Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much faffing, I have finally sussed out what kit is needed for a Stelvio without the flush roof rails. I have a sunroof but no roof rails. Thule makes the correct fitment for each of the Stelvio roof types and there is no difference in cost between kits for cars with roof rails and cars without roof rails. Halfords led me up the garden path so I went with the helpful people at roofracks.co.uk in the end and saved myself £40 in the process.
The Thule Edge WingBar package for the Stelvio without flush roof rails costs £270
In the kit is:
1x Thule Edge clamp kit 7205
2x Thule WingBar Edge 95 (aluminium) 7214
1x Thule foot kit 145156

The instructions were okay and it took about 30 minutes to set them up correctly. From now on it will be a quick process to put them on and take them off.

The clamps are rubberised and fit the roof profiles exactly.

I understand from other forums that if fitted the wrong way round they generate a whistle. The fat edge of the profile should be towards the front. I've yet to drive with them on the car as I'm in lockdown so I'll need to wait until I have an important journey to make.

IMG_4925.JPG IMG_4924.JPG IMG_4923.JPG IMG_4922.JPG IMG_4921.JPG

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for posting this Damien. My Stelvio Quad arrives tomorrow without roof rails and I have been debating options. How confident are you with the Thule that it won't scratch the paint? I'm also considering ceramic coatings beforehand.

For other readers just beginning their search:
If you want roof rails before the crossbars they can be found online in europe or through your dealership for about $400. It looks like there are two different models depending on if you have the sunroof. My local dealership quoted about $600 for the labor if they do it, and a couple members on here have done it themselves in ~2.5 hours.

Like Damien said whether you have roof rails or not the Thule WingBar packages are the same price, about $560 if I remember in the US. One hooks like Damien's to the door, one to the roof rails. His setup is definitely tempting as it saves the $1000 dealer roof rail install and can be moved to other "naked" roof cars in the future.

Other option for me is a stealth hitch, adding about 40 pounds, and a 1up bike rack (amazing) which I already have. Until I go roof rack skis will go in the car, I just need to figure out how to secure them in case of an accident.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How confident are you with the Thule that it won't scratch the paint?

Like Damien said whether you have roof rails or not the Thule WingBar packages are the same price, about $560 if I remember in the US.
I'm very confident there won't be any scratches as there are no sharp bits. I'm surprise the Thule kits cost so much in the USA. It might be worth importing from www.roofboxes.co.uk as the price I paid translates to $357 in cluding postage and VAT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered mine from DriveDen and they have arrived notice mine are slightly different combination of parts!

Kit 145156 for Kit same as Damien
EVO Clamps 7105 not 7205
Wingbars are Evo 135 Black

Hoping difference is mainly down to Black colour will let you know!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoping difference is mainly down to Black colour will let you know!
It might be that you have Wing Bars rather than Wing Bar Edge. The difference is the Wing Bars have a wider load carrying surface as they extend beyond the feet. It’s just personal preference. Let us know how you get on. Pictures needed :)

PS: The instructions I had labelled the front and rear brackets the wrong way around. If something doesn’t look right swap the front and rear bars ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts