Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quadrifoglio Monte Carlo Blue/Yellow Calipers
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the wonderful world of the Stelvio Quad having just traded in my '18 Giulia Ti Sport on an '19 Stelvio Quad with 10k miles. I'm still very much riding the high of enjoying the huge difference in performance, and also getting used to this new beast, but have a question around something I think I'm noticing. In a nutshell, while driving at highway speed, it feels like when I switch from dynamic to race mode that the car actually isn't quite as responsive to throttle changes in the mid rev range and when I switch back to dynamic, I can feel that throttle response return? Granted the few times I've actually pushed the car higher in the rev band I definitely feel the power of race mode vs dynamic, I'm just curious if that should be the case across the entire rpm range? This could very well be that I'm both still new to feeling out the car and/or just insane and feeling something that isn't there, so keep that in mind. :) Thanks for any thoughts/info, just wanted to reach out to the community and ask the question!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use N or A as my “family limo mode”, D in soft as my “family on good roads mode” and race is my “enjoy mode” - I can’t really enjoy the car in D as exhaust duality puts me off and traction control is way too intrusive at slow speeds on poor surfaces. So I don’t use them in the same way and can’t say I can compare like for like.

I do notice a fair amount of engine braking off-throttle in Race in mid range and it is not something that I notice in dynamic. Could it be that you interpret this as less responsive but it is just different?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the wonderful world of the Stelvio Quad having just traded in my '18 Giulia Ti Sport on an '19 Stelvio Quad with 10k miles. I'm still very much riding the high of enjoying the huge difference in performance, and also getting used to this new beast, but have a question around something I think I'm noticing. In a nutshell, while driving at highway speed, it feels like when I switch from dynamic to race mode that the car actually isn't quite as responsive to throttle changes in the mid rev range and when I switch back to dynamic, I can feel that throttle response return? Granted the few times I've actually pushed the car higher in the rev band I definitely feel the power of race mode vs dynamic, I'm just curious if that should be the case across the entire rpm range? This could very well be that I'm both still new to feeling out the car and/or just insane and feeling something that isn't there, so keep that in mind. :) Thanks for any thoughts/info, just wanted to reach out to the community and ask the question!

Paddle or Auto?

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quadrifoglio Monte Carlo Blue/Yellow Calipers
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Deman77 - Thanks for your response, that all makes sense, it could very well be the engine breaking that I'm noticing, I think I just need to get more seat time in different situations with each mode and get more used to driving it in general. I'm used to the Ti Sport in that the change from N to D made a huge difference in how the car responded all around, so much so that I almost exclusively drove it in D with paddles. I definitely notice the same level of difference in the quad from N to D, I think it's just my expectation on there being an equally noticeable difference in going from D to Race that may be a bit off. I can definitely feel the tighter steering, suspension, and obviously the exhaust, it's just the difference in full range throttle response that I think I was expecting to also feel, and that's probably just a mis-aligned expectation on my part.

@AlfaReli - a little of both, but mostly with paddles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
There's been a chart posted numerous times with the differences between modes - memory says as far as the engine, it is only at higher rpm that you have a difference compared to dynamic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congratulations, you bought an awesome car. It does everything well from race to high speed tourer. You can cruise at 90mph and the engine is turning just 2,500rpms...just amazing with boat loads of power. I came out of a Turbo Macan and I like Porsches but that car is total [email protected] compared to this car.

To answer your question, I'm not sure if there is much difference from Dynamic to Race mode. I drive mostly in dynamic mode and there is a huge difference to N mode. When in Race mode you should switch to manual shifting. Race turns off all driving aids, I'm sure it does do more in race mod like advance the timing or valve timing but when I'm in that mode I drive the car hard so I don't really notice. In Race mode I'm shifting near redline and the car is moving and my concentration is focused on smooth driving. I would say if your cruising on the hwy just leave it in Dynamic mode. When you hit a set of twisties where you want to manual shift and push the car, then use race mode. Sometimes when at a light and something pulls up alone side me like a M5 I flick it into race mode and manual shift and leave him in my dust literately.

Have fun with it, its a great drivers car and a true sleeper.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That’s an interesting chart - in D the shifting is faster in Auto and Manual, versus in R the faster shifting is only in Manual. Driving in R using Auto shifting, the shifts won’t be as quick. Both D and R have overboost.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It’s not clear to me that the overboost is higher in R, could be, but seems to run to a higher rpm? I was noting the shift speed increase says manual only. Is that increased shift speed versus D or N? Not clear on that either. Interesting, too bad I can’t compare as I don’t have a quad😞, might have to fix that!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
My seat of the pants (and logic) - when they say faster/more anything in R, its compared to the D setting. It doesn't shift slower in auto r compared to auto d, its the same.
I think when the OP has some more driving time, he'll come to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
33 Posts
I put it in Racing mode when I have room to drive it like I stole it.
Straight lines, curvy roads, seeing the country landscape whirling
by my peripherals on a warm sunny day.

I only use manual for Race. The point is to get involved, drive it.

It wants you to rev it to each gears upper limits before you shift,
maximizing speed, giving you that sweet instant exhaust sound
exchange letting you know you're ready to rev it to the next level.

Race mode allows you to feel & experience the soul of what
makes an Italian car. Get to learn it, get to test it on an open road
and live it. ;-)

Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I defineatly get more push(torque feeling) in D than R . I have diverter valves, chip box and pedal pro as mods, but I like the intake and diverter valve noise in D. Does feel quicker in D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the car is faster in Dynamic in terms of how quick you can progress. The awd engages a lot quicker, no slippage, gearbox is telepathic. It’s very smooth and effective.
Race is a fun mode. It’s edgy on and off throttle, it only engages awd after a bit of slip took place (so that would be slower on track). It slams gears in instead of doing them smoothly. It rotates using lsd nicely with no torque vectoring and only engages front wheels after letting rears lose traction. There is a ton of drama. It is the soul of the car. It’s much more entertaining than dynamic but in dynamic you can help but admire how smoothly it can move fast. I just wish exhaust valves stayed closed even after 3.5k because I feel it’s out smooth character for dynamic. Also low speed traction control is too conservative - it cuts power so quickly and so drastically coming out of t junctions on poor surface if you step on it - it’s dangerous. I don’t ever find it problematic in race, the car has plenty of grip in awd to just power out of mild loss of traction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts