alfa Romeo this car has no feel for the Brakes..... Even with after market rotors and pads the brakes are still like a paddle boat trying to stop it .... goood luck.....
PORSCHE PORSCHE......IS THE CLEAR WINNER SORRY ALFA.... you got to do better then this crap............
John J

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI SPORT AWD 2020 Vesuvio Gray Metallic / Red Interior
59 Posts
I wrote a complaint letter with ALFA ROMEO TODAY.' IN REGARDS TO THE BRAKE SYSTEM,..... SORRY TO SAY THE BRAKE SYSTEM SUCKS.... ON MY ALFA ROMEO STELVIO.... MY BUICK SKYLARK HAD BETTER BRAKES . THEN MY CURRENT ALFA ROMEO AND REALLY THE CAR WAS JUNK.....

John J.....

·
Registered
Stelvio Veloce 280, GTV TS, 159 SW
30 Posts
The fly by wire brakes don’t inspire confidence I agree but they do work well, you just have to brake harder than you’d expect if you need to stop quickly. Not had to do that too often, thankfully.

I did get an adrenalin rush the first couple of times when I thought the car wasn’t going to stop 🙂

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you drive in traffic a lot the wear will be worse. 8,500 miles seems awfully low for such a problem. Usually brake pads are good for around 20,000 to 25,000 miles before they start to really wear out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine are the same, i mentioned that a few months ago and the fan boys shut me up and wrote it off as normal. F...S sake, the rear breaks are junk on this car, can we agree and move on? There might be exceptions but i think most peole know the difference between the brake and gas. So talking to peole like they just started driving yesterday is not advice and is of no help. Thats what dealer service is for..thats who i call if i want just a load of bs

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a Porsche Cayenne S model.. 2015 Model.... I had to re place the pads and the Rotors at about 12k miles..... It was not a fun experience and my poor wallet took the hit from my pants,,,,
No JOKE.... the car stopped on a DIME...THE BRAKE FEEL WAS HARD LIKE A ROCK..... . My Alfa Romeo Stelvio Brakes have no feel no response ; like a dead flat pedal . LIKE BEING IN PADDLE BOAT RIDING THE OCEAN WAVES......SOOO SOOOOFFFFTTTTT...... Where is the Brakes????? I guess Alfa forgot to install the brakes in all Honestly. Porsche has the Best Brakes in the car Industry....... My Porsche Cayenne had one hell of a braking system.... Compare to the Alfa Romeo this car has no feel for the Brakes..... Even with after market rotors and pads the brakes are still like a paddle boat trying to stop it .... goood luck.....
PORSCHE PORSCHE......IS THE CLEAR WINNER SORRY ALFA.... you got to do better then this crap............
John J
I agree on my Macan S the front and rear calipers are Brembo. For a nearly 5,000 pound SUV, it stops the car on a dime. But funny thing is, I was at a red light next to a Maserati Levante and the rear brake calipers were the same as our Stelvios. The front are OEM brembo calipers, however the rear calipers are some cheap FCA garbage. But to have the same rear calipers on a Levante, $120k SUV is hilariously bad.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Front calipers are Brembo. Rear are ATE.

ATE is the company that worked with Continental (who owns them) to develop the electric braking system in the Stelvio and Giulia. Also in the Corvette and the newest BMWs, most other manufactuers. ATE also invented power brakes, and ABS. Thier designs are industrial and focused on function not looks.

Some people think looks affect function. Thinking something doesn't make it true...however it does make billions of dollars in profits. Porsche is and has been one of the most profitable brands in the industry since it's founding. (Which, lets remember was by tricking out a VW Beetle and calling it a sports car. Porsche is the original rebadging/chassis tuning/branding master.)

Hydrulic brakes and electric brakes have a different feel. Electric is an improvment on hydrulic regardless of tactile feel. And what is being complained about here is tacile feel and not function.

Know why it is so hard to come to a complete stop smoothly in an Alfa and not in a Porsche? Same reason why it is possible to burn through the brakes in 10,000 miles or less in the Alfa but not the Porsche so much.

Because the Alfa has softer, grabbier brakes. Means they have the capability to stop better.

If for some reason it doesn't stop better for you...well blame the tool and call people who figure it out fanboys. Makes ya look cool.

First time I heard someone burn through brakes that fast I thought there was an issue too. So I educated myself on the specific compounds used by Alfa....then I adjusted how I drive in order to not burn through them.

Going to get close to 50,000 miles on mine. Must be a fanboy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You figured out what? That the rear breaks are made of crap, so you going to adjust your driving? What exactly is there to adjust? You stay under 25 mph so you dont burn through them.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
If you are driving in a sporty manner, use d (or r) so the stability/ traction control, which utilizes brakes, is being utilized less.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Engine break may help with getting more miles out of your breaks, im sure most owners that have the padle shifters use that plenty.
The fact is 2mm or deeper grooves in my REAR rotors and rust are nothing but proof of crap material. When i replace them will give them away if somebody wants to put them on their car, since they are so "great". Im not saying this is the case on every car but some of us deal w this. Fan boys need not to take it personally. Theres plenty good w this car and a few things that are head scratchers at the very least. Nobodys putting the car down

·
Registered
34 Posts
FYI, if you drive in dynamic mode all the time, when you hit the accelerator and pull your foot rapidly off the gas, the brakes "profile" so basically pre-brake, with the pads just skimming the rotors.
I believe this is what lead to my first set of pads going belly up at about 8500K. There is a thread somewhere here, where Alfa's Pre-braking in Dynamic mode is brought up in discussion on braking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The following is copied from my previous post under a different forum:

#8 · 7 mo ago

Jlongii said:
I’ve got the 2018 Ti Sport. 7800 miles and the check brake pad warning light is on. I’ve got to go to the dealership for a recall so I’ll let them tell me about the brakes. The Stelvio is not driven hard by any stretch of the imagination. I’ll let you know what the outcome is.
Finally got my Stelvio to the dealership and indeed the brake pads were all worn below acceptable tolerances with around 8900 miles. Contacted FCA/Alfa Top Care and they immediately agreed to cover the new brakes under warranty. Great outcome! FCA top care contact that I spoke with was Marvin Yacoub 586-274-8174. Hope this helps anyone else in the same boat.

·
Vendor
16 Posts
We've seen this issue on plenty of 2.0T Giulia and Stelvio models.

I think it's the natural consequence of NOT having a mechanical limited slip differential (except on cars equipped with the Performance Package with the LSD and apaptive dampers). The rear brakes are being used to limit slippage by the traction control and stability control systems.

With some driving styles this can really wear them out quickly, and I wouldn't necessarily limit this to people who drive "hard". It's not that there's anything mechanically wrong with the brakes, they are just being over-used by the electronics in the car.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts