Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts
Hello! Sorry to hear about your issues.
Same problem at 55 thousand miles. My dealer seemed to know exactly what was wrong. Bad solenoid in the Multiair cartridge. Have to replace the whole cartridge. That fixed it
Smunger, did you see this? Once again, maybe, just maybe, the forum has diagnosed the problem....................we know you are going to miss it!!!!

Reactions: Jwg223
Discussion starter · #42 ·
Smunger, did you see this? Once again, maybe, just maybe, the forum has diagnosed the problem....................we know you are going to miss it!!!!
Sorry, been busy with family....as of today 4/1822 5:33 PST...no word. This morning the Service Manager in Berkeley, CA told me cylinder 4 still showed low compression after replacing a coolant line (which I knew was not the issue), It will be four weeks this Thursday (I AM NOT KIDDING).

So, we shall see.....

Discussion starter · #43 ·
For me, that was what steered me away from the Edge ST. 335hp/380tq and an 8 speed in a 4400# vehicle should be way swifter. I don't know what's up with it.

As to your Stelvio, the last one I heard about like yours had no compression/low compression on 1 or more cylinders. Dealer replaced turbos and everything. Obviously didn't fix it. Im guessing its failure in the byzantine system that is Fiat multiair. Put that as my guess: multi air related failure.

That said, Im super curious how fast an Edge really is, real world, if you have a dragy. I fiund the thread where the Stelvio owner here put his stelvio on the clock without brake torquing it, very enlightening. Drag strip starts just arent my thing. I want to know ahat the car does when you need the beans without planning it out and staging it up, etc.
The ST Edge is not the Stelvio as far as general acceleration and cornering, although it corners very nice with the factory Hankooks (which cost more than the Michelin AS pilot Sports on my Stelvio). Hard to tell which vehicle has the better AWD. I have always been an RWD-based guy, so I was really apprehensive with a transverse turbo V6....but it works.

My Wife hated the Stelvio...too aggressive and "twitchy" the Ford is 400 pounds heavier and bigger...it definitely feels more solid/stable.....but I miss the acceleration. You need to really put your foot into the ST to get it moving.

I don't have a GPS 0-60 unit.....but I would say 5.7 or so....

The ST Edge is not the Stelvio as far as general acceleration and cornering, although it corners very nice with the factory Hankooks (which cost more than the Michelin AS pilot Sports on my Stelvio). Hard to tell which vehicle has the better AWD. I have always been an RWD-based guy, so I was really apprehensive with a transverse turbo V6....but it works.

My Wife hated the Stelvio...too aggressive and "twitchy" the Ford is 400 pounds heavier and bigger...it definitely feels more solid/stable.....but I miss the acceleration. You need to really put your foot into the ST to get it moving.

I don't have a GPS 0-60 unit.....but I would say 5.7 or so....
I've seen real world numbers of low 6's all the way to high 6's for t he Edge, which is why I ask. I have found that the magazines are pretty bunk, honestly, for how I drive. I do not brake torque vehicles when I consider their 0-60 because when am I going to do that on the street? It's much like the 5500rpm clutch drop that gets an STI that low 5 second 0-60. Never. I actually pay for the upkeep, lol! magazines don't.

My ex gf had an Edge, but was a 2.3 or 2.0 or something other than the V6. Its AWD was excellent and I liked how it handled, but it definitely felt its heft.

I hope you get your stelvio sorted. I interestingly came from a RWD sports car background, and now drive FWD/AWD SUV's, lol! My CX5 was okay, my RAV4 Prime was abysmal, but my RDX handles pretty RWD because of the overdriven rear and the torque vectoring. I didn't thrash the Stelvio on my test drive, but I didn't note in hard acceleration or cornering that it felt any different from my RDX, likely as I don't take either of them to the point of actually sliding. I am betting if I did, the Stelvio would oversteer and the RDX would understeer, until both of their respective systems reined them in and corrected it. The RDX definitely feels lighter on its feet because of the flatter handling, but the Stelvio's 50/50 weight distribution makes it a total Miata in dynamics, I bet.

I didn't drive an Edge ST because of my ex's Edge. It was not a quality vehicle. By 80K miles it had:

Dead SYNC3
Dead wiper motors
Dead axle

This kindof wiped Ford off the map for me with a "Yup, same old company I worked for in the early 2000's".

That said, the new SYNC is supposed to be more stable, and wiper motors seem odd, so hopefully the new new Ford's are G2G.

Sorry, been busy with family....as of today 4/1822 5:33 PST...no word. This morning the Service Manager in Berkeley, CA told me cylinder 4 still showed low compression after replacing a coolant line (which I knew was not the issue), It will be four weeks this Thursday (I AM NOT KIDDING).

So, we shall see.....
Like I opined early in this thread, I am strongly of the opinion the multi-aire has shat the bed in some manner. The only other explanation is physical damage to rings/piston or valves, and I'd think this would be an audible occurrence and also not so "variable". The multi-aire is a very complex way of doing a very simple thing, and it's prone to stuff like this if anything at all goes awry.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
So latest today....dealer says they have consulted with "Engineering" and now want to check the cylinder for "scoring" and also check the engine oil for metal.

Ugghhh! 3 1/2 weeks and counting!!

Cylinder scoring is definitely possible since you have a loss of compression. If that's the case you should get a brand new engine out of this under warranty (assuming you aren't over the four year time limit, although with only 36K miles, even if that was the case, I would hope Alfa would do a "goodwill" replacement).

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Cylinder scoring is definitely possible since you have a loss of compression. If that's the case you should get a brand new engine out of this under warranty (assuming you aren't over the four year time limit, although with only 36K miles, even if that was the case, I would hope Alfa would do a "goodwill" replacement).
Actually extended the warranty...so I should be OK.

I also live in Sacramento - bummed that the Alfa dealer here closed! I just got a 2018 Stelvio Ti from alfa stevens creek. I guess Berkley is our nearest dealer? So if I need to do anything under warranty I would have to go there?

Discussion starter · #51 ·
I also live in Sacramento - bummed that the Alfa dealer here closed! I just got a 2018 Stelvio Ti from alfa stevens creek. I guess Berkley is our nearest dealer? So if I need to do anything under warranty I would have to go there?
Unfortunately yes.....or Livermore. Berkeley is a really small operation and would not surprised me if they dumped Alfa.

Mine ran great for four years and 36K, other than a replacement battery. Maybe I just had a bad engine.

So latest today....dealer says they have consulted with "Engineering" and now want to check the cylinder for "scoring" and also check the engine oil for metal.

Ugghhh! 3 1/2 weeks and counting!!
Sometimes it amazes me how slow dealers go when they don't have a fire lit under their butt.
Why are they even telling you that they received direction to put a camera scope down the bore before they have even done it.
Your car should already be in their shop, just hanging out.

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to pop the hood, pop the engine cover, pull 4 coils and plugs, and run the scope down the bores.
They should be telling you "Yeah, we talked to Alfa, and they asked us to scope the bores, and here's what we found when we did so..."
Not telling you "Yeah, we talked to Alfa, and they asked us to scope the bores, and we're going to do that, as soon as the stars and moons align for us."

I'm sorry your dealer sucks.

That sucks. I hope they gave you a loaner. Unfortunately sometimes the only solution is to have your lawyer send the dealer and Alfa corporate a letter if the car is still under warranty. They dont like that.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
Hello,

Have not posted on this topic since April. Absolutely incredible......Alfa dealer in Berkeley, CA has had my 2018 Ti Sport since MARCH 25!!!. They went back and forth with Alfa corporate engineering and the insurance company. Tore the engine down and found out the ring on cylinder 4 broke apart, wasted the cylinder, the turbo, and the catalytic converter.

Still not ready, the say mid to late August. Can't believe it.

Silver lining...thank god I bought an extended warranty....dealer said parts/labor would have been 20K plus (blue book is ~ 27K)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.