Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was adding windshield washer fluid when I noticed that the insulation on one of the wires near the under-hood charging connection had been partially removed. Right down to bare wire in a few places. It is +12 volts rather than a ground wire.

The only thing I can think that might have caused this is a rodent of some type decided to gnaw away at it. I don't check under the hood very often, so I don't know when this damage might have occurred.

I haven't spotted any other damage.

I'll probably paint it with liquid insulation and then wrap with electrical tape. At next service, I'll ask if they have a replacement cable to repair it properly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yup, looks like rodents in there for a snack. Some wiring insulation and harnesses have soy in them---read about Honda and Toyota in particular in the past. Had a rodent chew a gas tank vent line in my former Ram 1500. Had to get a new gas tank. After that, it was war. Used the anti rodent spray around the vehicle when parked, sprayed some in the wheel wells. Also read that peppermint oil keeps them away. Bought a few small magnetized spice cannisters, poked a few holes in each, then put some cotton disks soaked in peppermint oil in them and stuck them in various spots of the undercarriage and one in the back of the engine bay.

Never had a rodent issue after that and did not lose one cannister---strong magnets.

Best to take some defensive action unless you have a safer place to park. Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chipmunks have eat a wiring harness on my father-in-laws Ford 3 times! He has tried all types of deterrents and has resorted to putting his big truck in the garage and leaving his wife's little SUV outside. She isn't a fan of that but he isn't a fan of $300 wiring hardness replacements. He does live in the country and has started trying shooting the little pest with a BB gun but they are fast and he is 70+ and slow, so he is 1 for 10 so far o_O They taunt him, setting in this flower box on the window sill and eat his flowers, it's kind of funny.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Should have mentioned before...

I haven't had rodents eat wiring in the Stelvio. I have found poop in the engine bay though. Washed the engine bay every couple days for a few weeks and after washing, sprayed a mixture of peppermint and cayenne pepper essential oils in the bay. Seemed to get rid of them. Dont overspraythe oil a little goes a long way

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you have full insurance coverage most companies are covering rodent damage, at least for now. I expect some to put exclusions on new policies because it is costing them big dollars. A friend of mine had his Toyota in twice and the insurance company paid out thousands of dollars. They are the ones, not the dealer that told him the true cause. Seems the auto company wanted to go green and used soy to cover the wires. Soy covered wires are just giving rodents a place to feast. Watch for more of this type of thing in our lives if we get the "New Green Deal".

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've got traps (snap type and glue type) hidden in my garage just for this reason.
When I leave the alfa for any extended period of time, I place a glue trap next to
each tire just to catch anything that may wander by.

My sister left her (new) vehicle for an extended overseas trip....rodents chewed up a couple of wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My parents had a chipmunk feast on the electrical system of their Prius. $8500 fix (ins covered) that took the dealer a month to sort out. Have traps set all over the garage now as I can’t imagine the bill for same damage to one of our girls. 😳

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Pretty dirty under there. Try opening hood once a month!! Just for reasons like this. Traps all over my garage and Moth balls under wheels of winter stored vehicles. Stinks but it works.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I had a the check engine light come on in my Boxster. Showed an electrical issue. Drove 110 (or so)miles to the dealer.

Tech told me the harness was wedged up between the firewall and the engine. When he reached in to check it a really pissed off chipmunk jumped out.

It was $1500 I think.

·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Video card in my computer failed and it took some time to get a replacement. Anyway, I'm back now.

My container of liquid insulation was dried out and the local Lowes store doesn't have any in stock. So I ordered some from Amazon which should arrive soon. I haven't had a chance to do a thorough check for any other places where this might have happened.

Bummer about the soy based insulation. I wonder if there is something really bad tasting that could be painted on the wiring.

sprayed a mixture of peppermint and cayenne pepper essential oils in the bay
Where did you get these oils and how did you mix them for spraying? Dilute them in water?

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts