Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone have this issue.. I have the 20' continental tires -Ti Sport AWD.

Took it to the dealer, couldn't find any flat spots with the tires, balance was fine. They did adjust the alignment from what the factory spec supposedly was. Looked like lots of little minor changes. Drove it home and noticed its still shaking at 70ishmph

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Nothing like that here. Warped wheel, defective tire. Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you're sure the tires are OK, air pressure is OK, tires are balanced OK and the front and back end alignment are OK, then next on the list would be the wheels. Have you hit any bad pot holes, burms or run over anything significant?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi all,

Anyone have this issue.. I have the 20' continental tires -Ti Sport AWD.

Took it to the dealer, couldn't find any flat spots with the tires, balance was fine. They did adjust the alignment from what the factory spec supposedly was. Looked like lots of little minor changes. Drove it home and noticed its still shaking at 70ishmph

Thoughts?
I also noticed this time to time car jerking when I press gas pedal reguardless of speed 25 or 55 mph....Is that the shaking u’re talking about? Maybe not...but I did notice it only shakes like that if I press the pedal not precisely in the middle but slightly to the left or the right...not even sure if it’s suposed to do that But thought it’s worth mentioning...notice where ur foot is at the moment the car shakes for comparisment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had it realigned and balanced. Still shakes at around 65-75mph. You can see the steering wheel shake when you let go. Only seems to do it at this speed. Maybe a bad tire. They did make some changes to the alignment specs.. they noticed my drivers side tire was wearing inward. Not sure how much pressure I should put on the dealer. Wouldn’t they have noticed it being a bad tire when they took it off to balance?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Had it realigned and balanced. Still shakes at around 65-75mph. You can see the steering wheel shake when you let go. Only seems to do it at this speed. Maybe a bad tire. They did make some changes to the alignment specs.. they noticed my drivers side tire was wearing inward. Not sure how much pressure I should put on the dealer. Wouldn’t they have noticed it being a bad tire when they took it off to balance?
Steering wheel oscillation is not acceptable in a brand new vehicle. They could swap tires from front to rear as Marzio suggests. That is a good test. If there are still isuues the dealer needs to replace all of the tires- not 1 or 2.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I'll put money on a flat spotted wheel and it can even be a diagonal flex which is only evident when standing behind and staring down the edge of rim. My Conti shake for a mile or 2 every morning but I leave driveway and go right up to 60 so no local warmup first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How would this be remedied? Time? just continued usage?

I drove for 150 miles straight and the steering wheel hook for whole time every time I reached 70ish mph..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sounds like every Conti I’ve ever had on a car. Weirdly mushy and shakes at various speeds. It’s the item other than the not-Idrive interface I’m not looking forward to when I take delivery this week.

Based on your description it sounds like defective tire or you managed to warp a rotor or bend a rim and/or control arm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think defective tire now from what all of you have been saying. Haven't hit anything including potholes since taking delivery 3 weeks ago. Car doesn't shake when I apply breaks so don't think it would be a rotor.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Unless you have a bad belt on a tire could happen. You don't know how car was treatedduring shipment. If its the wheel its front. Wheel shimmy doesn't occur with a bad rear unless its ridiculous. Most in house techs are clueless about what to look for. Bent wheels typically have frequencies (speeds) at which the vibration increases then decreases again. How is it at 80, 90 or 100?? I have finished a track day and driven home with a bent wheel..They can act real odd.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like every Conti I’ve ever had on a car. Weirdly mushy and shakes at various speeds. It’s the item other than the not-Idrive interface I’m not looking forward to when I take delivery this week.

Based on your description it sounds like defective tire or you managed to warp a rotor or bend a rim and/or control arm.
Violently agree. 10+ years ago I had a loaded Ford Expedition (all the bells and whistles) used to tow a boat. Took delivery and from day one, had a shake at 70+ miles per hour. Back and forth to the dealer trying several things, including a new set of the same Continental tire. No change. After that they agreed to replace with Michelin LTX. Never felt the Vibration/Shimmy again. Not thrilled that my on-order Stelvio has Continental tires but oh well. Easy fix if they are an issue and could be a test of a good dealer...If a Ford dealer can replace tires with another brand, I hope a Alfa Romeo would given a similar experience.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
it may be/likely is a bad continental, but that certainly isn't typical for the brand. less likely causes - rotor, wheel bearings, and yes, wheel.
I've run Conti's for well over ten years, never had an issue with them - and they are on the new RR suv, so I obviously not a second tier product

·
Registered
48 Posts
it may be/likely is a bad continental, but that certainly isn't typical for the brand. less likely causes - rotor, wheel bearings, and yes, wheel.
I've run Conti's for well over ten years, never had an issue with them - and they are on the new RR suv, so I obviously not a second tier product
Very good to hear! A small concern to cross off the list.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Conti ??Tr's are on old truck I leave Maine and have been perfect for going on 10yrs. Yes I know I should replace them but usage is local only. Truck will never go on a trip again esp in any warm climates. I bet on your Ford, it was Ford that spec'd a CHEAP tire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well time to contact FCA. My dealer Criswell Maserati / Alfa Romeo told me that the shaking is normal.(just road vibrations)
Worthless service department

1 - 20 of 66 Posts