Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m awaiting for my 2021 Stelvio to arrive any day now. It has been produced in December and it’s taking them forever to deliver it. I'm reluctant to admit it, but the more I read and research about the vehicle, more worried I get. Thinking about a new car I didn't even think about Stelvio, but on one occasion I accidentally drove it and fell in love with the ride. It was a compulsive purchase. Now that I've turned on the ratio, I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I have been driving Mazdas since 2011 and I have never had a single problem with them. Please comfort me 😁

Latest thing I found:

Reliability and customer satisfaction survey, made on a sample of 60.000 car owners in Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal (results in percentage):

RELIABILITY SATISFACTION
Lexus 95 89
Subaru 93 87
Toyota 91 86
Mitsubishi 89 83
Kia 89 84
Suzuki 89 83
Hyundai 87 83
Honda 87 87
Mazda 85 87
Seat 85 83
Dacia 85 81
Skoda 84 84
Nissan 82 81
DS Automobiles 82 81
Volkswagen 82 83
Smart 82 82
Peugeot 82 81
Mercedes-Benz 82 85
BMW 82 85
Mini 82 85
Ford 80 82
Citroën 80 80
Audi 80 84
Volvo 80 86
Renault 80 80
Ssangyong 80 81
Porsche 76 92
Opel 76 79
Fiat 76 77
Jeep 72 81
Lancia 68 77
Chevrolet 68 76
Jaguar 68 87
Land Rover 64 82
Alfa Romeo 64 84
Tesla 60 91

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
You should grab a nice glass of wine, settle in and do a search for the various threads and explosive conversations about this topic. It's better than most reality shows if you like drama.

All I can say is 2018, no problems, enjoy driving it more now then when I bought it. Mazda makes a great car, if I was given one...I'de sell it and get an Alfa. Just my opinion.

(I can, and have said more actually but trying something new, not arguing or setting myself up for one.)

Be nice to have a source for the reliability study, but really it doesn't matter. How many Stelvio's were sold in Spain, is Alfa a huge seller there? Most likely....that survey didn't include more than one or two Stelvio/Giulia owners, and other Alfa's don't share anything with these cars. Not even the factory...brand new factory for these cars.

·
Registered
746 Posts
More comfort, maybe. There is another recent thread here on factory recalls. Alfa tied for least # of recalls last year---beat all the Germans, Toyota and even Mazda. Yeah, I know, a lack of recalls may just indicate resistance to admitting problems. But, other FCA vehicles had more recalls--same parent as Alfa at the time, now Stellantis. Also, if due diligence was exercised with the recalls, it is a good indicator for Alfa.

Over two years ago, I was a bit nervous too. Now, I am already starting to pick out my next Alfa. You are gonna love driving winding Serbian roads.

·
Administrator
693 Posts
How many Stelvio's were sold in Spain, is Alfa a huge seller there?
They are a big seller with the Spanish police. 97 Stelvios in 2019, and now another recent order of 301 Stelvios.

From the latter article (translated):

Besides Spain, the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio serve police in other parts of the world, such as Romania, the Emirate of Dubai and of course in Italy.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Fleet sales are a huge part of how the big guys get to be the big guys. Especially Ford, basically the entire econoline, line.

@Tom I wasn't thinking about those sales, slipped my mind! Still doubt they returned any consumer questionaires on reliability. Could be though, Hopefully they were among the people with good reliability! They bought them expecting it according to that article posted awhile ago.

·
Registered
746 Posts
@Alfie
Unfortunately, not gonna happen. The US Gov, and I suspect most states, has "buy US first" laws on the books. Very rare exceptions to this at US Gov level (like if the US does not have the technology/ability to make it to the required specs). That aint gonna happen. Too much $$ at stake.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
You should grab a nice glass of wine, settle in and do a search for the various threads and explosive conversations about this topic. It's better than most reality shows if you like drama.

All I can say is 2018, no problems, enjoy driving it more now then when I bought it. Mazda makes a great car, if I was given one...I'de sell it and get an Alfa. Just my opinion.

(I can, and have said more actually but trying something new, not arguing or setting myself up for one.)

Be nice to have a source for the reliability study, but really it doesn't matter. How many Stelvio's were sold in Spain, is Alfa a huge seller there? Most likely....that survey didn't include more than one or two Stelvio/Giulia owners, and other Alfa's don't share anything with these cars. Not even the factory...brand new factory for these cars.
Mazda forgot how to build a motor with any reasonable HP.3.75yrs on my TiS. Needed a rear hatch switch cleaned. Got a grain of sand in it....Just 2 oil changes and rear pads at 24K
Owned my 1993 164L for 109yrs, ~84000 miles. Only thing it EVR needed was seals on german ZF tranny at 60K.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
1,245 Posts
Mazda forgot how to build a motor with any reasonable HP.3.75yrs on my TiS. Needed a rear hatch switch cleaned. Got a grain of sand in it....Just 2 oil changes and rear pads at 24K
Owned my 1993 164L for 109yrs, ~84000 miles. Only thing it EVR needed was seals on german ZF tranny at 60K.
You realize the cx5 2.5 has 256hp and 320tq? It also was tuned for 87-93, and doesnt care what oil you put in it, within reason. I wish I could get a Stelvio with this engine.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
1,245 Posts
@Alfie
Unfortunately, not gonna happen. The US Gov, and I suspect most states, has "buy US first" laws on the books. Very rare exceptions to this at US Gov level (like if the US does not have the technology/ability to make it to the required specs). That aint gonna happen. Too much $$ at stake.
Berry Compliance.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
1,245 Posts
OP, I have the same concerns. Ive deduced that they aren't very reliable, but they ARE fun and unique. Pay to play. Im heavily considering/pretty much decided to get a 2022 Veloce myself, because I've not found anything that checks the boxes it does. Roll the dice.

Stelvio has okay power, and is RWD based, has a good awd system, and 50/50 weight distribution. The BMW X3 is the closest architectural competitor, as Audi and MB are both front heavy. I wouldnt really say BMW holds a reliability edge either, and the Alfa is way more unique, so thats why Inwent with it. If you want fwd and front heavy, rdx,cx5,etc. The cx5 I had was very very well made and fun, but when pushed, its front heavy nature just couldn't be hid. You just cannot hide that. Not that the cars cant turn good numbers, but you must drive them differently, and I really like neutral cars.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You realize the cx5 2.5 has 256hp and 320tq? It also was tuned for 87-93, and doesnt care what oil you put in it, within reason. I wish I could get a Stelvio with this engine.
Not quite. Mazda 2.5T gets 250 hp (not 256) and only on 93 Octane. Go to 87 and it torpedos to 227hp. Torque drops to 310 on 87.

Quote from my Stelvio owner's manual: "Fuel: 87 Octane Minimum, 91 Recommended"
280hp, 306 tq. I have never used 87 yet, but I know I could if I had to, in a pinch. Yeah, I test drove a couple CX-5s with that motor. It's a very good car. But the Stelvio stock throttle response was much better in D.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
1,245 Posts
Not quite. Mazda 2.5T gets 250 hp (not 256) and only on 93 Octane. Go to 87 and it torpedos to 227hp. Torque drops to 310 on 87.

Quote from my Stelvio owner's manual: "Fuel: 87 Octane Minimum, 91 Recommended"
280hp, 306 tq. I have never used 87 yet, but I know I could if I had to, in a pinch. Yeah, I test drove a couple CX-5s with that motor. It's a very good car. But the Stelvio stock throttle response was much better in D.
It gets 256 per Mazda for 2022 in the cx5, which is stelvio sized more or less. The stelvio doesn't grt max power on 87 either, they just decline to elaborate.

I am curious your other comparison thoughts between the two, aside throttle response.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It gets 256 per Mazda for 2022 in the cx5, which is stelvio sized more or less. The stelvio doesn't grt max power on 87 either, they just decline to elaborate.

I am curious your other comparison thoughts between the two, aside throttle response.
Yup, I was looking at a 2021 CX5. Six more now. The ones I test drove were 250 and they were noticeably more sluggish that the Stelvio. Six more horses would not be noticeable. Other comparison thoughts? The rear wheel bias on the Stelvio, combined with the powertrain and how the ZF-8 speed is programmed, the precise turn in, and the palpable planted confidence of the Giorgio platform had little to no competition from the CX5. It is engineering art. Won the beauty contest, too. CX5 had a nicer interior, fit and finish were excellent, ergonomics very good. I like the CX5, looks nice, hints of Stelvio from the rear even. But I would never trade in my Stelvio for one. You really need to test drive one. Words can get close, but cannot fully communicate how we actual owners feel behind the wheel. You have to drive an Alfa to "get it."

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I can't give you a source, my source is a high level tech for Mazda USA.

He told me a large portion of the skyactive valvetrain is leased from FCA. Not sure what, or how it's modified.

(Not uncommon, VW pays royalties to Magneti Marelli on every DSG tranny, MM invented the clutching tech)

Air....Sky....makes sense.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
1,245 Posts
Yup, I was looking at a 2021 CX5. Six more now. The ones I test drove were 250 and they were noticeably more sluggish that the Stelvio. Six more horses would not be noticeable. Other comparison thoughts? The rear wheel bias on the Stelvio, combined with the powertrain and how the ZF-8 speed is programmed, the precise turn in, and the palpable planted confidence of the Giorgio platform had little to no competition from the CX5. It is engineering art. Won the beauty contest, too. CX5 had a nicer interior, fit and finish were excellent, ergonomics very good. I like the CX5, looks nice, hints of Stelvio from the rear even. But I would never trade in my Stelvio for one. You really need to test drive one. Words can get close, but cannot fully communicate how we actual owners feel behind the wheel. You have to drive an Alfa to "get it."
Thankyou! I found this very useful (no sarcasm).

As to 6bhp, that's still 200% more than the entire WRX redesign brought, lol!

How did the cx5 feel for rigidity and rattles etc vs the stelvio?

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
@Jwg223 also..you aren't thinking of the driveshaft.

Carbon fiber driveshaft on Alfa's really effects power delivery, especially from a roll. Engine revs faster and there is less power lost to the drivetrain. Really makes the Stelvio feel more responsive than the numbers. Cruising along steady speed, if you nail the gas to jump into an opening in traffic or get in front of someone for a lane change, so much less lag than other cars.

Isn't a Vette, and doesn't have the train-like torque of a hybrid.. but it has its charms.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts