Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Stelvio has a scraping sound coming from the rear area. I thought it must be rear brakes since the car has a little over 44,000 miles on it. Has a rear brake job done, bit still hear the scraping sound intermittently ?
The sound seems to appear when I'm taking off from a stop (stop sign or light), not when braking.
Just started happening out of the blue - zero issues with this car until now.
Anyone else experienced this, or have any ideas ? Input is greatly appreciated !!
JF

· Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Lusso Verde Visconti
214 Posts
Try going into the menus on the radio and turning off the Hill Assist and see if that stops the noise. It could be the pads are dragging as the Hill Assist disengages when pulling away from a stop. Who did the brake job? I wonder if they applied brake lube on the the back of the pads and on the moving surfaces.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try going into the menus on the radio and turning off the Hill Assist and see if that stops the noise. It could be the pads are dragging as the Hill Assist disengages when pulling away from a stop. Who did the brake job? I wonder if they applied brake lube on the the back of the pads and on the moving surfaces.
Thanks for the tip !!
My 2018 model has the Hill Assist (button) on the steering wheel. I engaged it and turned it off several times hoping that was the issue - no luck - still scraping sound when starting after stopping. Closest dealership is in Pensacola (dealership in N.O. closed on me) so I'm trying to get this figured out without driving to Pensacola. Thanks !!

· Registered
656 Posts
Hi there,

If this issue persists, we do suggest making an appointment with your dealership in Pensacola. We understand far trips to the dealer are not ideal, but they are in the best position to help diagnose and repair this issue! If you decide to go that route, please let us know if you need any extra support.

Lex
Alfa Romeo Cares

· Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Lusso Verde Visconti
214 Posts
Thanks for the tip !!
My 2018 model has the Hill Assist (button) on the steering wheel. I engaged it and turned it off several times hoping that was the issue - no luck - still scraping sound when starting after stopping. Closest dealership is in Pensacola (dealership in N.O. closed on me) so I'm trying to get this figured out without driving to Pensacola. Thanks !!
The button on the Steering Wheel is the Hill Descent Control not the Hill Start Assist. From the 2018 Owners Manual:
Hill Start Assist (HSA) System This is an integral part of the ESC system and facilitates starting on slopes, activating automatically in the following cases: Uphill: the vehicle is stationary on a road with a gradient higher than 5%, the engine is running, the brake is pressed, and the transmission is in NEUTRAL (N) or a gear other than REVERSE (R) is engaged. Downhill: the vehicle is stationary on a road with a gradient higher than 5%, the engine is running, the brake is pressed, and the transmission is in REVERSE (R). When setting off, the ESC system control unit maintains the braking pressure on the wheels until the engine torque necessary for starting is reached, or in any case for a maximum of two seconds, allowing your right foot to be moved easily from the brake pedal to the accelerator. The system will automatically deactivate after two seconds without starting, gradually releasing the braking pressure. During this release stage, it is possible to hear a typical mechanical brake release noise, indicating the imminent movement of the vehicle.

It should be possible to turn the Hill Start Assist off but I have a 2021 and there are quite a few differences in the cars infotainment systems.

· Registered
11 Posts
So my Stelvio had been having a similar issue. More like a jingling, clanking , noise from under the car. Sounded like cowboy boot spurs. From rear driver side. Annoying as heck, car drove fine , nothing wrong with the performance of the car. Sound was only at very low speed 4,5,6. MPH. Stop and go traffic just rolling or coming to a stop, you get the picture. It was going on for about 2 weeks or so. I had scheduled an appointment to have my front brake pads done with my independent mechanic so asked him to take a look. So.... It turns out that i had got a flat tire about 2 1/2 weeks ago. ( actually had forget about that adventure). The tire was plugged (I have been planning to replace my tires) a piece of whatever caused the puncture was still INSIDE the tire. That was causing the noise , when I first dropped the car off my mechanic suspected the wheel right away thinking it might be the TPMS sensor . said he has seen them loose and cause a similar effect. Weird stuff.. Anyway back in my car now and happy .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts