Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm looking through listings for used and new Stelvios and weighing the usefulness of the different safety options, I'm trying to get a read on whether or not there are any big safety enhancements throughout the model year range. The Static packages and Dynamic look pretty similar throughout the years, but I know I must be missing something. Finally any thoughts on the real-life usefulness of these is welcome. My wife's Mazda CX-9 has a nice blind spot warning that works very well. I've never driven a car with any active safety measures--not sure I'd miss them. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would recommend the Static package mostly for the blind spot warning system. Rear visibility is not the best on the Stelvio.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
No major changes on functionailty of the safety stuff 2018 to 2020.

However, I believe lane keeping assist (self steering) comes with Adaptive Cruise on the 2020, but not before.

Personally the rear cross-traffic is the most useful as parking lot visibility while backing up isnt great..

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm a big fan of the adaptive cruise control. I like it if I"m on a 2-line hwy I can set the cruise (and the distance) and pace the car in front of me. It also has the bonus a forward collision alert (FCA) that will warn you if you're "closing the gap" too fast on the vehicle in front of you (and it will also apply the brakes if you're too slow).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 sport with 4K miles, Got a great deal at year end. Previous ride had touchscreen, I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like the controls at my finger tips. My first post, so don't be to hard on me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As I'm looking through listings for used and new Stelvios and weighing the usefulness of the different safety options, I'm trying to get a read on whether or not there are any big safety enhancements throughout the model year range. The Static packages and Dynamic look pretty similar throughout the years, but I know I must be missing something. Finally any thoughts on the real-life usefulness of these is welcome. My wife's Mazda CX-9 has a nice blind spot warning that works very well. I've never driven a car with any active safety measures--not sure I'd miss them. Thanks for any info.
I really like the static package. Great for backing up. I'm not a big fan of regular cruise control so I doubt if I would like acc.In general I worry that the various nannies end up reducing driver attention. Just me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I don't really drive long distances very often and rarely use cruise control too. I've read some people really don't like the loss of control (or perceived loss of control) when the active safety features take over. I used to hate when my old 4Runner would brake and shudder when I would take a corner at what I thought was a reasonable speed. That old beast disagreed and every time I was shocked and had to re-focus my driving after going "what the F**K!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2019 sport with 4K miles, Got a great deal at year end. Previous ride had touchscreen, I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like the controls at my finger tips. My first post, so don't be to hard on me.
Diggs let's see some pics! I'm looking forward to getting some kind of great deal on a Stelvio too. Maybe at year end. Looks like right now a lot of 2018s are coming off lease, so next year should be the 2019s about this time.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
ACC causes trains. My steady state driving just requires I pass the slower car then resume.

You will see the touchscreen phased out on many vehicles as their distraction level is riduculous. Ours is a modified I drive system...pure tactical . Eyes do not need to follow finger to target. 2020 is very nice upgrades FWIW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts