Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have had my 2021 Stelvio for about two months and have just over 2000 miles on it. I have noticed that when going up a slight incline at about 1400 to 1500 RPM when it’s trying to shift into a higher gear, I am getting some slight vibration in the steering wheel and pedals. It feels to me like the transmission is having a hard time deciding what gear it wants to be in. I am only experiencing this when going up a slight incline and only at these RPMs, otherwise the transmission feels smooth. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe there is an update available at the dealership for the transmission?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Did you finally find the flaw in the powertrain programming. What is your road speed and DNA selector in? The perfect storm of load and rpm. At 1400 rpm that is not a good combo for a small engine and heavy car, minimal boost. Low speed pre-ignition worries. That vibration is telling you that a lot of stress is feeding back and I’d be avoiding that like the plague. Manual shift if you can select a higher gear or drive faster. Put in higher D or N mode and see if your shift programming needs a re-flash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, i have the exact same problem in my 21 stelvio when going to the second gear only. I have around 200 miles on the odo and the thing has been happenning from the day one. It is not always there and only happens when the car is relatively hot. Used to have two Mercedes GLC with the same small 2 liter engine in a lot heavier car and never experienced the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you finally find the flaw in the powertrain programming. What is your road speed and DNA selector in? The perfect storm of load and rpm. At 1400 rpm that is not a good combo for a small engine and heavy car, minimal boost. Low speed pre-ignition worries. That vibration is telling you that a lot of stress is feeding back and I’d be avoiding that like the plague. Manual shift if you can select a higher gear or drive faster. Put in higher D or N mode and see if your shift programming needs a re-flash.
It’s usually at lower speeds under 40MPH, most often when accelerating from a stop. I only typically drive in normal mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all, i have the exact same problem in my 21 stelvio when going to the second gear only. I have around 200 miles on the odo and the thing has been happenning from the day one. It is not always there and only happens when the car is relatively hot. Used to have two Mercedes GLC with the same small 2 liter engine in a lot heavier car and never experienced the same thing.
It does seem to be more frequent after the engine/transmission is warmed up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had exactly the same happened, several times after the last software update. It was very slightly noticeable. It is not doing it anymore in the last months or so. Very strange. The car is 2020

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had exactly the same happened, several times after the last software update. It was very slightly noticeable. It is not doing it anymore in the last months or so. Very strange. The car is 2020
Interesting. Did you do the update yourself or through the dealer? Was it for the transmission specifically or just through the infortainment screen? Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting. Did you do the update yourself or through the dealer? Was it for the transmission specifically or just through the infortainment screen? Thanks.
It was done by the dealer. I asked about it and they said it was mostly for the engine management not for the transmission , but I noticed slight difference in adaptations of the gearbox. Like sooner shifting on higher gear and more often getting in sail mode when driving in N. I do not use A. Only N and D. I can't be 100% sure about this though. Maybe it is only in my head, because it is very slight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
BTW the hesitation was only in N mode and only when babying the gas pedal. Around 1400-1500rpm and it was not too rough. As I mentioned, it is gone now. Strange.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm following this thread as I'm having the same issue. 2018 ti sport with 40k miles. When trying to drive easy with the family from a stop I get a shuttering feeling. The wife keeps complaining about it as a passenger. We just got back from the plant store with her Rav4 and it felt wayyy smoother than the Alfa. Possible tourqe converter issue. I might just get the Trans fluid changed, any idea what that should cost?

·
Registered
191 Posts
It doesn't feel like mechanical issue. More like software bug related to transmission management maybe ? I think 40k miles is still early for fluid change.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Anyone tried putting the car in A to see if this shift issue goes away?

The transmisson is a learning tranny...but..from what I've seen when driving ultra-mellow, it doesn't learn quickly...definitely a know-it-all that thinks it knows everything it needs and could teach the driver a few things.

The default and preferred setting is sporty not comfort, and it wants to go, unless you put it in "A"...or train the car to drive slow and easy, even then it will go back the first time you drive more aggressively and will need to be retrained it seems like. I used to notice it when driving slowly on dirt roads sometimes, one of the reasons I started using "A" off-road is because of that. Remember the tranny was programmed by Ferrari engineers, not Toyota...easy shifting at low speeds to not upset the family might have had a lower development priority then the backup camera...and well...look at how bad the backup camera is...

Pretty sure just like how the factory chucked a cheap camera in to placate the regulators and consumers while still honoring the tradition of making rear visibility horrible in an Italian car...they put all the smooth easy shift programming in "A" mode along with less horsepower and a general feeling that the car is sad now. Cause like excellent rearward visibility, driving slowly to not upset passengers seems like borderline heresy to the people making the car.

I picture people spitting thier cappuccino on the floor and ranting about building an ALFA not another grocery getter, then storming out to take a personal day...eventually making "A" mode then drinking alot of wine and listening to some Opera.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anyone tried putting the car in A to see if this shift issue goes away?

The transmisson is a learning tranny...but..from what I've seen when driving ultra-mellow, it doesn't learn quickly...definitely a know-it-all that thinks it knows everything it needs and could teach the driver a few things.

The default and preferred setting is sporty not comfort, and it wants to go, unless you put it in "A"...or train the car to drive slow and easy, even then it will go back the first time you drive more aggressively and will need to be retrained it seems like. I used to notice it when driving slowly on dirt roads sometimes, one of the reasons I started using "A" off-road is because of that. Remember the tranny was programmed by Ferrari engineers, not Toyota...easy shifting at low speeds to not upset the family might have had a lower development priority then the backup camera...and well...look at how bad the backup camera is...

Pretty sure just like how the factory chucked a cheap camera in to placate the regulators and consumers while still honoring the tradition of making rear visibility horrible in an Italian car...they put all the smooth easy shift programming in "A" mode along with less horsepower and a general feeling that the car is sad now. Cause like excellent rearward visibility, driving slowly to not upset passengers seems like borderline heresy to the people making the car.

I picture people spitting thier cappuccino on the floor and ranting about building an ALFA not another grocery getter, then storming out to take a personal day...eventually making "A" mode then drinking alot of wine and listening to some Opera.
No. When it was doing it I was in N , driving in the city. I really do not use A mode even in winter. With my style of driving it is almost dangerously sluggish 😆 and eats more fuel than in D. Yes, I also think that it was something related to learning tranny and adaptations of the box, since it is gone now.

·
497 Posts
like excellent rearward visibility, driving slowly to not upset passengers seems like borderline heresy to the people making the car.

I can just imagine the reaction of the Alfa Romeo designers when the bosses first said: "We want you to design an Alfa Romeo SUV". Probably NSFW, or this forum.

To their credit, they did a good job of it once they calmed down.

·
Registered
171 Posts
With these warmer days I've noticed the car seems to have this issue when it's hot. After it's initial warm up it's fine but when driven for a while it acts up. I'm still thinking tourqe converter shudder and needs fluid changed 45k miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With these warmer days I've noticed the car seems to have this issue when it's hot. After it's initial warm up it's fine but when driven for a while it acts up. I'm still thinking tourqe converter shudder and needs fluid changed 45k miles.
I've been following this forum as I have the same problem with a 2020 AWD. The shudder happens when the engine is warm, under easy throttle as you approach 30mph. It feels like a torque converter shudder.
I asked the dealership (Rick Case Alfa in Weston Florida) to look into it and they said they weren't able to replicate problem. Honestly I don't think they even looked,

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have an appointment next week at the Alfa dealership that's 1.5 hrs away. Is this issue resolved for you? I'll post my results.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Update! Kind of.. Dealership had my car for 4 days. They said they could not replicate the problem. I spent a total of 6 hrs driving time to get it there and back. Stephanie at Alfa Cares and Andy at Bob Johnson Alfa in Rochester NY have been great but still no results. I picked the car up and it seemed fine but after an hour on the NYS Thruway it's shuddering and rough on acceleration from a stop. I guess I'll just trade it in for something more reliable like a BMW? I love my Alfa but might not have a choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts