Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Seat Comfort

36K views 84 replies 46 participants last post by  ALFAOFFROAD 
#1 ·
My wife and I have driven 2 different Stelvio models and wonder if the standard seats on the base model are really comfortable over the long run. Or is is advisable to go the the sport seats with the thigh extenders that come in the T I model? Thanks for the advice.

#2 ·
Good to know you and welcome. We have found the base seats to be ideal and intentionally chose them over the sport seats. For me/us they are great for long trips however fit is a very personal thing for this reason: At 5'5" (wife is 5'2") cushion length is a big deal for us due to pressure at the top of the calf. Also, my wife feels deep bolsters are restrictive. Base seats were the best choice for us and we have no regrets. None. In fact our Stelvio is the most comfortable car- (ride, interior noise, seat comfort, overall fit) of any we have ever owned. BUT: For taller people longer and adjustable seat bottoms might be the better choice. I was adamant about not wanting a sunroof and about half of the base models didn't have them making it easy to find several with the safety and luxury packages we wanted. Good luck + it'll be interesting to see which way you go!

#4 ·
Going to be a personal preference. The sport seats, while a little snug for a big guy like myself, have the adjustments to get into the correct position to take pressure off my lower back. I couldn't get comfortable in the base seats.

#40 ·
How wide do the sport seat bolsters get? I was assuming I would finally be coming home in my new Stelvio Saturday only to find they sold it between the time the dealer told me he would have it ready and the time I arrived (4 hour window, not happy but I never put the money down), Now I have a line on another that has. everything I want, but the **** sport seats. No ifs ands or butts, I am fat. I just want to know the adjustment range. Is it inches or mm's?

Michael

#5 ·
I have the sport seats with the extender but I'm 6'2" and the extender doesn't do anything for me. Ideally a tilting seat would be best but that unfortunately isn't an option. Since my thighs aren't fully supported, it isn't the most comfortable seat for long trips but I've sat in worse and I do like the adjustable side bolsters.

#7 · (Edited)
We test drove both seats and initially felt that the standard ones would be a better choice. But, reality has a way of intruding on one's plans. I found a "used" Stelvio Ti Sport with 1700 miles on it and paid about $15K under MSRP for it. It has the Ti sport seats. I bought the car in Las Vegas and immediately drove it 1100 miles home to Oregon. I think the sport seats will do nicely. I'm 6'0", 200lbs with long legs. The adjustable side bolsters fit my bulk pretty well, and the lumbar support is better than ones I've had in the past. I also wish the seat bottom could be raised and lowered in front as well as in back, but the thigh extension might help in that regard - I haven't used it yet.

btw, it's a Ti Sport without a sunroof. So they do exist.:wink

(I also want to add that these seats, while pretty nice, are not as good as the ones in my beloved '85 Peugeot 505 Turbo. I still miss that car. It had the Best. Seats. Ever.)

#9 ·
I have the Ti Sport and LOVE the sport seats. I am 5'5" and about 140#, so a smaller frame guy - I would imagine someone with a larger frame may find them a bit tight - but the seats do have lots of adjustability.
I brought my Stelvio in for the recall service yesterday and got a Stelvio loaner with the base seats - and my personal impression is that I find them very flat and leave you with a wandering feeling that you'd roll right off the seat if you made a hard turn; if you're inclined to drive the Stelvio in a sporting fashion, I would think you would want the sport seats.

#14 ·
Seat comfort

Since this car was mainly for me, as she predominately drives the Mazda 6 and had a Miata before that, which was fun to drive but not comfortable for me (6'tall), I prevailed. Have to admit though I can see the bolstering would have come in handy when I get a little frisky on 90 degree turns.

#16 ·
Since this car was mainly for me, as she predominately drives the Mazda 6 and had a Miata before that, which was fun to drive but not comfortable for me (6'tall), I prevailed. Have to admit though I can see the bolstering would have come in handy when I get a little frisky on 90 degree turns.

My hb is 6.2’tall and and said no way we are getting sports seats even though Stelvio is ment predominantly for me! ) I wasn’t thrilled at first but began apreciating the choice in winter wearing sweaters and heavy coats would have prob be uncomfortable with the sports seats even for me.

#15 ·
5'10" 190 lbs and loving the TiSport seats

#17 ·
6’2” 220# slab of hockey goon. I wouldn’t drive a Stelvio with the stock fruit crate seats. The Sport seats provide the necessary stability for the kind of dynamic driving the car wants.

I’ll admit the bolsters could be wider though.

Reactions: Alfaholico
#19 ·
5' 10" 175 lbs of SOFT HOCKEY HANDS (the guy the GOONS protect) !!! Need the sport seats all the way....Don't like getting thrown around !!! Last photo I must have chirped that guy...his stick is a little high...Rare to see me along the boards....not my style....LET'S GO RANGERS !!!
(The obligatory "CROSBY SUCKS!!!!") I know , I know...that's Bob Nystrom...still have to respect that team, even as a Rangers fan....

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
I'm 6-4, 235lbs, never played an inning of hockey.:) I'm always concerned about seats due to 50+ years of sore backs in many cars, trucks, buses and semi's. I usually can never drive for more than several hours with out some back discomfort. My base Giulia Q4 has the interior sports package (I think they are the same standard seats as without this package). It is perfect for me and by far the most comfortable and supportive seats I have ever owned. Zero discomfort on a 12 hr trip last fall and supportive in the hair-pin turns (i don't wear those slippery leather pants ;)). First thing I told my wife is how great the seats were. Back, thighs and hips are very comfortable. I only mention this so those buying might try the non-sport seats if it is a choice and your budget is restricted like mine. The sports seats sound and look better but I am 100% happy with the standard seats. Amazingly my wife, 5-1, 120 lbs finds the seats after her adjustment very comfortable. Test both seats out to make sure.

Attachments

#22 ·
Got my Stelvio Sport this week. I wanted to love the TI Sport seats, but they just did not work. I am 6‘2” and little over 200lbs. The TI Sport seat felt too narrow. I usually lean my left knee against the door and the TI Sport seat felt rather uncomfortable. What made it even better is that wife and kids love the base seats. Meaning base seats were a perfect selection for us, despite the fact that it was rather hard to find a fully loaded non TI model. Definitely worth the wait.

#33 ·
The TI Sport seat felt too narrow. I usually lean my left knee against the door .

Leaning your left knee against the door is a habit born from driving too many cars with unsupporting seats...
Before the Stelvio we had an Outback, and my biggest complaint about it was the unsupportive front seat.
For me the Sport seats were a no-brainer after trying them out.
Luckily my wife agreed ?

#24 ·
nobody with lusso seats yet?
that would have been my choice in the q after sitting in them all. preferred the standard q seats to the sparco though
the wife and I at least agree on this point - we are both disappointed - and with the lack of wood trim.

we sat in a stelvio q for the first time last week - she said "are we stuck with the checkered grey plastic?"

yes honey, but some people love it, because it's not just any plastic, it's carbon fiber reinforced Plastic.

#25 ·
After the 1974 GTV, there hasn't been an Alfa with a nice wood trim....if you go to the Alfetta Sport Sedans of the late 70's, with their phony burled plastic wood, it was better that they didn't offer it....that being said, the current wood trim offerings are not that amazing either, with perhaps the exception of the light colored wood in the "Crema" interiors....

#36 ·
Mine has the standard seats, which I think are fine for long distances with a fair amount of lumbar support set in, but to get a more sporty feel for shorter blasts in twisty roads, I knock the lumbar support right off. This allows me to sit deeper into the seat and offers more lateral grip. Not as much as with the sports seats, but better than with lots of lumbar support.

#38 ·
I got the base seats.. And 6 months later they have not given at all and are still super comfortable. I love them...I didn't fit in the sport seats.. .I'm 5'7 and too wide for the sport seats... They were not comfortable to me... Had a bunch of nice cars with great seats in the past, wish there was a tilt but there isn't... Yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.