Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been noticing a very fast drop in resale values according to Edmunds and KBB,especially in the last few months..There is a huge glut of all used vehicles,and new car sales have been pretty bad since the fall, so it could be everything not just the Stelvio.

My TI sport stickered for $52,240 and it looks like it's worth about $32K (range seems to be 30.5K to 34K) on a trade in with only 7K miles.Pretty lame,but not unexpected really.Even with the huge (HUGE) discount I got buying this I am still underwater.

It seems my Audi's dropped just as fast so maybe i should not be surprised.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sticker is immaterial , what counts is what you paid, and what someone else will pay for a used whatever later.
And if you are comparing your retail purchase price with a wholesale selling price ....
People who are concerned about depreciation should never buy new cars. Pretty simple.
Buy used, let someone else take the hit.
Plenty of people do short term leases, accepting and ok with the cost of always having something new.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I leased my Stelvio TI last week and couldn’t believe the deal. $14k off mrsp. From $54k to capital cost of $40k. Payments only $475 no money down and taxes in payment
About the same deal i got on a purchase.Was going to buy used but it made sense with that kind of discount.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sticker is immaterial , what counts is what you paid, and what someone else will pay for a used whatever later.
And if you are comparing your retail purchase price with a wholesale selling price ....
People who are concerned about depreciation should never buy new cars. Pretty simple.
Buy used, let someone else take the hit.
Plenty of people do short term leases, accepting and ok with the cost of always having something new.
I waiting for Lost get bored with his Quad.. for me to buy it.... :grin

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm thinking for the thrifty, there will be a number of good deals on slightly used ALFA's coming around in about two years, or less; not that there aren't a bunch of good deals out there already if you like new.

There are parts that wear, but other than those, my 3 prior used ALFA's drove and ran like they wanted to be at the track, and I expect the new ALFA's coming to the USA will be around one way or another for a long time!

:wink

Freaking A.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been noticing a very fast drop in resale values according to Edmunds and KBB,especially in the last few months..There is a huge glut of all used vehicles,and new car sales have been pretty bad since the fall, so it could be everything not just the Stelvio.

My TI sport stickered for $52,240 and it looks like it's worth about $32K (range seems to be 30.5K to 34K) on a trade in with only 7K miles.Pretty lame,but not unexpected really.Even with the huge (HUGE) discount I got buying this I am still underwater.

It seems my Audi's dropped just as fast so maybe i should not be surprised.
Identical scenario for, to the dollar. But traded in for new QV msrp 87000 for 65500 so the pain was minimal!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was at Miller Motor Cars to service the Stelvio today...they had a Stelvio Ti Sport on display...nicely equipped ($48 K Sticker)....$ 3 K down, 10 K miles, 499 per month...and Miller is not known to be a "discount" dealer.....D

·
Registered
24 Posts
i put 5k down on my lease and have bought a few add ons for my stelvio. I love the care and was gun shy to by any new Italian car bc of the history. I would like to buy out the lease as I am under the mileage annually and have some investment in the car. We will have to see.

·
Super Moderator
1,489 Posts
No vehicle (depreciating asset) qualifies as an 'investment'- even classics are risky. Most in the demographic buy for esthetic and emotional reasons and have been richly rewarded.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Get a Porsche if you want strong resale value.
I have just ordered a 2019 Cayman GTS. While waiting for my build to lock (75 days) I looked a Car Gurus almost every day. 2018 Cayman GTS with less than 6,000 miles (many 2,000 miles) with original MSRP of ~ $95,000 were being offered by dealers for $78,000-$82,000 (this is dealer sale price - your trade-in valeu would be much lower)

Assuming the dealer would drop their sale price further shows that no car is immune.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was at Miller Motor Cars to service the Stelvio today...they had a Stelvio Ti Sport on display...nicely equipped ($48 K Sticker)....$ 3 K down, 10 K miles, 499 per month...and Miller is not known to be a "discount" dealer.....D
Dino, I did okay on the Silverstone/Brown Ti Sport. $53,440 for $42,000, but realize now I probably could have gotten at least another $1,000. These cars are an absolute steal. I just bought a Trofeo White Stelvio Quadrifoglio this week for $20k off. Was the dealership owner’s demo. Only had 500 miles on it. Had Xpel and C.Quartz Ceramic coated this week, and got it home tonight. Deals are SO good, almost want to scoop up yet another one. :big-grin

BTW, I think Rich Geremia, former GM at Alfa/Lamborghini/Maserati/Bentley/Rolls of Boston just moved down to Miller. He’s a good guy. Hope you get to meet him next time you are in there.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
"Deals are SO good, almost want to scoop up yet another one.'

my conundrum - I think the SQ is the best car out there, but do I need two of them?

or do I think about something that might be a little better, on the right day AND the right road, when I might not have the need for 4 doors or cargo.
of course I could solve that "little better thing" by putting Corsas on in summer and using the standard tires for spring and fall ....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dino, I did okay on the Silverstone/Brown Ti Sport. $53,440 for $42,000, but realize now I probably could have gotten at least another $1,000. These cars are an absolute steal. I just bought a Trofeo White Stelvio Quadrifoglio this week for $20k off. Was the dealership owner’s demo. Only had 500 miles on it. Had Xpel and C.Quartz Ceramic coated this week, and got it home tonight. Deals are SO good, almost want to scoop up yet another one. :big-grin

BTW, I think Rich Geremia, former GM at Alfa/Lamborghini/Maserati/Bentley/Rolls of Boston just moved down to Miller. He’s a good guy. Hope you get to meet him next time you are in there.
TROFEO WHITE SQ's are TEMPTING ME !!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
TROFEO WHITE SQ's are TEMPTING ME !!!!
One of the better Stelvio QV combos. Chambers has 3 of the Trofeo White 2018 leftovers. Was quoted $70k for $86,940 vehicle, but figure you could get another grand or so off. If you’re interested, I might be able to help to get them to sharpen their pencil. Like Miller, they are normally the biggest discounters, but suspect they will bend a bit more now. My best friend and I bought ours at the same moment from Kelly Alfa just after they closed their Alfa Dealership, but know Chambers may be more flexible now having lost two QV sales.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts