Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Sad News for my 2018 TI Sport

8K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  smunger4 
#1 ·
It is with great remorse I will be parting with my TI Sport. Absolutely have loved the car, but now the dealer and mechanical issues are overwhelming. Let me explain..

Purchased the Alfa in October 2017 from my dealer in Sacramento, California (closed 1 1/2 years later); nearest dealer 130 miles away (more dealers closing). No local FCA dealer (Dodge/Jeep, Fiat etc) will service the Alfa.

Developed a "combustion chamber" cylinder 4 issue (mis-fire on cylinder, limp mode) they can't figure out and had to consult with "Engineering" (not sure what that means) Two weeks at the Berkeley, Ca dealer...no resolution. Said...Oh it could be a coolant line on the turbo...really? Or they said a "sticking valve".

Bottom line, I bought a 2021 Ford EDGE ST which kicks ass and I have a dealer 5 miles from my house.

I will miss this forum, the Stelvio is a great vehicle.

#3 ·
The Edge is fun car in a different way. Definitely see it being enjoyable.

Also interested in mileage on the car, help us know if this is a developing issue or more unique. It is hard dealing with tough to diagnose problems when the dealer is a long ways away. Best thing about Ford is there are almost always multiple dealers if one is bad, and the problems with the cars are a more known factor.

#4 ·
It is with great remorse I will be parting with my TI Sport. Absolutely have loved the car, but now the dealer and mechanical issues are overwhelming. Let me explain..

Purchased the Alfa in October 2017 from my dealer in Sacramento, California (closed 1 1/2 years later); nearest dealer 130 miles away (more dealers closing). No local FCA dealer (Dodge/Jeep, Fiat etc) will service the Alfa.

Developed a "combustion chamber" cylinder 4 issue (mis-fire on cylinder, limp mode) they can't figure out and had to consult with "Engineering" (not sure what that means) Two weeks at the Berkeley, Ca dealer...no resolution. Said...Oh it could be a coolant line on the turbo...really? Or they said a "sticking valve".

Bottom line, I bought a 2021 Ford EDGE ST which kicks ass and I have a dealer 5 miles from my house.

I looked hard at those. Nice vehicles, enjoy it in good health! How are you liking it so far?

#5 ·

I agree totally with the dealership situation, and it is kinda reminded me of my Saab ownership experience before its demise in 2012. I recently had my 20k service at the same east bay Alfa dealership and the end result was a $900 bill for an oil change, brake fluid flush, cabin filter replacement and tires rotation. Yes, it was the infamous $300 oil change at a Doge dealership, it wasn't a Alfa Romeo experience at all……

#8 ·
yea, it is one of those might as well situation….. the car needs brake flush and maintenance reset that requires access to ipc and brake system controller and my car has the SGW. It is hard to find a indy shop that knows how to work on the new Alfas in the s.f bay area within a reasonable distance, let alone verifying which indy shop have SGW access or not.

I personally don’t think it is my fault for getting service at dealership without a satisfactory experience. I don't mind to spend the same amount of money again if it’s worth the experience and expectation.

#10 · (Edited)
Why do some brands overcharge for service? Because some consumers thinks it's harder to find a good indpedent place then it is.

I don't know SF real well, but... Let's put it this way. I live near the Joshua Tree National Park. Nearest "city" Twentynine Palms, population 26,147 on a good day. EVERY AUTO SHOP IN TOWN CAN AND WILL WORK ON MY CAR. Not exaggerating, all of them can do it (the Jeep dealer in Yucca Valley won't). I highly doubt the shops in 29Palms - a literal backwater - are more up to date on computer scanning equipment then shops in San Francisco, or pretty much anywhere outside of a third world country.

Nothing about the car is unique including the software, its a standard FCA/Stellantis package...lots of cars use SGWs. MultiECUScan works on more cars then just Alfa's...because the software isn't unique to the brand. I realize the worries..also realize most of those worries exist because of incorrect information. Not trying to be a jerk, trying to clear up a misunderstanding so people don't get manipulated.

The absolute worst thing that could possibly happen by going to an independent shop instead of a dealer for maintenance is the reminder inside the infotainment system won't get reset. Please understand, the only time I ever took my car to the dealer for the oil, THEY DIDN'T RESET THAT REMINDER. so yeah..not a big deal. The maintenance reminder doesn't outweigh a reciept for an oil change, it isn't anything real. As long as you have reciepts your warranty is fine even if every maintence light has been in for 4 years. 99% of independent places have digital storage of reciepts just like the dealer...you don't even have to keep a file. Just call and they will make copies for you.

If calling a few shops is too much work..ok. But...at least acknowledge the option exists. If you would rather drop a few thousand dollars on something you like less then what you had (or like the replacment as much or more) more power to you, but if that isn't what a person would rather do, there are options.

As far as the rest....think whatever you want. I'm an independent tech....no certifications outside of ASE which I haven't retested for in years. The guys with manufacturer certifications call me for help, I don't call them. That is way more common then you think. Outside of me calling them to get TSB info. They call because they can't diagnose problems without being told what it is by the someone else... Or a piece of paper (TSB). If you think that is the pinnacle of auto repair...I disagree.

Reality is, dealer techs are very often the new guys just out of school, or with a few years under their belt, the independent techs are the guys with decades of experience that got tired of working at dealers. Half the guys out there have held certs in multiple brands not just one...dealership turnover is insane and all those people that quit after getting tired of having to sell quotas instead of repairing problems.... have to go somewhere.....after the third or fourth dealer, they go independent.

Generally new techs start at a dealers, bouncing around for a few years, till they get really good, then quit to go work fewer hours with less stress and make double or more in income at an independent place. Not always but enough it's very common. More common then a good independent guy deciding he wants to go work for a car dealer for sure.

Do whatever you want, just trying to share info.

If you dump your Alfa cause your want another car, more power to you. There are alot of great cars out there, find yours and enjoy it.

If you are thinking of dumping your Alfa because of a dealer, and wish you didn't have to, don't want anything else......just offering an alternative option/perspective.

Not trying to insult anyone's opinion, just presenting mine along with the reasons why I hold it. If I seem critical or offensive it is not in my heart, not intended, please forgive me.

#11 ·
Why do some brands overcharge for service? Because some consumers thinks it's harder to find a good indpedent place then it is.

I don't know SF real well, but... Let's put it this way. I live near the Joshua Tree National Park. Nearest "city" Twentynine Palms, population 26,147 on a good day. EVERY AUTO SHOP IN TOWN CAN AND WILL WORK ON MY CAR. Not exaggerating, all of them can do it (the Jeep dealer in Yucca Valley won't). I highly doubt the shops in 29Palms - a literal backwater - are more up to date on computer scanning equipment then shops in San Francisco, or pretty much anywhere outside of a third world country.

Nothing about the car is unique including the software, its a standard FCA/Stellantis package...lots of cars use SGWs. MultiECUScan works on more cars then just Alfa's...because the software isn't unique to the brand. I realize the worries..also realize most of those worries exist because of incorrect information. Not trying to be a jerk, trying to clear up a misunderstanding so people don't get manipulated.

The absolute worst thing that could possibly happen by going to an independent shop instead of a dealer for maintenance is the reminder inside the infotainment system won't get reset. Please understand, the only time I ever took my car to the dealer for the oil, THEY DIDN'T RESET THAT REMINDER. so yeah..not a big deal. The maintenance reminder doesn't outweigh a reciept for an oil change, it isn't anything real. As long as you have reciepts your warranty is fine even if every maintence light has been in for 4 years. 99% of independent places have digital storage of reciepts just like the dealer...you don't even have to keep a file. Just call and they will make copies for you.

If calling a few shops is too much work..ok. But...at least acknowledge the option exists. If you would rather drop a few thousand dollars on something you like less then what you had (like the replacment as much or more) more power to you, but if that isn't what a person would rather do, there are options.

As far as the rest....think whatever you want. I'm an independent tech....no certifications. The guys with manufacturer certifications call me for help, I don't call them. That is way more common then you think. Outside of me calling them to get TSB info. They call because they can't diagnose problems without being told what it is by the someone else... Or a piece of paper (TSB). If you think that is the pinnacle of auto repair...I disagree.

Reality is..dealer techs are very often the new guys just out of school, or with a few years under their belt, the independent techs are the guys with decades of experience that got tired of working at dealers. Half the guys out there have held certs in multiple brands not just one.

Generally new techs start at a dealer, work till they get good, then quit to go work independent, have fewer hours, less stress and make double or more in income.

Do whatever you want, just trying to share info.

If you dump your Alfa cause your want another car, more power to you. There are alot of great cars out there.

If you are thinking of dumping your Alfa because of a dealer, and wish you didn't have to, don't want anything else......just offering an alternative option/perspective. Not trying to insult anyone's option just presenting mine along with the reasons why I hold the opinion. If I seem critical or offensive it is not in my heart, not intended, please forgive me.
Maybe that's how it works where you are, but the real talent where I grew up was at a dealer. They use dealer tools and supplies, and often would do side jobs at the dealer on their own time for cash. A friend of mine was ASE master cert tech, and one of the best mechanics Ive ever seen work. Back in 2008ish, he was making 70-80k typically per year, had full benefits from his dealer, etc. and they paid for all of his learning, tools, all of it. It was a sweet gig. The local indy shop talent for thst race club? He took apart this kids MKIV supra and couldn't even figure out how to put it back together. So my experience is inverse to yours...but samples of two. Point being, YMMV bigly! on this topic.

Also, the Edge ST differs from the Alfa enough thst maybe OP prefers it for its differences. I think the RDX is more like the Alfa, by far, imo.

#12 ·
Yeah...that is what you think based on one tech? What 4 or five dealers? Ten even? In one area of the country. For sure. I have seen the same thing.

Regardless the overall picture is alot bigger then that. Always exceptions, in a world with billions of people...there are alot of expeceptions. Still exceptions.

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah, but with car dealers, its more variable thsn it should be. No other physical product is supported this variably or arbitrarily.

Example: My Mazda and MB dealers local are next door to each other. They sre both owned by the same group. The Mazda dealer is amazing. $20 gets you a full multipoint inspection and oil change, with everything checked and recorded, tire tread, brake lining, everything. If you dont supply the oil its $49. The first time, I thought it was bs. I asked for a tread depth tool and was handed one. Marched out there to prove whether or not they actually measured or just wrote stuff...and my tires matched exactly what was on my tech sheet.

The MB dealer charged my former temp roommate $150 to do a preowned car inspection. Nothing was recorded except check boxes of "green, yellow, red", and they didnt even air up his low tires. He left and still had the low tire light on. Total trash service.

#14 ·
There are horror stories about every dealership and auto repair shop in existence. Also great stories. Regardless the trends are the trends....dealer techs become Indy techs more that the other way around. If doing some research and trying something new isn't for you, don't do it.

If it is, then do it. Either way, acknowledge the possibility exists...keeps your brain young.

#15 ·
Going back to the original post, OP, if you're still reading, how many miles are/were on your Stelvio when it developed the #4 misfire? Sounds like there was not a definitive diagnosis?

AlAlfa, funny you say it reminds you of Saab ownership. I'm a huge Saab fan and have owned three. I think Saab ownership prepared me well for Alfa ownership. ;) Funny enough, the Alfa dealer I go to (Alfa/FIAT/Maserati of Santa Monica) in in the old Saab of Santa Monica location where I used to service my first 9-3 until it was out of warranty. It's a nice bit of nostalgia.

#18 ·
Cool! I had an '03 9-3SS Launch that I bought from the original owner who purchased it from Saab SM, and then I bought an '08 9-3 Aero new from Saab of Beverly Hills (which was really Saab of SM when they merged with the Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealer, and quite euphemistically named since it was really in West LA on Olympic and Bundy). I also had a '92 9000 for a time that I bought from Walter Wong.

I used Walter Wong and Anders (Swedecar) to service mine for the stuff I didn't do myself. I also raced 900s in the very early days of the 24 Hours of Lemons. One of these days I'm going to pick up an NG 9-5, a TurboX, or a 9000 Aero to hang onto. I too hope Alfa doesn't go the way of Saab, and it seems that Stellants is dedicated enough to the brand unlike GM (Walter had a sign in his shop that had Saab and GM logos that was captioned "Born from Jets, Killed by A**holes").

To me Alfa is the modern successor to Saab in the US market. World-class engineering, thoughtful design, highly underappreciated by the masses, but beloved by those that "get it".

#19 · (Edited)
I like a lot of stuff about the Alfa, but...great engineering? Maybe...but not much actually FROM Alfa.

The zf8 is German.
The multiair 2.0 is, ironically, from Fiat, which as part of the takeover of AR, then AR president, Ettore Massacesi, said AR would never use a Fiat engine, as the engine was a big part of Alfa identity. The engine isnt Alfa. Its pure Fiat design. Now we get to the chassis...the brakes are Brembo, and Continental AG is who designed the brake by wire system. Continental is German, and Brembo was at least an Alfa aupplier3even back in the day. The Q4 awd system is courtesy of Magna Powertrain, an American company who has made systems for pretty much everyone. The only thing in the Stelvio that I actually credit Alfa Romeo for, is the suspension. The rest of the car is a shopoing catalogue from other countries and companies. Even the chassia/atruxture, which was designed at Maserstis facility, by Ferrari engineer Philipe Krief. That's not a bad thing, but it does downplay the whole "AR engineered..." angle, with regard to Stelvio. No they didn't. AlfaLink is about it.

That said, the one thing AR did do, is my favorite part of the vehicle, which is its suspension. I hate how stelvio wallows around. It feels like a miata. But I also recognize that this is not a bad thing, just a preference. Some people like miata. I do not. But noone will rightly argue that miata is a bad suspension. I think it's unique in an SUV, to be sure, and is the reason people think other brands are "oversprung"---they arent---they just prefer miata to corvette suspension dynamics.

In short, Stelvio is a Heinz 57 of a vehicle, and comes from many companies, all stuffed into one. Quirks are going to be a thing, but the suspension and handling characteristics are unique and love/hate, and I think that is what actually sells---or doesn't sell---the car, to people who purchase based on driving it.

Like the miata, there is nothing to "get". You either like it, or do not. Alfa doesn't somehow post the best numbers in their class, either. They just do very well, and appeal to those who enjoy their dynamic, which is any car, really, just options, but Alfa is a unique option to be sure, and I am glad to see niche brands, even if they exist on the dole from parent companies. I was very sad to see SVT dissolved by ford, for example, back when.

But again, Alfa didn't engineer much of anytbing beyond Alfalink. Stellantis bought it for them. Daddy's money is all that saved AR from a downtrending EU economy some years back, so to speak. And like most family members who would be in ruin but for daddy's money, there can be some personality flaws, no matter how otherwose charming. Part of which, OP seems tonhave tired of.

One thing I will say, I like things made from one company. Glock. Benelli. They make good guns. Boring and reliable. Why? They control the whole process. They do not adapt other company's product to their production. They make it. In cars, this is very hard to find, as they all psrtner and share, but I do try.

#21 ·

Understood. The dealer network for AR makes it challenging for so many enthusiasts. When I purchased my first Alfa in 2017, there were two dealerships in town. Two years ago one of them closed - the combo of AF requirements to be stand alone dealerships and low inventory. Now there is one dealer left in town. If that dealership closed, I probably wouldn't have an AR as the hassle might be similar to what you experienced. Have fun the Edge ST, it looks like a hoot!
John

#22 ·
Magna International is Canadian. Which technically is American but the implication is US.

Magna Steyr is German (Austrian specifically).

Pretty sure Magna Int is the North American arm of Magna Steyr. Not that that matters, what does though is the part Alfa got from them were re-engineneered by Alfa to be stronger and respond faster then the off-the-shelf parts (those would be what BMW uses).

Saying you don't think Alfa engineered anything....well, that shows what you don't know, not what you do. Just how that is.

On an equally on topic note:

I just ate the best Carne Asada burrito of my life. I am so happy and full right now....ate too fast though. It's ok...no pain no gain.

#23 ·
I just ate the best Carne Asada burrito of my life. I am so happy and full right now....ate too fast though. It's ok...no pain no gain.
That burrito was just made from off the shelf parts. Make sure you don’t give the chef any credit for how good it tasted. ;)

#25 ·
Wow, lot's of replies....

So there is a still an engine misfire issue and they have no idea. Alfa "engineering" said to replace a bad turbo coolant line and see if that works (yeah right). Tech thought is may be a "sticking" valve. 2 1/2 weeks in...no resolution.

FYI 36K mileage.

I have contacted other FCA dealers and independents. Basic service can be done, but no one other than an authorized Alfa dealer will touch any warranty work.

I still own the Stelvio ......maybe I will convince my wife to keep the Edge and the Stelvio :)

For what it is worth, here is my take on the Edge ST:

Heavier for sure (~400 pounds), more torque and HP, but frankly the Alfa feels faster with the 2.0. Pretty amazing. Alfa handles better. Edge is roomier, way better tech, and feels solid.

I feel like I took a step back, but can't handle the dealer issues.

#30 ·
For me, that was what steered me away from the Edge ST. 335hp/380tq and an 8 speed in a 4400# vehicle should be way swifter. I don't know what's up with it.

As to your Stelvio, the last one I heard about like yours had no compression/low compression on 1 or more cylinders. Dealer replaced turbos and everything. Obviously didn't fix it. Im guessing its failure in the byzantine system that is Fiat multiair. Put that as my guess: multi air related failure.

That said, Im super curious how fast an Edge really is, real world, if you have a dragy. I fiund the thread where the Stelvio owner here put his stelvio on the clock without brake torquing it, very enlightening. Drag strip starts just arent my thing. I want to know ahat the car does when you need the beans without planning it out and staging it up, etc.

#26 ·
....I ran the Ford service dept at a couple different branches of one of the biggest Ford dealers in the world and...when I talk trash about dealers.....it's Ford I am talking about. Best thing you have with them is there are always multiple dealers, unlike Alfa. Otherwise..same day, different dollar. Ford techs replace thing to see what will happen all the time..mostly because Ford engineering doesn't respond to most inquiries.

Good luck. Not trying to be negative just ....keep your expectations realistic is all. The cars are a more known factor in terms of what fails and there are more dealers and more techs with alot of experience....but better support from the factory or less manipulative dealers.....yeah..hope I'm out of touch and wrong.

Please enjoy your car, don't let me ruin that in anyway...just..maybe easier to enjoy it long term if you have realistic expectations.

Hopefully, and probably it won't matter as most likely you won't need any warranty work on the Ford.

#32 ·
Is this the high speed oil control solenoid?

Have you changed your oil at 10k every oil change?

Realize contaminants in the oil can cause a solenoid to stick.

Which is exactly why I was worried by the grit I found still in my engine after a 10k oil change.

Not saying you did anything wrong, saying Alfa should have spec'de shorter oil change intervals. Really every manufacturer should IMO. Not because the oil fails..because the filter does and allows unfiltered oil to circulate in various amounts. Hydraulic valvetrain uses engine oil...small pieces of dirt are not welcome. (I think that's why they didn't put an oil dipstick in the Alfa engine but did in the Jeep. I think Alfa knows MultiAir is very sensitive to any dirt.. more so than a normal valvetrain like Jeep uses. Total guess/assumption not fact)

#33 ·
The next question is why don't people just ignore the service reminders on the cars. Its called a piece of paper and pen, or an excel sheet in your computer. I gave up on that crap after the first dealer service, then I took over, read online and found how to rest the miles to next change, that other message goes away or is inconsequential. Forget if it was 10 pumps, or on /off/on/off stuff but it worked. Some want a door open , some don't. usually pretty simple. Industry has owners trained like Pavlov.
BTW, just block the little prick like I did a month or so ago....glsad it wasn't just me knowing how clueless he really was all the time. He never did comment on the Motor trend dissection of that Type S.......pathetic was an appropriate word......his vehicle's lineage.

#34 ·
I was able to reset my minder the first time but there is a second one that needs the dealer...i ignore the thing even though it pops up every time the car starts. Dealer is 120 or so miles away..car has never been inside one since i bought it. I do have a couple outstanding recalls on it but i just cant take off work for a day to get it done and nobody opens on weekends anymore.

#39 ·
+1
Last OP indicated, he still owned the Stelvio and the dealer was looking into what's wrong. I will be amused if the dude without a Stelvio is the one who posted the solution first, lol! That said, I'll be happy for OP that the fix is easy and straight forward and he can be back to enjoying his vehicle.

#52 ·
Sometimes it amazes me how slow dealers go when they don't have a fire lit under their butt.
Why are they even telling you that they received direction to put a camera scope down the bore before they have even done it.
Your car should already be in their shop, just hanging out.

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to pop the hood, pop the engine cover, pull 4 coils and plugs, and run the scope down the bores.
They should be telling you "Yeah, we talked to Alfa, and they asked us to scope the bores, and here's what we found when we did so..."
Not telling you "Yeah, we talked to Alfa, and they asked us to scope the bores, and we're going to do that, as soon as the stars and moons align for us."

I'm sorry your dealer sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.