Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving 2018 Stelvio with 17K on returning from a long trip here is what happened: With ACC on driving into mist, it went off (ACC not available), a few minutes later cruise when off. Went through a rain storm (don't know if that had anything to do with it, but), next got warning light on dash that left signal light was out, then right, then running lights, brake lights, repeated warnings. For next few hundred miles no cruise and continued warning lights. But visably checked signal lights and they were working. Went to dealer and they determined there was a fault of some kind in one of the tail lights? They had to order part. Left dealer and noticed the lane change buzzer not working. Finally, just as arrived home a warning light on dash that the "electronic throtle control service required". Thankfully the headligts were working and it seems to be running normal. But, Now I am skeptical that the dealer's "fix" is what is needed. Advice and information appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When it’s raining hard, the front collision warning & braking are sometimes temporarily disabled for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes I have a 2020 and get ACC not available in heavy rainstorms or driving in moderate rain for more than 20 min as well. I just ignore it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have a 2020 and get ACC not available in heavy rainstorms or driving in moderate rain for more than 20 min as well. I just ignore it.
Thanks to all of you for your responses. Here are my collective response and update: Yes, the dealer told me the recall mentioned above was completed. Your comments about the system deactivating itself in a rainstorm makes sense. But the implication in some of the posts is that the systems restore themselves. How long after the notice that the FCC is not available and all the warning lights before the system is back online? After we got home from the trip the car sat in the garage for four days until I made a short trip. And all the warning lights came back on, including the electronic throtle needing service.
When any of you did have dealer work done to fix this issue, what did they do. My dealer now has the part and could replace the part they believe is the issue, but I am still skeptical, especially after all the information from you guys. So maybe someone can clearify what I may expect from this point.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
150 Posts
@NewAlphaOwner

The fact that various warning lights are not turning off days after your initial incident indicates that there is more to the picture than the ACC briefly not being available for use in a heavy rainstorm. Also, you've listed a "electronic throttle control service required" warning - so it sounds like you really need to bring your Stelvio in for service.

You wrote that your dealer / service writer is ready to work with you - he's obtained a replacement part and has asked you to bring the car in and let him fix the issues. My vote is to move forward and give him the chance to perform :)

I'll help you out by pinging @AlfaRomeoCares to this thread so they can assist you in what sounds like your first dealer warranty service.

Get back to this thread with your service experience and what part they replaced.

Hope that helps -

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@NewAlphaOwner

The fact that various warning lights are not turning off days after your initial incident indicates that there is more to the picture than the ACC briefly not being available for use in a heavy rainstorm. Also, you've listed a "electronic throttle control service required" warning - so it sounds like you really need to bring your Stelvio in for service.

You wrote that your dealer / service writer is ready to work with you - he's obtained a replacement part and has asked you to bring the car in and let him fix the issues. My vote is to move forward and give him the chance to perform :)

I'll help you out by pinging @AlfaRomeoCares to this thread so they can assist you in what sounds like your first dealer warranty service.

Get back to this thread with your service experience and what part they replaced.

Hope that helps -
Thanks for all your info and advice. I would definitely take it back to the dealer except it is 150miles away for the closest. So, I will see what happens for awhile and will take it in when oil change is due, that is, assuming no worse issue. The interesting thing is that performance is normal including normal turn signal even when I am getting rapid signal on the dash. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Totally get the issues with having a dealer so far away.

The part may have gone bad during a rainstrom..even with the recal performed...due to defective sealing on the part itself. The relative humidity level in the air was too high...

...Or it could be a coincidence that is when the part began to have issues.

Either way that the issues continue..best to get fixed immediatly and also checked to verify there is nothing else damaged due to the bad part. Even if the issues seem minor. Fix 'em while minor. Fixing once major is so much harder.

Rule 1 of cars....if a problem happens once and goes away, fine - laugh about it. If it doesn't..waiting to find out/fix what it is ALWAYS makes it worse. Rule isn't 100%...but then we have rule 2: better safe then sorry.

Not trying to scare you..just strange electrical issues....those are the worst. You don't want them to cascade.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for giving us a shout-out @fast_dave and bringing this to our attention. @NewAlphaOwner , if you would like our additional support while working alongside your dealer throughout the repair process, please do not hesitate to send our team a private message! We'd be more than happy to look into your situation further for you.

Thanks a ton,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for giving us a shout-out @fast_dave and bringing this to our attention. @NewAlphaOwner , if you would like our additional support while working alongside your dealer throughout the repair process, please do not hesitate to send our team a private message! We'd be more than happy to look into your situation further for you.

Thanks a ton,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares
Thank you. Glad to know you guys are there. Will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks a ton,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares
I tried to send a private message, but I am not familiar with how that works, so I will post it here. The short story is I took the car back to dealer, 300 miles round trip and their fix did not work. Please get involved. This issue is getting old. There is a more lengthy update on the private message if it ever got to you. I cannot find it now. However it did get through to fast-dave and he responded, thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds like water getting into the bodycomputer..... It's located in the passenger footwell, as part of the fusebox. I'd check that for water......
Last Thursday after we drove the 150 miles to the dealer and waited 4 hours, they first replaced the the right side taillight assembly. When that did not fix the problem they called AR engineers and at their direction replaced the body computer as you suspicioned. They brought the care out for us to take it and when I started it all the warning lights began coming on. So it was just like it was when I took it in. So here we are back home waiting for some word. Drove it yesterday and still got all the lights. Thanks for your interest. Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I assume they checked the battery charge before returning it? After repairs whereby the ignition is often on, the battery can get run down.
Other "simple" issues bad/loose battery connections, bad ground connections, .. ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I assume they checked the battery charge before returning it? After repairs whereby the ignition is often on, the battery can get run down.
Other "simple" issues bad/loose battery connections, bad ground connections, .. ?
Nothing has been said about anything to do with the battery. You would think that AR trained technicians would check all that. When the problem first started I was on return from a long trip, so I would doubt it was a battery issue.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Check your battery voltage. Hopefully it is low. If so, replace the battery and see if the lights go away.

The reason you gave for ruling out the the battery is the EXACT SAME REASON the dealer probably didn't look at it either.

However FACT IS you have no clue what caused this and neither does the dealer. Decades in auto repair have taught me do not ever rule out anything untill you have first checked to verify, then verify again sometimes. Doing otherwise is just a good way to make it take longer to diagnose.

Can't tell you how many times I have come into a hard diagnosis and found the problem to be something another tech didn't check because he/she "thought that couldn't be it, no way." But that was it and instead of finding it in day 1 they ruled it out on day 1, then took till day 14 to figured out that was the problem. Sometimes it makes the job more expensive too because a bunch of stuff was worked on that didnt need to be....

The "smart" charging system for the battery doesn't work how you think and it could be the battery voltage. Even on a long trip. Do a search for people with battery problem during or immediatly after a long trip. It happens.

Check the battery.

Otherwise this is something more then just water intrusion and will take time for serious diagnosis..most likely several days. Seriously, just check the battery voltage..any auto parts store can do it for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check your battery voltage. Hopefully it is low. If so, replace the battery and see if the lights go away.

The reason you gave for ruling out the the battery is the EXACT SAME REASON the dealer probably didn't look at it either.

However FACT IS you have no clue what caused this and neither does the dealer. Decades in auto repair have taught me do not ever rule out anything untill you have first checked to verify, then verify again sometimes. Doing otherwise is just a good way to make it take longer to diagnose.

Can't tell you how many times I have come into a hard diagnosis and found the problem to be something another tech didn't check because he/she "thought that couldn't be it, no way." But that was it and instead of finding it in day 1 they ruled it out on day 1, then took till day 14 to figured out that was the problem. Sometimes it makes the job more expensive too because a bunch of stuff was worked on that didnt need to be....

The "smart" charging system for the battery doesn't work how you think and it could be the battery voltage. Even on a long trip. Do a search for people with battery problem during or immediatly after a long trip. It happens.

Check the battery.

Otherwise this is something more then just water intrusion and will take time for serious diagnosis..most likely several days. Seriously, just check the battery voltage..any auto parts store can do it for you.
Thanks for that incite. I will follow up as soon as I am near an auto parts store. What voltage am I looking for? 12-13? Will a voltmeter be accurate enough? However, here is some more skepticism - everything works ie turn signals, break lights, running lights, headlights, all except the cruise control they just all flash the warning!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts