Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have driven 2 different Stelvio models and wonder if the standard seats on the base model are really comfortable over the long run. Or is is advisable to go the the sport seats with the thigh extenders that come in the T I model? Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Good to know you and welcome. We have found the base seats to be ideal and intentionally chose them over the sport seats. For me/us they are great for long trips however fit is a very personal thing for this reason: At 5'5" (wife is 5'2") cushion length is a big deal for us due to pressure at the top of the calf. Also, my wife feels deep bolsters are restrictive. Base seats were the best choice for us and we have no regrets. None. In fact our Stelvio is the most comfortable car- (ride, interior noise, seat comfort, overall fit) of any we have ever owned. BUT: For taller people longer and adjustable seat bottoms might be the better choice. I was adamant about not wanting a sunroof and about half of the base models didn't have them making it easy to find several with the safety and luxury packages we wanted. Good luck + it'll be interesting to see which way you go!

Reactions: liv4spd

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Scalewoodman and prefer the base seat over the sports seat.

Good to know you and welcome. We have found the base seats to be ideal and intentionally chose them over the sport seats. For me/us they are great for long trips however fit is a very personal thing for this reason: At 5'5" (wife is 5'2") cushion length is a big deal for us due to pressure at the top of the calf. Also, my wife feels deep bolsters are restrictive. Base seats were the best choice for us and we have no regrets. None. In fact our Stelvio is the most comfortable car- (ride, interior noise, seat comfort, overall fit) of any we have ever owned. BUT: For taller people longer and adjustable seat bottoms might be the better choice. I was adamant about not wanting a sunroof and about half of the base models didn't have them making it easy to find several with the safety and luxury packages we wanted. Good luck + it'll be interesting to see which way you go!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Going to be a personal preference. The sport seats, while a little snug for a big guy like myself, have the adjustments to get into the correct position to take pressure off my lower back. I couldn't get comfortable in the base seats.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the sport seats with the extender but I'm 6'2" and the extender doesn't do anything for me. Ideally a tilting seat would be best but that unfortunately isn't an option. Since my thighs aren't fully supported, it isn't the most comfortable seat for long trips but I've sat in worse and I do like the adjustable side bolsters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello,
5'6" s, medium frame here. I find the sports seats extremely comfortable. i have always liked a seat w/side bolsters from back in the day of the Recaro's in my Milano Verde.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We test drove both seats and initially felt that the standard ones would be a better choice. But, reality has a way of intruding on one's plans. I found a "used" Stelvio Ti Sport with 1700 miles on it and paid about $15K under MSRP for it. It has the Ti sport seats. I bought the car in Las Vegas and immediately drove it 1100 miles home to Oregon. I think the sport seats will do nicely. I'm 6'0", 200lbs with long legs. The adjustable side bolsters fit my bulk pretty well, and the lumbar support is better than ones I've had in the past. I also wish the seat bottom could be raised and lowered in front as well as in back, but the thigh extension might help in that regard - I haven't used it yet.

btw, it's a Ti Sport without a sunroof. So they do exist.:wink

(I also want to add that these seats, while pretty nice, are not as good as the ones in my beloved '85 Peugeot 505 Turbo. I still miss that car. It had the Best. Seats. Ever.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
(I also want to add that these seats, while pretty nice, are not as good as the ones in my beloved '85 Peugeot 505 Turbo. I still miss that car. It had the Best. Seats. Ever.)
Many, many years ago I had a Peugeot 504. I agree -- wonderful seats.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Ti Sport and LOVE the sport seats. I am 5'5" and about 140#, so a smaller frame guy - I would imagine someone with a larger frame may find them a bit tight - but the seats do have lots of adjustability.
I brought my Stelvio in for the recall service yesterday and got a Stelvio loaner with the base seats - and my personal impression is that I find them very flat and leave you with a wandering feeling that you'd roll right off the seat if you made a hard turn; if you're inclined to drive the Stelvio in a sporting fashion, I would think you would want the sport seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried both and much prefer the sport seats. I found the standard seats to be a bit too flat as someone else noted. I like the bolstering on the sport seats and the hugging feeling they give you. For reference, I'm 6' and 210 lbs, so not a small guy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Seat comfort

I think its a matter of personal choice. I didn't like the bolstered seats, thought they were uncomfortable yet my wife liked the bolstered seats better.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I think its a matter of personal choice. I didn't like the bolstered seats, thought they were uncomfortable yet my wife liked the bolstered seats better.
So which one of you prevailed? How did you negotiate this one?!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Seat comfort

Since this car was mainly for me, as she predominately drives the Mazda 6 and had a Miata before that, which was fun to drive but not comfortable for me (6'tall), I prevailed. Have to admit though I can see the bolstering would have come in handy when I get a little frisky on 90 degree turns.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
5'10" 190 lbs and loving the TiSport seats

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since this car was mainly for me, as she predominately drives the Mazda 6 and had a Miata before that, which was fun to drive but not comfortable for me (6'tall), I prevailed. Have to admit though I can see the bolstering would have come in handy when I get a little frisky on 90 degree turns.

My hb is 6.2’tall and and said no way we are getting sports seats even though Stelvio is ment predominantly for me! ) I wasn’t thrilled at first but began apreciating the choice in winter wearing sweaters and heavy coats would have prob be uncomfortable with the sports seats even for me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
6’2” 220# slab of hockey goon. I wouldn’t drive a Stelvio with the stock fruit crate seats. The Sport seats provide the necessary stability for the kind of dynamic driving the car wants.

I’ll admit the bolsters could be wider though.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
763 Posts
My hb is 6.2’tall and and said no way we are getting sports seats even though Stelvio is ment predominantly for me! ) I wasn’t thrilled at first but began apreciating the choice in winter wearing sweaters and heavy coats would have prob be uncomfortable with the sports seats even for me.
You could always move to Florida and enjoy the winter driving around with the windows down and the nice sport seats. Just a suggestion :smile

·
Registered
330 Posts
6’2” 220# slab of hockey goon. I wouldn’t drive a Stelvio with the stock fruit crate seats. The Sport seats provide the necessary stability for the kind of dynamic driving the car wants.

I’ll admit the bolsters could be wider though.
5' 10" 175 lbs of SOFT HOCKEY HANDS (the guy the GOONS protect) !!! Need the sport seats all the way....Don't like getting thrown around !!! Last photo I must have chirped that guy...his stick is a little high...Rare to see me along the boards....not my style....LET'S GO RANGERS !!!
(The obligatory "CROSBY SUCKS!!!!") I know , I know...that's Bob Nystrom...still have to respect that team, even as a Rangers fan....

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
You could always move to Florida and enjoy the winter driving around with the windows down and the nice sport seats. Just a suggestion
???....I’ll tthink about it!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts