Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Goodyear Asym range is often often cited as a more comfort oriented sports tyre. Google the tyre reviews website, there's a lot of good info.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find the Stelvio ride not among the roughest. It is just pleasantly firm. I don't have active suspension.Had Infiniti FX50S before it and the ride was not better if not worst, besides the bigger wheelbase. By default Alfa Romeo cars are not aimed for best ride comfort but for best performance and handling. You can't have best handling with best ride comfort. There is always some compromise.If you want the best ride quality look elsewhere for something with air suspension and bigger wheelbase. Otherwise, look if you have the suspension and shocks moded or lowered. Use 18 wheels and premium touring tyres, like Michelin,Continental ..... BTW I never heard about or saw these tyre company you use ???? Definitely not premium. I use 20' Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 for summer and 19'Goodyear Vector 4season Gen 3 for winter and like the ride comfort a lot, although the Goodyer is slightly more noisy above 150km/h.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alfa are performance oriented vehicles, never luxury, never a Cushy ride. People need to research what they are buying against what they want or are expecting. Not hard to be an informed consumer in this day and age.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alfa are performance oriented vehicles, never luxury, never a Cushy ride. People need to research what they are buying against what they want or are expecting. Not hard to be an informed consumer in this day and age.
I've got to be honest I find comments like this pretty ignorant. The guy's here for advice not to be told he's stupid. Besides, in this day and age, manufacturers are capable of delivering high levels of body control AND high levels of compliance.

·
263 Posts
Only if you have adaptive suspension, otherwise no it does not change.

I'd check if it has aftermarket springs. Springs should be black with several colored DOTS on them somewhere. If they are blue, red or otherwise remove them for stock.
Is there a correlation between the color of the shocks and the stiffness or ride quality?

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
375 Posts
I dont care what anyone says. Lower the the tire pressure.You can drive the drive the car safely but you will decrease the tread wear

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Things to understand about lowering your tire pressure before doing it:

Low tire pressure increases the chances of hydroplaning.

It also causes significantly more heat generation which best case, wears your tires out faster and worst case, causes a blowout while driving. If that blowout were to cause any sort of accident, many states have a provision to add negligent driving charges for improper vehicle maintenance.

Also please realize a car and an SUV are not the same..all the negative effects of low tire pressure are exaggerated with a larger, taller, heavier vehicle.

IF you understand these things and still think lowering you tire pressure is for you (I run mine 2 lbs lower, so not saying don't do it..saying understand what you are doing)...Please stay within 25% of the factory recommendation. Less air then that is period dangerous...and really stay within 10% because you want a safety margin and don't want to replace your tires 10,000 miles sooner then otherwise probably.

(This means on the Stelvio don't lower the pressure more than about 8 lbs max to stay within 25% of factory..to stay within 10% don't go below 3lbs lower pressure. This is using the front pressure ratings, rear are almost the same.)

Lowering pressure will slightly improve the ride..most people can't tell though. It is very minor on most roads, if I only drive on pavement I would run factory pressure probably. I do it because I drive off-road and on washboarded dirt roads a couple lbs of pressure makes a noticable ride difference while still delivering decent wear when I'm on the payment.

Again not saying don't.lower your tire pressure..just saying be aware of what it means to do so and what the safety margins are.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
375 Posts
Things to understand about lowering your tire pressure before doing it:

Low tire pressure increases the chances of hydroplaning.

It also causes significantly more heat generation which best case, wears your tires out faster and worst case, causes a blowout while driving. If that blowout were to cause any sort of accident, many states have a provision to add negligent driving charges for improper vehicle maintenance.

Also please realize a car and an SUV are not the same..all the negative effects of low tire pressure are exaggerated with a larger, taller, heavier vehicle.

IF you understand these things and still think lowering you tire pressure is for you (I run mine 2 lbs lower, so not saying don't do it..saying understand what you are doing)...Please stay within 25% of the factory recommendation. Less air then that is period dangerous...and really stay within 10% because you want a safety margin and don't want to replace your tires 10,000 miles sooner then otherwise probably.

(This means on the Stelvio don't lower the pressure more than about 8 lbs max to stay within 25% of factory..to stay within 10% don't go below 3lbs lower pressure. This is using the front pressure ratings, rear are almost the same.)

Lowering pressure will slightly improve the ride..most people can't tell though. It is very minor on most roads, if I only drive on pavement I would run factory pressure probably. I do it because I drive off-road and on washboarded dirt roads a couple lbs of pressure makes a noticable ride difference while still delivering decent wear when I'm on the payment.

Again not saying don't.lower your tire pressure..just saying be aware of what it means to do so and what the safety margins are.
Well said

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dont care what anyone says. Lower the the tire pressure.You can drive the drive the car safely but you will decrease the tread wear
????...... if you are of suicidal type, please at least by doing this, do not risk the life of other drivers ! Lowering tyre pressure intentionally more than 10-15% and driving on roads and highway creates big risk for stability, handling and blowing tyre, which is very dangerous. You will sacrifice also suspension integrity, tyre life and fuel consumption. I can't find it now, but there was a study in UK, which confirms one third of the accidents were created from improper , mostly under inflated tyres.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Well, the blurb on the Alfa Romeo website says this about the Veloce (2020):

TECHNOLOGY
ALFA™ LINK

Alfa Romeo Stelvio is equipped with the AlfaTM™ Link suspension system, with a four-and-a-half arm multilink solution in aluminium that translates into superb handling and excellent comfort.
At the front, the high quadrilateral suspension with semi-virtual steering axle allows the driver to steer quickly and accurately, courtesy of exceptional road holding and a high sense of control.
The Alfa™ Active System dynamically adjusts the suspension response according to the driving conditions and the mode selected with the Alfa™ DNA selector.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So what tires would you suggest?
I’m waiting on another set of 20” wheels to show up to mount a set of performance summer tires and I’ll be going with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV one size larger than stock (265/45 vs 255/45) for an additional 0.3” of sidewall to provide some extra cushion, and also due to current experience with the Pilot Sport 4Ss on my 4C and BRZ.

Not doubt that the 255/45s would offer slightly better performance but ultra thin sidewalls on 20” wheels in an SUV without a spare is not a good combination for the roads I drive on (it only took three months to destroy both a tire and wheel on my new 2021).

For high performance tires the Pilots offer an very compliant ride - not grand touring smooth but significantly better than all the others I’ve tried. Plus, Michelin offers a 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee to help mitigate the risk of forking out for a set or tires that doesn’t perform as hoped:

We’re confident you’ll love your new MICHELIN replacement tires. So confident, in fact, that we back your purchase with a 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re not 100% satisfied with your new tires, just bring the tires and original sales receipt back to the place where you bought the tires within 60 days of your purchase and we will gladly exchange them for a new set of tires of equal or lesser value.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have run 255/50-19 Michelin Pilot 4 SUV and they are great. I have experimented with tire pressures a bit as well. No lower than 30lbs. Currently have settled at 32F/34R. Tires are wearing evenly and nicely.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a point about tyre size, hopefully I'm not teaching anyone to suck eggs here but the sidewall is percentage of the tyre's width. A 45 aspect ratio on a 255 is a decent amount of tyre for the Stelvios weight. My BMW F31 Touring has a 40 aspect ratio of 255 width and rides with a decent level of comfort vs body control. A 255/45/20 isn't an ultra thin sidewall.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
170 Posts
I have the base 18" wheels, and even mine has a pretty choppy ride. I'm OK with that. So I'm not sure what you will achieve, by going with different tires? These 18" wheel/tire combo offer the most comfort.
I will eventually drop mine 2", and going with 20"rs. My previous SUV was dropped 3-1/4", it was a gokart.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Would suggest that you might go to Tire Rack and search for a “Grand Touring” tire. Like Michelin LTX, read reviews and tire test for ride comfort comments. The DWS06 plus is likely to be a great tire but if you want to soften the ride and get durability then go to a different class of tire. The 19” wheels offer a good compromise. My winter tires, Nokia’s R3 are positively velvety in 235/55-19 vs the summer Michelin Pilot SUV at the same sidewall height, 255/50-19. Of course I would not drive them at nearly the same speed or cornering load, the sidewall is too soft.

Reactions: bhvrdr

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
170 Posts
I would also check the tire pressure. Mine came with 36PSI in all tires. I believe they should be 30/33.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts