Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rough Idle, Cylinder misfire and CEL.....This is the 4th or 5th time that this happens to the car....when I took it to the dealer before they just cleared the codes...

Usually it happens after the car has not been used in a couple of days or more.....when I start the car the idle is rough and then the CEL begins to blink, and then I get the "electronic throttle control message" and after that it seems that 1 or 2 cylinders are not working, very rough.....reduced power and the DNA selector is stuck in N I think....when I begin to drive after half a mile it starts to work ok and after turning the engine off and on again everything is perfect!!

The other time that I had the same problem with a cylinder not working was when I was washing the car .....I left the engine idling for a long time and when I finished the same thing with a cylinder not working happened, but it went away after a couple of brisk accelerations.....

Either it is a problem with the oil or maybe carbon in the spark plugs?.....a problem with the battery's voltage?...or something else?.....I wonder why since during a cold start at 1500 RPM or even idling the alternator should be charging the battery and the voltage should not be so low.....

I know a mechanic once commented that these engines like to be driven everyday and aggressively.....I decided just in case to get a Lithium car battery car starter and I will connect it to the battery the next time I start the car after a weekend....lets see what happens......I hope it wont happen again!!!....and if it happens again then it wont be battery related for sure.

If I have to take it to the dealer again for this same issue, I wont accept the typical "the mechanic erased the codes and the car works fine now"...!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, still the same original battery.....its almost 2 years old now....if changing the battery would solve the issue I would be super happy!!......I love the car and those 510 hp and I am worried that the engine may get damaged when one of those cylinders is not working......lets see if the Lithium battery car starter with 1200 amps will prevent this from happening.....if that's the case I will get a new battery ASAP

·
Registered
67 Posts
@Kannassee was this issue ever resolved? Additionally what is your QVs model year and build date and at what mileage did issue start to occur. Some of us MY19 Giulia QV owners are experiencing the same thing. Thus far it appears to only be happening to NA MY 19 QVs. For more info look on giulia forum thread title “carbon cleaning at 6000 miles”. Thanks for any info u can provide.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't think it ever happened again. What I have been doing is if I have not been using the car for several days when I start the car I just accelerate it a little bit so instead of it idling at 1500 rpm the engine will rev around 2000 rpm more or less sometimes I tap it more up to 3000-3500 rpm,..... since modern engines do not need a warming period and I live in sunny South Fla I feel safe doing this.
No more problems so far of course before this never happened if I had used the car earlier the same day.
The engine would be completely cold but it would start very smoothly.
I thing the car is a 2018 model year.....probably built around May 2018? I will check that out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think it ever happened again. What I have been doing is if I have not been using the car for several days when I start the car I just accelerate it a little bit so instead of it idling at 1500 rpm the engine will rev around 2000 rpm more or less sometimes I tap it more up to 3000-3500 rpm,..... since modern engines do not need a warming period and I live in sunny South Fla I feel safe doing this.
No more problems so far of course before this never happened if I had used the car earlier the same day.
The engine would be completely cold but it would start very smoothly.
I thing the car is a 2018 model year.....probably built around May 2018? I will check that out.
Thanks for the info. Would definitely appreciate knowing your build date. Interesting problem we’ve only seen this issue on 2019 Giulia QVs so if yours is an 18 that would be interesting. Like you, mine has only done it one time and it was a cold start. Unfortunately some other folks have had multiple recurrences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts