Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport 2.0L Volcano Black Metallic/Red Int.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Stelvio Sport was purchased off-lease; i noticed cosmetic flaws upon test driving the vehicle and actually used it as leverage (along with extra mileage on the vehicle not accurate to the dealer listing) to negotiate a couple $$ off MSRP. The biggest cosmetic issues are with the red leather seats; they were very poorly taken care of (if at all) resulting in the cracking and drying out of my leather. Coming from two MB AMG’s with mint condition interiors, the condition of this leather is a disgrace to me.
-I have ordered VIN matched red leather dye specific to my Stelvio’s VIN and interior color code from Seatdoctors.com
-Will not need to restore entire seat on driver/passenger, therefore only ordered a 4 oz bottle to start (smallest/cheapest)
-My backseats are like new (see last 2 photos) except for one tiny scratch in middle seat
-delivery should be some time next week so i will update the after results upon completion, but for now, here is the condition of my leather (definately took the “best-worst” photos lol, looks way worse in close up pictures then it does in person thankfully.
-and yes; i have been cleaning/conditioning/protecting my leather upon purchase, all damage was already enflicted by last owner and a little too far gone for just conditioner.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Veloce 2.0 Petrol Q4
140 Posts
Creasing on the side bolsters is standard leather wear. Had it on mine after 4 short months. But the deep scratches all over the place look like someone enjoyed sitting in the car with a fork in his back pocket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Creasing on the side bolsters is standard leather wear. Had it on mine after 4 short months. But the deep scratches all over the place look like someone enjoyed sitting in the car with a fork in his back pocket.
understood; same with my previous leather interior cars from Mercedes. But yes, damage i figure is from either a dog, transporting big boxes on seats/floor, or people sliding around with objects in back pocket. Will update once shipment is here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following this thread. I have to fix a sanitizer accident on my red interior too. About the size of a quarter.
Love your Ti Seats; wanted one but couldnt pass up the deal on my purchase (also one of the only used vehicles on lot that day with brand new brakes/tires). I will be trading in soon for a 2021 Ti Sport with the nero edizione package and new black/smoke led tail lights. Since covid ive had my share of sanitizer spills lol, luckily wiped them up very quickly without issue. Im guessing yours happened at night (cant clean it if you cant see it lol)

·
Registered
19 Vulcano Black TI Sport
73 Posts
Love your Ti Seats; wanted one but couldnt pass up the deal on my purchase (also one of the only used vehicles on lot that day with brand new brakes/tires). I will be trading in soon for a 2021 Ti Sport with the nero edizione package and new black/smoke led tail lights. Since covid ive had my share of sanitizer spills lol, luckily wiped them up very quickly without issue. Im guessing yours happened at night (cant clean it if you cant see it lol)
Your 2021 spec is like mine. Black with nero, taillights are regular.

The sanitizer was a gel consistancy, very thick, cheap stuff that was coming out shortly after the pandemic started. Since Purell was sold out, had to get some crap from 7-11. The cap was loose, and spilled onto the seat, maybe 10 minutes on it max. I wiped it and color came off! This is lease, really need to get it fixed before I'm sent a hefty bill when I return it. :cry:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Whatever made those bad scratches was some real abuse.

Not just a dog...Cujo.

The 4yr 90lb pitbull I have hasn't managed to make a scratch on my seats and he is not a gentle dog. Sweet..excited...not gentle. ..and keep in mind I don't trim his nails and he gets walked in the desert so they dont get filed down by concrete...those things are basically claws. I don't let him on the seats on purpose..but...he gets on 'em sometimes.

Driver's seats...and bed pillows....he just loves them so much.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your 2021 spec is like mine. Black with nero, taillights are regular.

The sanitizer was a gel consistancy, very thick, cheap stuff that was coming out shortly after the pandemic started. Since Purell was sold out, had to get some crap from 7-11. The cap was loose, and spilled onto the seat, maybe 10 minutes on it max. I wiped it and color came off! This is lease, really need to get it fixed before I'm sent a hefty bill when I return it. :cry:
Yes; I cant wait to pick one up.. love my 2018 and even made my own Nero package on it, but not willing to put money into the 20 inch wheels I want (I have 19”) along with more money/installation on those new tail lights..and obviously the fact that its already a few years old now and mileage goes up quickly as i average more miles per year than the average Joe. So used Quad or 2021 Ti Sport; when the time comes.

Well I suppose the question will be, are you planning on purchasing another Alfa from that dealer? I ask because I doubt that they will nickel and dime you for the seats if you are a returning customer. Even if not; Im sure there’s been worse damage brushed under the rug on some of their leases. Yours is minor I wouldn’t worry.

·
Registered
19 Vulcano Black TI Sport
73 Posts
Yes; I cant wait to pick one up.. love my 2018 and even made my own Nero package on it, but not willing to put money into the 20 inch wheels I want (I have 19”) along with more money/installation on those new tail lights..and obviously the fact that its already a few years old now and mileage goes up quickly as i average more miles per year than the average Joe. So used Quad or 2021 Ti Sport; when the time comes.

Well I suppose the question will be, are you planning on purchasing another Alfa from that dealer? I ask because I doubt that they will nickel and dime you for the seats if you are a returning customer. Even if not; Im sure there’s been worse damage brushed under the rug on some of their leases. Yours is minor I wouldn’t worry.
My local dealer is no more. Im 55/45 on getting a QV vs a GLC 63 amg. Really difficult decision.

I probably wont get dinged. Other than that, immaculate, no swirl marks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My local dealer is no more. Im 55/45 on getting a QV vs a GLC 63 amg. Really difficult decision.

I probably wont get dinged. Other than that, immaculate, no swirl marks.
Wouldnt be difficult for me.. I am an amg enthusiast and cannot wait to get into another one. I would take the AMG. That being said, I would only take it if it were the GLC63 S. Both 4 matic transmissions (awd); but the S is what has more power output compared to the QV. if power was the main concern and I only had the option to get the standard GLC63 (non-S model), then i would chose the Alfa Quad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whatever made those bad scratches was some real abuse.

Not just a dog...Cujo.

The 4yr 90lb pitbull I have hasn't managed to make a scratch on my seats and he is not a gentle dog. Sweet..excited...not gentle. ..and keep in mind I don't trim his nails and he gets walked in the desert so they dont get filed down by concrete...those things are basically claws. I don't let him on the seats on purpose..but...he gets on 'em sometimes.

Driver's seats...and bed pillows....he just loves them so much.....
Haha; indeed. Something fierce took part in the destruction of these seats. And to refer back to the ‘deal’ i mentioned above; i was told the dealership manager was using this vehicle as his personal loaner to himself for about 1k miles before being brought back to the lot. That is why the mileage on the seller listing did not add up to a significant extent when i arrived to see the car.. lets just say I was pissed and set my own price for the car or told them I would wak out ( along with the other cosmetic flaws i found that were not pictured in listing). All in all i walked out happy with more money in pocket than planned. but these seats are just...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Leather repair is part skill part art. Contact a local high end leather furniture store and ask them who they use for leather touch up....a good repair tech can do color matches that are outstanding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leather repair is part skill part art. Contact a local high end leather furniture store and ask them who they use for leather touch up....a good repair tech can do color matches that are outstanding.
This dye that I ordered is VIN matched; high end store sounds like high end price; and applying the dye is a simple, straight forward process that would concern me very deeply about someone if they couldnt accomplish the repair themselves. But thank you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
This dye that I ordered is VIN matched; high end store sounds like high end price; and applying the dye is a simple, straight forward process that would concern me very deeply about someone if they couldnt accomplish the repair themselves. But thank you!
You're welcome. In my experience good leather techs are worth their weight in gold....especially if you drive the job to them instead of them driving out to you.

Leather repairs tend to involve more than dabbling on color....bonding, sanding and grain matching all depend on the nature of the damage. And since leather is a natural product that has already been dyed once at the tannery color matching isn't always an exact science.

Just like metal body work, some jobs are worth tackling yourself...and some are not. All depends on your level of expectations with the results.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do... 😷

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're welcome. In my experience good leather techs are worth their weight in gold....especially if you drive the job to them instead of them driving out to you.

Leather repairs tend to involve more than dabbling on color....bonding, sanding and grain matching all depend on the nature of the damage. And since leather is a natural product that has already been dyed once at the tannery color matching isn't always an exact science.

Just like metal body work, some jobs are worth tackling yourself...and some are not. All depends on your level of expectations with the results.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do... 😷
I understand where you’re coming from. Therefore, I apologize for not being specific about my goal end result. I do not plan on keeping this car; even for the remaining length of my finance. (5 yr finance/paid full in 3 yrs) I’d like to get into the 2021 Stelvio Ti Sport soon. My main objective is to mostly cover the small scratches; the ones that could just use some color swabbing even if it doesn’t look perfect. Some blending techniques should help with the final look. But as far as the ‘damage’ aspect of the seats; ill see what i can do with such a limited kit but i do not expect to have the seats looking brand new. Thanks again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:
Product arrived in Palm Beach early this morning; as long as the bottle is not damaged from shipment; I expect to tackle this over the next week and will update photos.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I understand where you’re coming from. Therefore, I apologize for not being specific about my goal end result. I do not plan on keeping this car; even for the remaining length of my finance. (5 yr finance/paid full in 3 yrs) I’d like to get into the 2021 Stelvio Ti Sport soon. My main objective is to mostly cover the small scratches; the ones that could just use some color swabbing even if it doesn’t look perfect. Some blending techniques should help with the final look. But as far as the ‘damage’ aspect of the seats; ill see what i can do with such a limited kit but i do not expect to have the seats looking brand new. Thanks again!
No apology necessary. I spent my entire career in upholstery manufacturing and have seen the good, bad and ugly of leather repairs. Best of luck with your project. 😷

·
Registered
356 Posts
Some people are always forking up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
what I do is take towel and warm water and wipe down my seats, steering wheel, and leather dashboard and upper leather doors about every two weeks. Then let it air out for a few minutes. Leather needs to be hydrated just like skin. If not then it cracks and creases like in the OPs photos. It’s not a complicated process but most lease owners don’t really care about routine vehicle maintenance.

Reactions: SoFlo_Stelvio
1 - 20 of 23 Posts