Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the Throttle in my 2018 Stelvio is quite sluggish and non-responsive when I slam the peddle, especially in A Mode. Is this just the default electronics to save fuel and promote safer driving? It can be quite disconcerting when timing a left turn onto an open highway from a stop, or left turn through any busy 4-way intersection. Can it simply be the turbo lag?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, in A-mode the throttle is much less sensitive and the transmission is programmed to be in as high of a gear as possible. It's best to use A on the highway only or in bad weather. In D mode is the opposite: more sensitive throttle and the transmission stays in lower gears so it feels faster.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
1,245 Posts
I find the Throttle in my 2018 Stelvio is quite sluggish and non-responsive when I slam the peddle, especially in A Mode. Is this just the default electronics to save fuel and promote safer driving? It can be quite disconcerting when timing a left turn onto an open highway from a stop, or left turn through any busy 4-way intersection. Can it simply be the turbo lag?
I test drove a 2018 and my findings were similar. In "A" mode it was criminally slow, and in the "D" mode it was about what you'd expect from a typical crossover. Split second delay, followed by the downshift, and then it went. From a dig there was a slight delay as well. Definitely one of the laggier electronic throttle inputs I've experienced. This was part of why I went with an Acura RDX when I was cross-shopping it with Stelvio. Much more responsive to input. Stelvio required you to almost plan a delay in, with A.

That said, many cars will not downshift under WOT mid-corner. It's programmed that way as a safety feature and makes sense.

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
581 Posts
The difference between A mode and N mode is “Engine Torque Limiter” is set to “on” with A mode and “off” with N mode.

In other words, A mode is designed to make the car “slow” as torque management doesn’t allow for full power regardless of throttle position.

A mode is primarily good for getting the best possible MPGs and perhaps more controlled launch without wheel spin in very low traction conditions like ice or packed snow.

There are several threads here detailing DNA settings. You might also check out the DNA explorer menu on your Stelvio. The owner’s manual is also a good resource.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, in A-mode the throttle is much less sensitive and the transmission is programmed to be in as high of a gear as possible. It's best to use A on the highway only or in bad weather. In D mode is the opposite: more sensitive throttle and the transmission stays in lower gears so it feels faster.
A mode and N mode are identical with the exception of “engine torque management” being “on” in A mode. All other settings are the same as per the DNA explorer menu, including transmission.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Given the difference in throttle response I am experiencing after cleaning my MAF.... If you have a 2018 and the throttle seems sluggish... Clean the MAF. Probably won't help for everyone but it's cheap and easy and might help some people.

The difference is enough I am having to give less pedal pressure when accelerating from a stop while behind other cars. Keep in mind I didn't notice a problem before, but I have also had the car from new and doubtless adapted to the gradual changes.

Compared to how it was before though.... It is downright snappy now. N feels more like D used to from a stop, D is better yet. Don't use A except off road, sometimes. The difference is most noticable right at tip-in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Add a Madness GoPedal and experience the difference. HUGE!!!
A lot of folks do not recommend a pedal enhancer. I added one to my 2019 Stelvio and it took a bit to get it set but I love the responsiveness even in Advanced Eco Mode (or turtle mode). It does get rid of all the pedal lag. I have had it in my Stelvio for about three months now and only made one adjustment since. That was after my Squada Tune.
Mike

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A lot of folks do not recommend a pedal enhancer. I added one to my 2019 Stelvio and it took a bit to get it set but I love the responsiveness even in Advanced Eco Mode (or turtle mode). It does get rid of all the pedal lag. I have had it in my Stelvio for about three months now and only made one adjustment since. That was after my Squada Tune.
Mike
Quick questions: With your go pedal and eco mode, do you still save gas? Secondly, is it different than D mode when you're in A with go pedal? just curious to know if that's something I want.
thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quick questions: With your go pedal and eco mode, do you still save gas? Secondly, is it different than D mode when you're in A with go pedal? just curious to know if that's something I want.
thanks
"A" mode would still have engine torque management set to"on" so you won't get full power/boost. My understanding of GoPedal is it merely changes the rate of the throttle input signal, but doesn't effect power output.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mike
Why dont they recommend it? I hate how slow my Stelvio is off the start. I've almost gotten hit before because it was so slow until it kicks in and this is in D mode. it has 46k miles and spark plugs have been changed and all maintenance is up to date. Never thought of cleaning my MAF at this low of miles.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
378 Posts
As has been mentioned by other posters, simply mashing the pedal from a dead stop results in a very delayed throttle response. You either have to brake torque it or give it about 70% throttle max until it catches and then mash it. On a separate but related note, this also appears to happen when taking a sharp turn at speed, where if I try to floor out of the corner, it bogs down for a moment; has anyone else experienced this delay when coming out of sharp cornering?

·
Registered
238 Posts
On a separate but related note, this also appears to happen when taking a sharp turn at speed, where if I try to floor out of the corner, it bogs down for a moment; has anyone else experienced this delay when coming out of sharp cornering?
Yes, all the time in my Stelvio.
Very rarely in the '21 Giulia I had, in comparison.

I believe they changed the traction control programming between the car and suv to prevent people from doing stupid things in the suv which may lead to the suv laying down for a nap, and decided to just be very, very aggressive with the programming.

·
Registered
581 Posts
As has been mentioned by other posters, simply mashing the pedal from a dead stop results in a very delayed throttle response. You either have to brake torque it or give it about 70% throttle max until it catches and then mash it. On a separate but related note, this also appears to happen when taking a sharp turn at speed, where if I try to floor out of the corner, it bogs down for a moment; has anyone else experienced this delay when coming out of sharp cornering?
You're describing a basic characteristic of every boosted 2.0 engine on the market. It just takes some time for the turbo to spool up and develop enough boost to move the vehicle with authority.

Using a bit of brake torque for those times when you want to launch hard won't hurt anything at all.

Keep in mind a 2.0 liter engine is just 122 cubic inches. When asked to move around a 4,000 lb. SUV with an automatic transmission, you're never going to have the same off the line throttle response as a naturally aspirated engine with more displacement and the same power rating.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I think part of the reason it seems exaggerated with our cars is the tranny. Regardless of the programming it's a true automatic, slushbox.

Alot of the competition has dual clutches or true manuals...and the ability slip an actual clutch does ALOT to negate the delay of the turbo spooling off the line.

That said ... I love my transmission...and stand by the statements about my throttle feeling snappy now compared to how it did before cleaning my MAF.

(Also find it strange it needed it this soon but....it is a near 300hp 2 liter engine, it isn't a normal engine)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts