Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Huge difference in ride quality when I go from my Coni Lx Sports 235/55R19's to my summer Quad wheels with PZeros both on 20's. BTW IMHO, the Contis are an excellent tires and performed in winter as well as a set of Pirielli Scopion winters . Good praise for Contis, bad praise for the Pirellis
With stock setup, ride is one of the surprise positives of the Stelvio. Robb's is half right on the tire pressures. Placard pressures are best for full loads etc. This is excactly what those numbers are developed around. I always found the balnce of handling better with rears down 1-2 lbs if running light. 18's & 19's run 30/33. The 20's suggest 33/36. Nittos are NOT a topshelf casing for ride quality. Try the car at 32/34...which BTW is my optimal pressures for my summer quad setup . Realize I also do this because the TiSport is a few hundred lbs lighter than a Quad. YOU WILL NOT DIE ON THE HIGHWAY WITH THESE MINOIR MODS. I look at stock pressure on the Stelvio as max allowable cold pressures. Handling gets a bit too darty if pressures are too high.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
"Rears down 1-2"
Yup, unless loaded or higher speed use. And I prefer front up a couple if actually driving.
Watch your tire pressure monitor. They should rise as the tire warms; if you go up more than 10% you started too low. Excess sidewall squirm causes excess heat. Bad.
If they don't go up you started too high. Also bad.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good advice on going to 18" wheels. Tires are also springs. They have a spring rate just like your coil springs. A tire with the same rolling diameter on a larger diameter wheel will have a higher spring rate than one on a smaller wheel assuming the same width. Likewise a wider tire on the same diameter but wider wheel will have a higher spring rate than a narrower tire on a narrower wheel of the same diameter.

This assumes the same tire pressure.

Changing the tire pressure itself also dramatically changes spring rate but also can impact your tires ability to be a good tire (braking, lateral grip, deflection, and managing heat and not breaking down).

Tire construction also plays a role (no pun intended) in feel. Great advice to go with an 18" non widened (from stock) setup using a tire that's also designed with comfort in mind. This way you can still run optimal tire pressures to get the best performance from your tire.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Of course, optimal pressure differs for different tires....

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have both a macan s and stelvio and the ride quality is no comparison, the macan is made to be luxury/sport. The stelvio is made to be straight up sport. The stelvio is arguably the best handling SUV in it's segment, but the brutal power of the macan s with the combination of the smooth ride quality is fantastic. In the macan s you could be going 100mph and not even realize it, that's how stable it is at such high speeds. However in the stelvio you definitely know your going 100mph. But the macan s handling is not so precise as the stelvio, it has this vagueness.

Reactions: RTTX

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The irony here is so many people complain about the soft suspension in the 4 cyl stelvio - which I think it is, but like an alfetta it works exceptionally well.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Ok...so.....what about being able to go 100mph without realizing it is good?

Not trying to be a jerk...but..think about it...

...What about being able to do 100mph without realizing it,is good?

Driving fast without sensations? To me the sensations are the fun part. Taking them out is a negative.

Without those sensations...and also with a sense to vagueness to the handling? In a Porsche??????!!!! No wonder the Pieche's are looking into taking the brand out from under the VW/Audi banner. That should be an insult to, not accepted description of, a Porsche. I mean, yeah...the Porsche's Ferdinand designed could swap ends and become an out-of-control projectile almost instantly if not respected, but there was nothing vague about it.

The vagueness comment is straight scary in something being sold as a performance vehicle. Doesn't matter what the "ride" is like or how many bumps are being filtered, personally vagueness at any speed makes me uncomfortable and stressed out while driving, the exact opposite of relaxed.

(As I type this, I'm sitting in a power outage that has been going on since 7pm yesterday..somebody drove thier Suburban onto the sidewalk and took out a few power lines, killing power to half the city. At least it isn't 105 today. I wonder though, how vaguely that car handled.)

·
Registered
569 Posts

Driving fast without sensations? To me the sensations are the fun part. Taking them out is a negative.

Without those sensations...and also with a sense to vagueness to the handling? In a Porsche??????!!!! No wonder the Pieche's are looking into taking the brand out from under the VW/Audi banner. That should be an insult to, not accepted description of, a Porsche. I mean, yeah...the Porsche's Ferdinand designed could swap ends and become an out-of-control projectile almost instantly if not respected, but there was nothing vague about it.

The vagueness comment is straight scary in something being sold as a performance vehicle. Doesn't matter what the "ride" is like or how many bumps are being filtered, personally vagueness at any speed makes me uncomfortable and stressed out while driving, the exact opposite of relaxed.

(As I type this, I'm sitting in a power outage that has been going on since 7pm yesterday..somebody drove thier Suburban onto the sidewalk and took out a few power lines, killing power to half the city. At least it isn't 105 today. I wonder though, how vaguely that car handled.)
They handle like poo poo. Just got back from the salt flats and thought why not test everything we had there lol...

I had a macan S and its not all that much faster than my stelvio. A bit yeah particularly after 80mph.

The macan is mildly more isolated and less sharp than the giulia but with perhaps a bit more luxury features and much better sound insulation. It weighs 300lbs more and cant hide it.

In objective handling tests it smacks us down big but thats literally only because of our stability control that cant be switched off. At 7/10 and below the stelvio handles much more playfully with much better turn-in and feedback. Body control is similar for both.

They're both great. Just a bit different.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Let's just rmember the Quad Stelvio eats all Macans for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
155 Posts

The steering on the macan s is not so tight as the stelvio, I have the COBB remap, flat 6 aluminum diverter valves, BMC airfilers, Cargraphic exhaust. It does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. The car is very stable at high speeds, so much to a point you don’t realize you are going really fast. Don’t get me wrong, the Porsche has the tech and the TT V6 exhaust note is music to the ears. The QV would definitely destroy it, however we’re talking about a car that has been out since 2014. You definitely can feel the weight difference between the two cars, however since the macan has brembo rotors on both the front and rear, it stops the nearly 5000 pound beast on a dime. I actually got my stelvio before the macan s, and now I think I should have just got a QV and saved money.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
A 5000lb..Porsche. That by itself is mind boggling.

Ever done 100mph in a 1970 something muscle car after replacing the suspension with modern components?

I have, my favorite is the Plymouth Barracuda. Incredibly stabile at high speeds. Not cause'a advanced engineering, cause'a that is what weight combined with good shock valving/spring rates and thick-ass anti
-sway bars, do. Caveman technology.

No doubt the Porsche would be better than an old muscle car (if only because of the sound insulation), regardless a 5000lb vehicle that is stabile at speed is expected, the surprise would be if it wasn't. Yes, there are vehicles like that in the market...says alot about how half -ass companies are becoming about chassis development more than anything else.

As far as the steering..I understand what you are talking about, have felt it myself, big part of why I have never bought a Porsche SUV...or even wanted one, but have had a Volvo. If I'm going to have something with numb steering that is vague at turn-in/out....I'de rather be comfortable...cause IMO, performance vehicles aren't numb or vague, and Porsche's in particular should not have numb steering. They do have great brakes though, no doubt, brings the car to a stop about 7 feet shorter then the 4cyl Stelvio.....and the V6 is a gem.

Alfa would double sales if they had a 400hp V6 in the Stelvio. Inline 6 would be even better. They could also do well by hiring an ex-Porsche guy to do the brake system calibration, for sure.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A 5000lb..Porsche. That by itself is mind boggling.

Ever done 100mph in a 1970 something muscle car after replacing the suspension with modern components?

I have, my favorite is the Plymouth Barracuda. Incredibly stabile at high speeds. Not cause'a advanced engineering, cause'a that is what weight combined with good shock valving/spring rates and thick-ass anti
-sway bars, do. Caveman technology.

No doubt the Porsche would be better than an old muscle car (if only because of the sound insulation), regardless a 5000lb vehicle that is stabile at speed is expected, the surprise would be if it wasn't. Yes, there are vehicles like that in the market...says alot about how half -ass companies are becoming about chassis development more than anything else.

As far as the steering..I understand what you are talking about, have felt it myself, big part of why I have never bought a Porsche SUV...or even wanted one, but have had a Volvo. If I'm going to have something with numb steering that is vague at turn-in/out....I'de rather be comfortable...cause IMO, performance vehicles aren't numb or vague, and Porsche's in particular should not have numb steering. They do have great brakes though, no doubt, brings the car to a stop about 7 feet shorter then the 4cyl Stelvio.....and the V6 is a gem.

Alfa would double sales if they had a 400hp V6 in the Stelvio. Inline 6 would be even better. They could also do well by hiring an ex-Porsche guy to do the brake system calibration, for sure.
If Alfa sold a detuned QV, it would fly off the assembly line. I think that if the AR brand was more matured, the QV should have been a V8, more to the likes of BMW and Merc. 2.0T would be entry level, V6 baby QV, V8 the real QV, but AR does not want the QV to cannibalize the Maserati sales.

Reactions: Anunnaki

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
NAHHH! V8 weight is the enemy which precisely why the Stelvio is so good. V8 is a dinosaur in the year 2021 considering how easy it is to get 500+ HP out of a V6.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts