Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got "Service Airbag System" warning second time. I tried to clear the code using my scanner but was unable to. I was thinking about removing the airbag control module and send it to one of those online places where they reset it. Here is one of them Airbag Module Reset Service | MyAirbags

I bought the car used so I am not sure if the vehicle has been in an accident. I tried to take it a dealer but it didn't work since my warranty has been voided (it is a different story...)

I need to get the warning off so I can get the car registered.

I searched but couldn't find where the airbag control module is located. Anyone knows where it is? Or anyone has an idea how top remove the warning? Your input is apricated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
157 Posts
True.

OP, you really need to scan the car and see what fault code is being thrown by the airbag system before you just send the module in for a reset. Even if your warranty is voided, a dealer should be able to scan the system and figure out what's wrong. You'll need to pay for it of course. Or find an independent shop that will do it. Have you run the Carfax to see if any accidents were reported?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My warranty was voided because my car now has salvage title. Here is the story:

I bought the car knowing that it was a "theft recovery" vehicle. It was stolen from dealer lot when it was brand new and was found 2 months later. The insurance company took possession of the car since the dealer was already paid, and was sold to the dealer I purchased from in Florida. The car had only 2K miles, looked, ran and drove like a brand new car. Never been involved in an accident based on every report I could get including Carfax and others. It is basically brand new car (2019 Ti Sport with tons of options, MSRP about 60K). I saw it for 25K and couldn't miss the opportunity. Before I signed the papers I called Alfa Romeo customer service and was told that the car was under warranty until Jan 2024. Sounds good, right???

But when I tried to registered the car here in NJ, things got complicated. Every one I talked in DMV told me something else to register the car. I eventually ended up getting salvage title although the car had a clean Florida title with "theft recover" in its history. So once the car has salvage title, the warranty was voided by Alfa. Lesson learned, NEVER get a car with any kind of stain in its past!!!

Anyway, that's how my warrant was voided. So now I got the "Service Airbag System" warning second time. The first time it disappeared after a few day. But I HAVE TO get rid off it because my car will have to go through NJ salvage inspection before I can register it. I doubt it will pass the inspection with airbag warning. So I need to figure out a way to remove it. Dealer wants $$$ just to diagnose it and I am sure there will be additional $$$ claiming the entire module needs to be replaced.

I am sure airbags have never been deployed. I would apricate if anyone can help me to get rid off the warning. I have only 1 week left to salvage inspection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts