Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my 2016 Jeep SRT this summer, it couldn’t stay out of the shop. Bought a beautiful brand new pickup, only to realize my addiction for fast SUV was in my bones. Now I’m looking to purchase a stelvio quad.....am I brain damaged?

·
Registered
478 Posts
No. It should be more or less dependable (assuming you don’t have issues with the OEM battery or are willing to throw it on a tender once a month). Most of the issues are specifically with electronic reliability. You may get gremlins, most of them won’t strand you.
Don’t run a QV out of gas (or really low on gas) and you shouldn’t get the press car issues.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I wouldn't say Alfa and reliability go hand in hand :p But even "reliable" cars can be bad, so you just never know. Purchase or lease? If it's a lease I would say do it, purchase think about how long you plan on owning the car and what potentially could happen if Alfa leaves the US market again

·
Registered
542 Posts
I personally have had non stop problems with my Stelvio (just dropped it off at the service center again this morning) but I don't think that's the norm. As mentioned above, most of the issues people had have been electrical.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't have a Quad but I love my Stelvio. To have 505 HP would be way too much fun I think.

Mine is 18 months old and just a few glitches but way less than my GMC yukon.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Mine is also a non-quad (it's only money right?) but have had less issues than with my previous BMW X3. In general, I can say that my Stelvio has been nearly perfect.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
my stelvio, q4 petrol 280cv (more or less ;) )many issues but right now, with the diagnostic computer every time with me, the car is funny, service bad, dealers speechless

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jan '19 build date -- delivered March 15 -- non quad but no issues in almost one year. The only trip to the dealer was for the fuel guage recall which was a waste of time cause I couldn't tell any difference between before and after the flash.

Reactions: John Santamaria

·
Registered
189 Posts
I forget the exact build date of my 2019 Quad But it’s early 2019. Like most people the only problem was the Varta battery. Once it was replaced I haven’t had any issues. I have just over 10,000 km on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Ti Sport (July 2018 build), 5K miles, 14 months. I have been to the dealer once, for a scheduled oil change and fuel gauge recall. The only "problem" I've had is needing to reset the sunroof twice. This is the most reliable new car I have ever owned. Love driving it, so much fun!

·
Registered
174 Posts
2019 Ti Sport (July 2018 build), 5K miles, 14 months. I have been to the dealer once, for a scheduled oil change and fuel gauge recall. The only "problem" I've had is needing to reset the sunroof twice. This is the most reliable new car I have ever owned. Love driving it, so much fun!
It has 5k miles. It's basically brand new, it better be ?

·
235 Posts
My 2019 that I've had since early May 2019 has 14K miles and is my daily driver.

The only visits to the dealer have been for the 10K oil change, and an infotainment system update. I replaced the Varta battery with an Interstate at 8K miles. Not because of any problems, just to prevent any possible Varta battery errors before they happened.

One time a gas pump jockey filled it with regular gas. No self-serve gas in Oregon. It ran OK for a day and then the instrument panel lit up with lots of errors and the engine went into limp mode. By then there was less than a half tank of gas left. I filled it with premium and limp mode went away and then the various errors disappeared one by one over the next 12 hours.

Otherwise it is been totally reliable and, of course, a joy to drive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Now 30,000 miles on my ‘18 Ti, 23k since last April when I bought it as dealer demo. No issues. Everything works. Battery still good. Brakes are still good. Radiator good.

Reactions: OhioF1

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I wouldn't say Alfa and reliability go hand in hand :p But even "reliable" cars can be bad, so you just never know. Purchase or lease? If it's a lease I would say do it, purchase think about how long you plan on owning the car and what potentially could happen if Alfa leaves the US market again
annnddddd then maybe buy it anyway bc life is too short ??‍♂

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2018 Ti in January, and love the styling and performance - when I do drive it. The vehicle had about 30,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Now the bad side; since owning it I have had several problems, the most being with the electronic throttle control and associated systems. In fact, right now, my vehicle has been at the dealership about 30 days. A combination of another issue with the throttle control, this time related to the turbo charger and the dealer being swamped with vehicles due to another dealership closed for service due to moving to a new location.
I am not very happy with the reliability of the vehicle and there has been far too many issues for a vehicle with now only about 33,000 miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There have been many posts on this board about the reliability of Alfas. The way I see it, first you have to decide if you want one. If you do, then you have to be willing to roll the dice on reliability. When I saw ads for very reasonable lease rates last Fall, I decided my desire to drive one outweighed my concern about reliability and I would (reluctantly) put up with any issues that arose. Nevertheless, to hedge my bets, leasing allowed me to enjoy driving the car under protection of the warranty. This doesn't keep the car out of the shop, but at least any breakdowns are covered, and if the car proved unreliable I could turn it in after 3 years. So far, after 13 months and 3500 miles (damn that COVID-19), I love driving the car, and I haven't had any issues other than the 2 recalls which I haven't attended to yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get your point. And yes, it is fun to drive and it turns a lot of heads. I thought that with technology being readily available, and with being part of FCA, meaning even more engineering resources, that there would not be many issues. I am not ready to throw in the (shop) towel, yet. But if the reliability issues continue...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I get your point. And yes, it is fun to drive and it turns a lot of heads. I thought that with technology being readily available, and with being part of FCA, meaning even more engineering resources, that there would not be many issues. I am not ready to throw in the (shop) towel, yet. But if the reliability issues continue...
I am totally empathetic to your situation, but it's a bit like apples and oranges. Yes, I took a risk, but it was a brand new car. You took an even bigger risk buying a used one. To quote the line repeated by the Kevin Kline character in "Silverado": "just bad luck." If you were to read all the posts in this forum, you would find that even people buying new Alfas have had problems ("bad luck") while others, like me, report no issues at all. As I said before, people should realize buying an Alfa is not like buying a Toyota, there is a risk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts