Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
It will do that. Doesn't mean one way or the other the voltage is low or not. Cruise control takes alot more power to run then the headlights.

Test it under load, the person at the Auto Parts store should know what that means. You want 12 volts under load (12.6 is pefect I believe), even 11.5 is considered low. All the lights and stuff will work, but it is low and can cause warning lights.

Not to mention-again- it is a 3 year old car. It is time for the battery to be replaced, waiting for it to completely fail just means alot of timedriving with weird electrical stuff happeneing.

I get it..my car feels brand new too. It isn't though. 3 years old next month...getting myself a new battery..next month. It isn't miles for the battery it is time.

Should the dealers know this already and look at that first?

Well..as a fleet the Alfa Romeo Stelvio is only about 4 years old and really didn't sell many cars those first 2 years. The Dealers are learning as they go like the rest of us. Considering half thier techs were graduating High School when the Stelvio launched best to keep expectations realistic. They are learning.

Regardless..it may not be the battery? Or it might, good to get it checked. Might check it, find it low and replace it. Then the warning lights don't go away, because the aging battery isnt what is causing it. Might be separate issues. Still, don't know till you check and then replace if it shows low...because there is a chance that is the issue.

Welcome to the wonderful world of computerized vehicles. How often is your computer glitchy and wierd..now you can enjoy it with your car too. Yay.

(With all that said..I would bet the battery voltage is low and replacing the battery solves the problem. Just understand nothing is 100% till it is tried and works or doesn't.)

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
150 Posts
@NewAlphaOwner

Just sayin' - You will need to take the battery out of the Stelvio and bring it inside the store (i.e. Auto Zone, O'Reillys, Pep Boys, NAPA ,Advanced Auto Parts).

They might do this/assist you in removing the battery in their parking lot as a customer service - BUT - I'd call ahead and get confirmation /names...

When the battery is out, they will hook it up to a stationary computerized battery tester that runs a simulated load test, as well as testing individual cells and the overall voltage parameters.

All of the acceptable/unacceptable battery parameters are within the ecu of the battery tester, and it'll spit out a print sheet at the end of the test telling you what is going on w/ the battery.

HTH -

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@NewAlphaOwner

Just sayin' - You will need to take the battery out of the Stelvio and bring it inside the store (i.e. Auto Zone, O'Reillys, Pep Boys, NAPA ,Advanced Auto Parts).

They might do this/assist you in removing the battery in their parking lot as a customer service - BUT - I'd call ahead and get confirmation /names...

When the battery is out, they will hook it up to a stationary computerized battery tester that runs a simulated load test, as well as testing individual cells and the overall voltage parameters.

All of the acceptable/unacceptable battery parameters are within the ecu of the battery tester, and it'll spit out a print sheet at the end of the test telling you what is going on w/ the battery.

HTH -
Alfaoffroad and Fast-Dave
Thanks to both of you - you make a lot of sense backed up with experience. I am handicapped in following up immediately in that it is 25 miles to nearest auto-parts store and 150 to the dealer (besides that it is snowing here in the northern mountains of NM). But I will put to use your advise. What batteries would be acceptable considering my options may be limited? Also, considering the car has been to the dealer two times, would I be messing up their possibilities and/or the warranty If I independently got a new battery. I don't want them to be insulted and become uncooperative. So far they have been responsive. So more of your astute advice is needed

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Replacing the battery won't affect warrenty at all.

Additionally, dealerships rarely get mad if you have a problem and solve it without them. Less warrenty work for them and a happy customer is a win-win most of the time.

People like Interstate Batteries here, really any brand will work make sure it has the same cold cranking amps (cca) you also want an AGM (absorbant glass mat) battery style. Most manufacturers make them.

If it is the battery beginning to get low, no rush, however probably best to minimize driving till you can be sure. So try to refrain from using your car to make giant snow angels.

·
438 Posts
Will a voltmeter be accurate enough?
Get a voltmeter/USB charge that fits into 12 volt power socket. That lets you see the voltage while you are driving.

Search for "Dual USB Car Charger Volt Meter Car Battery Monitor with LED Voltage & Amps Display" at Amazon to see what I'm referring to.

One example is: B07TM8VWX8 at Amazon.

It also gives you two USB charging ports for when you aren't checking the voltage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Replacing the battery won't affect warrenty at all.

Additionally, dealerships rarely get mad if you have a problem and solve it without them. Less warrenty work for them and a happy customer is a win-win most of the time.

People like Interstate Batteries here, really any brand will work make sure it has the same cold cranking amps (cca) you also want an AGM (absorbant glass mat) battery style. Most manufacturers make them.

If it is the battery beginning to get low, no rush, however probably best to minimize driving till you can be sure. So try to refrain from using your car to make giant snow angels.
Thank you, will need that information if it gets to the point of replacing the battery. Still working on related issues.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts