Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
That’s interesting….If custom order a Quad, I’ll probably order without a sunroof to. I always have them on my cars but never use them! Seems like extra weight and one more thing to break or leak. Was that your reasoning?

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s interesting….If custom order a Quad, I’ll probably order without a sunroof to. I always have them on my cars but never use them! Seems like extra weight and one more thing to break or leak. Was that your reasoning?
Yes, same reasoning here. I hardly ever use them when I have them.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
322 Posts
Congratulations! I noticed the same when I got mine, nice touch that the roof is not just a plain/flat sheet of metal.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Very excited to pick it up tomorrow evening.

Just updated my insurance...oh my, this thing isn't cheap to insure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That looks pretty cool! I think for a black car, no sunroof looks good. For other colors, the only reason I'd get the sunroof (and got it on my original QV and the new one that's coming) is for the black contrasting color.

·
Registered
'22 Ocra GT Q4
40 Posts
If you could order no sunroof, carbon fiber sport seats, and carbon ceramic brakes (gone for 2022?) It would almost be a Superleggera of sorts. Not by Touring of course! Somebody here should be able to tell how much lighter that would be than with regular seats, sunroof and steel brakes.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If you could order no sunroof, carbon fiber sport seats, and carbon ceramic brakes (gone for 2022?) It would almost be a Superleggera of sorts. Not by Touring of course! Somebody here should be able to tell how much lighter that would be than with regular seats, sunroof and steel brakes.
You'd need the CF roof too though to go full Superleggera, no?
Ha, I was going to spec the Sparco's but it was kind of a concession to winter time and to my wife to get the standard seats. I sat in the standard seats and liked them, and was a bit nervous to get something that I never sat in, especially for the add'l $ they cost. But I hear they're nice, anyway I wonder too how much weight the Sparco seats alone save?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Did research on this a little while ago...

The roof is an aluminum composite, thin sheet of steel sandwiched between aluminum.. stronger then aluminum, lighter then steel... Will attach a magnet.

I don't remember the exact name anymore, might even be remembering some of the specifics wrong, but positive I am remembering correctly that it is a bonded aluminum/steel composite. It has enough Aluminum content Alfa can just call it aluminum in the spec sheet. Unless something changed, that has shown an aluminum roof.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Good question. I don't know unfortunately.

Do know the roof is a module though, it swaps out with the sunroof module like a giant lego during manufacture, so the A pillers really have nothing to do with the roof structure. Conceivably they can be anything, but since the frame itself is steel, and that section isn't listed as being aluminum on the spec sheet, going to guess they are steel, but that is entirely a guess.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A better picture now that it's home...
Oh, and btw, this thing is gonna be trouble for my drivers license. It's gonna take some major restraint. Hope I can muster it.
Building Automotive lighting Wood Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Quad
55 Posts
I had to have the sunroof when I was looking for mine as I love sunroofs to death but I gotta say that the one in the Stelvio isn't that nice. Mine (can't speak for everyone) is kind of clunky. It sounds rather cheap when you open and close it and its super loud (wind noise) at freeway speeds. Knowing what I know now, it would not matter if it has one or not and I do like that extra detail of the slick top. Hmmm.

Speaking of which, I am in a Maserati Levante for a loaner and the sunroof in this SUV is way nicer. It's not clunky and it sounds like quality when its opening and closing. Too bad the rest of the Levante isn't better.. LOL

Ken

P.s. The sides of the roof (not on my pano roof mind you...) is steel and Draggy sticks to it like glue. I just reach up and stick Draggy right above the drivers side window. I was glad to find out that I could stick it there. On my Audi I could find nothing to stick it to and just let it roll around on my dash...

·
Registered
'22 Ocra GT Q4
40 Posts
I like the roof! Reminiscent of the old "Double Bubble" roofs of race cars. Felonious speeds are easily and quickly attained in a Stelvio QV. Not that I have EVER tested that.. I only read about it on the internet! Enjoy it!! She have a name yet?
;);)

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, bear with this frustrated engineering geek. I remember (vaguely) this explained to me by a mate who worked for Nissan design years ago. Flat and featureless roofs on cars have a habit of "thrumming". It is caused by airflow flowing down the roof and altering the air pressure as it exits. This causes noise from the resulting vibration.

You can fix that by using thicker metal for added rigidity or by providing rigidity in other ways. The creases near the middle give the roof a bit more rigidity (the slight dome pressing itself is quite rigid) but also help provide a focusing channel for cleaner airflow.

From memory, the newer composite panels are more rigid than the equivalent thickness of steel, so it also may be just a visual. I did notice that the Gulia doesn't have that middle depression so I'm thinking that is not part of the family resemblance cues. I'd say it is structural.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts