Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
depends on what you plan to carry.
you might check thule.com to see specialized or general purpose designs, see what type suits your needs.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the thule wing bar version; it gives a slightly wider loading area than the edge version (which I had for my Land Rover Discovery).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got the factory ones from my dealer. They work great and are easy to install. A bit noisy at about 80 mph. Otherwise great.

I was able to get them free by complaining nicely to Alfa Care about my displeasure about not getting car play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alfa Fan-
Can you open the sunroof unrestricted with the factory racks? I have seen others post that with the Thule you cannot.
Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just fitted the Thule Wing Bars today and they are perfect. Panoramic sunroof opens without issue and I can now carry my kayak and bikes;)
Looks good. How easy to take on and off? I want to pick some up but only want them on when I need them rather than full time.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,489 Posts
Agreed. Have to admit, wish I'd have held out for these. The OEMs stayed on for 48 hours- too much air noise for me. For Sale if any interest PM me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I ordered these Turtle bars off Ebay for $167 but, the seller said they had a supply issue and canceled my order. I'm now thinking about these other ones on Ebay for $129.99. It's not that I'm cheap but the Thule for 500 seems a bit high especially when I'll only use them 1-2 times per year to hold a cargo box. Anyone with cheapo Ebay crossbar experience?

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
True! Probably wont be doing 100mph with a load but, it could happen. My 13 yr old duaghter busted me for doing 98mph with her Life360 app. Who knew she could track my speed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Picked these up at Harbor Frieght for $55 after a 20% coupon for my wife's Rav4. Thought I would try them on the stelvio, they work. I can rock them back and forth a bit due to the rubber on the mounts but they feel solid. I cant imagine they could ever come loose. With nothing attached to them they do start to howl at around 45mph. I've had it up to 80 and the sound is about the same, nothing the radio volume doesn't fix. I still want a more sleek looking set that doesn't extend over the roof. I think these will fit my needs if I need to carry anything. $445 less then the Thule.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Update! Although these work I think they are made more for the raised side rails. I now use these on my wife's Rav4 and they are very secure. I did buy a set off ebay for $85 that are supposed to fit but I don't trust them enough to carry a Kayak at highway speed. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked at the HF cross bars and walked away. They are designed for raised rails. I also measured and in their most closed position I felt they would barely grab the flush rail on the Stelvio. I would expect that if you tied a large item to them the wind might pull everything off (that is, the load and the cross bars too).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts