Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my Porsche Macan S for a 2018 Stelvio Sport TI. So I have 20” wheels and I put Nitto Motivo tires on it. Love those tires and they reall helped the ride and quietness in the Macan.

I know I won’t get that kind of performance with the Stelvio but I’m really disappointed with the ride which is why I put the Motivos on it. I also have less than the recommended air pressure but I’m looking suggestions on what else I can do to get a softer ride. Springs, spacers? Any input is appreciated...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both the Alfa and the Porsche are considered performance SUV's , neither are going to ride like a luxury vehicle. Tires with a larger sidewall will help to some extent. The Nitto Motivo tires are considered Ultra High performance meaning stiffer sidewalls with less flex for handling purposes, Not the wisest choice for a good ride. You need Touring tires to get the best ride. Also never run tires below the recommended pressure at highway speeds, they can overheat causing failure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smaller wheels, more cushion.
Would rather keep the 20” wheels. Other thoughts?
Thanks!
Both the Alfa and the Porsche are considered performance SUV's , neither are going to ride like a luxury vehicle. Tires with a larger sidewall will help to some extent. The Nitto Motivo tires are considered Ultra High performance meaning stiffer sidewalls with less flex for handling purposes, Not the wisest choice for a good ride. You need Touring tires to get the best ride. Also never run tires below the recommended pressure at highway speeds, they can overheat causing failure.
so what touring tires would you recommend?

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
170 Posts
On my last SUV, I had those Motivos and they only lasted two years. I would not recommend those tires.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
170 Posts
I don't have a suggestion, but I would probably look up Tirerack and read some reviews there.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
You will get a 'softer' ride simply by running in 'N' on the DNA, and softer again running in 'A'.
But you will also get less performance.
It is always a trade off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will get a 'softer' ride simply by running in 'N' on the DNA, and softer again running in 'A'.
But you will also get less performance.
It is always a trade off
I didn’t realize adjusting the DNA affects the ride too. I thought it was just the engine. Even the folks at the dealership said just the engine. Good to know though ... thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn’t realize adjusting the DNA affects the ride too. I thought it was just the engine. Even the folks at the dealership said just the engine. Good to know though ... thanks.
I guess going back to a touring tire will help too. Any suggestions on a good touring tire for 20” rims?

Alfa romeo 164S, Giulia ti Sport Q4
169 Posts
I traded in my Porsche Macan S for a 2018 Stelvio Sport TI. So I have 20” wheels and I put Nitto Motivo tires on it. Love those tires and they reall helped the ride and quietness in the Macan.

I know I won’t get that kind of performance with the Stelvio but I’m really disappointed with the ride which is why I put the Motivos on it. I also have less than the recommended air pressure but I’m looking suggestions on what else I can do to get a softer ride. Springs, spacers? Any input is appreciated...
Is the car completely stock, it has not be lowered by previous owner if bought used? It's most certainly the 20" wheels on it if everything else is stock.

Alfa romeo 164S, Giulia ti Sport Q4
169 Posts
Only if you have adaptive suspension, otherwise no it does not change.

I'd check if it has aftermarket springs. Springs should be black with several colored DOTS on them somewhere. If they are blue, red or otherwise remove them for stock.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The DWS will do quite nicely. If not, unfortunately, you have the wrong car.

Reactions: Shark71

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only if you have adaptive suspension, otherwise no it does not change.

I'd check if it has aftermarket springs. Springs should be black with several colored DOTS on them somewhere. If they are blue, red or otherwise remove them for stock.
Thanks, very helpful!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yokohama Geolandar X-CV would be a good option. It is an SUV touring tire, but has reasonable performance characteristics.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts