Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a warning light pop up while driving. Maintenance on shifter. Do not shift out of drive do not shut engine. Quite a warning.
Called dealer past 6pm maintenance shop closed.

Manual says don’t drive car can result in fire in transmission.

Parked and **** engine off anyway. Can’t just stay with foot on brake till it runs out of gas right???

Giulia forum has many similar cases. Here on Stelvio I could not find one.

Anyone else got this warning? What was outcome

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I had that warning along with a few others pop up once when I was doing a 15 point u-turn on a narrow dirt trail. After the 5th time I went 2 feet forward, hard stop, reverse two feet with the auto start/stop on the car shut off (like it had a couple times already automatically when I stopped hard) then struggled some in restart. Then the shifter warning and a frw other warning came up.

I turned off the auto start/stop finished my u-turn and drove the 30 miles home on off-road trails. All the lights went off.

Positive it was caused by low voltage due to several engine restarts in under 30 seconds causing too much draw on the battery.

Could be more serious..but...your car is 3 years old.

Your battery is good for 3 years (Maybe..really isnt the best battery to start with). Change it if you havent. Bet you don't see that warning again. If you have..another story. Please keep us updated.

Notice in the Guilia forum at least one person traced it to a bad battery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you spill any liquid into the center knobs / shifter?

Did the illumination on the shifter go off when you got the error (ie was the shifter all dark)?

I had a series of shifter losing communication errors on my 2018 last month. Car would go into semi-limp mode, and would not go into reverse. It would happen intermittently while driving, and the shifter illumination would go off for a while and then back on. The warning was a bit scary, but the car drove fine albeit in that semi-limp mode (which would clear after 3 restarts).

Ultimately, after some troubleshooting of the shifter connection, decision was to replace the entire shifter, which fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
One would think that..what with the cupholders being so close and all....those pieces would be waterproofed.

One would be wrong though. In pretty much all cars.

Smart people don't drink in thier car.

Me? I only allow drinks with screw on lids. (I dont get drinks in drive thrus, only "food")

·
Registered
515 Posts
Got a warning light pop up while driving. Maintenance on shifter. Do not shift out of drive do not shut engine. Quite a warning.
Called dealer past 6pm maintenance shop closed.

Manual says don’t drive car can result in fire in transmission.

Parked and **** engine off anyway. Can’t just stay with foot on brake till it runs out of gas right???

Giulia forum has many similar cases. Here on Stelvio I could not find one.

Anyone else got this warning? What was outcome
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing concerns with your vehicle recently. If you are able to get this properly diagnosed by your dealer and would like additional support, please send our team a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares

1 - 6 of 6 Posts