Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Tinting taillights should be illegal. Anything that reduces the brightness of the lights. That is precisely why the Mopar units keep the lighted area clear/enlarged. This is a foolish mod done incorrectly and does deserve a ticket. I live in a very foggy area and every lumen counts!!
I agree with all you said.
Still.. for me who deserve a ticket.. is "FCA" who don´t allowed costumer at factory order to add the "black" taillights as optional as any other when you order your car custom as I did.
It would not cost as I think it still cost.. about 800euros the pair.

:smile

Flavio

·
Registered
175 Posts
Count me in too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I purchased the dark / smoked taillights for my wife's Stelvio from Mopar Online Parts.

Scopeman posted instructions on removal / replacement in this thread: How to remove tail light?

The easiest of the four lights to start with is the outer / side light on the passenger side. Locate the access door to the rear fuse box on the interior side trunk trim and turn two releases to remove cover (picture). Once cover is removed, look for white spring nut (picture) and remove it (picture). Next, move to the exterior of car and slide the light toward the rear, the light slides on and off of two round mounts in the car's taillight recess: one on the top of the recess toward the rear and one on the side of the recess toward the front (picture). Once you have access to the wiring harness, pinch the upper portion of each of the short sides of the harness (picture) to release the tabs holding the two halves together and wiggle /pull the harness free. Once this is accomplished, the stock light is completely free from the car.

Attach the harness to the new light and slide the light in place, back onto the two round taillight recess mounting points. Move back to the car interior, reattach the screw nut and put the fuse box access door back into place and you are 25% done.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I purchased the dark / smoked taillights for my wife's Stelvio from Mopar Online Parts.

Scopeman posted instructions on removal / replacement in this thread: How to remove tail light?

The easiest of the four lights to start with is the outer / side light on the passenger side. Locate the access door to the rear fuse box on the interior side trunk trim and turn two releases to remove cover (picture). Once cover is removed, look for white spring nut (picture) and remove it (picture). Next, move to the exterior of car and slide the light toward the rear, the light slides on and off of two round mounts in the car's taillight recess: one on the top of the recess toward the rear and one on the side of the recess toward the front (picture). Once you have access to the wiring harness, pinch the upper portion of each of the short sides of the harness (picture) to release the tabs holding the two halves together and wiggle /pull the harness free. Once this is accomplished, the stock light is completely free from the car.

Attach the harness to the new light and slide the light in place, back onto the two round taillight recess mounting points. Move back to the car interior, reattach the screw nut and put the fuse box access door back into place and you are 25% done.
How'd you remove the drivers side interior trim panel to access the spring nut? Looks like a pain.

·
Registered
93 Posts
At this point the usual disclaimer: I have no qualifications that would allow me to tell anyone how to do anything. Proceed at own discretion as remaining steps carry some risk of misadventure.

Next, I turned my attention to the rear taillights. Access to them requires removing the rear trunk hatch trim panel. Before the trim panel can be removed from the car, two T20 torx screws must be removed, one in recess on either side of upper portion of panel (picture of one side). Next the trim piece over the trunk latch must be pulled free. The latch trim piece is held in by two metal clips, one on either side of the trim (picture). When my latch trim piece came off, the two metal pieces that hold the piece to the car stayed with the car and can be seen in the picture to either side of the bolts (which do not need to be messed with). I removed the metal pieces carefully with a pair of long nose pliers. Once I had the two metal pieces, the "wings" of each piece slide into grooves in the plastic trim piece (as can also be seen in the picture) and the trim piece was ready for reinstallation later.

Next, the trim piece needs to be pulled free using a trim removal tool or something similar. I'll attach three pictures of the rear of the trim piece. It is held in place by six green clips (three on each side), two metal clips (one on each side toward top of piece) and two tabs at the top corners (one on each side) which unfortunately I did not photograph. In the center of the piece is a black guide pin. Additionally, there is a small wiring harness on the bottom of the piece which attaches to the buttons controlling the lift gate. I did not photograph the harness but it is easily released by pushing on single retaining tab. The two tabs at the top corners which I did not photograph are important as they slide into a cutout on the adjacent upper trunk trim piece where the two trim pieces abut each other while the remaining connections just push into place. I would suggest having a helper as an extra set of hands is helpful and starting by freeing the bottom of the panel first and working your way up. Once have adequate access to wiring harness, disconnect it. Once you get to top of the piece, remember that the last two attachment points with the adjacent trim piece release with a sliding up motion rather than pulling straight out.

Once the trim piece is removed, you have access to both rear taillights. The rear taillights have a wiring harness which releases similar to the side harness release that I described and photographed in post above. Additionally, there is a metal 5/16 bolt and a plastic 5/16 bolt which is part of a plastic clamp which must both be removed. I'll attach a picture with these in place and a picture once they are removed as well as a picture of the plastic clamp, an extra of which comes with each rear taillight. Once the three attachment points are free, the rear taillight just pulls out. The replacements were a little finicky to slide back in, but there is a black guide pin to help you see where things need to be (picture with finger pointing to it). Once you have the new taillight properly positioned, attach the metal bolt and plastic clamp (picture). I suggest going back and forth: tightening the metal bolt partially and then the plastic bolt partially and so on until the plastic bolt is fully seated (make note of its position on stock taillight before remove it). If you try to tighten one and then the other completely, I think you run the risk of over stressing the plastic piece and breaking it. Last thing to do is reattach the taillight wiring harnesses and the rear taillights are now fully installed.

When replacing the rear trunk trim piece, I think two people are mandatory. Hold the trim piece so that you can reattach the wiring harness. Next, I suggest starting at the top and getting the two tabs (one on each side) that slide into cutout on overlapping trim piece into place (photo of overlap area). Once that is done, it is simply a matter of pressing the remaining attachment points into place, pushing the trunk release trim into place and replacing the two torx screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
As NM-QV suggests in post above, I was worried the driver side taillight might be difficult but it actually turned out to be pretty simple. The spring screw which holds the light in place is obviously in the same place as on the opposite side but behind a trim panel without an access door (picture). Thankfully it turns out that you do not need to remove the entire panel in order to gain access to the screw, I "borrowed" the photo of the completely free trim panel from the internet. Instead, you only need to gain access to the two attachment points shown along the top of the panel.

To gain access to the upper attachment points of the trim panel with the subwoofer grill, one must detach the rectangular trim panel with the driver's side rear seat release handle and trunk light located immediately above it. When you pull back the seat release handle, you will see a round cover. The round cover behind the handle has a hidden hinge projection on the back at 9 o'clock and a hidden part that holds it in place on the front at three o'clock (two pictures). Using a trim tool or small flathead screwdriver in the vicinity of 3 o'clock position will release the cover. Behind the cover is a T30 torx which must be removed (picture). Once the torx screw is out, a trim removal tool or your hands will release the seven white clips which hold the panel in place (picture). The cable running from the release handle to the actual seat release mechanism runs along the rear of the panel. To free up the panel a little more, pop the cable out of u shaped cutout that holds the cable just in front of ridged portion of the cable and pop the cable out of a second u shaped attachment point just behind cylindrical metal portion toward cable front (picture). There is no need to release the barrel shaped portion where the cable terminates but mine came free during the process so I'll attach a photo of how things fit together there: barrel fits in a cutout and wire goes through a channel below it.

All that being done, you will be able to see the two attachment points along thetas of the subwoofer panel that we are after, each secured by a plastic Christmas tree clip (pictures). Use a trim tool to pull out the christmas trees. I broke the first Christmas tree clip, I think because I put trim tool between trim panel and Christmas tree and used too much force. The second one came out easily by putting trim removal tool behind trim panel and being a little more careful. Everything goes back together just fine without the rear Christmas tree in place but I've ordered a few dozen replacements off Amazon for $5 shipped as I'm anal.

Once the two Christmas tree clips are out, you can easily pull back the top of the trim piece enough to see the spring clip (picture), slide a hand in (assuming your not Andre the Giant) and remove the spring clip (being very careful not to drop it).

Once you have the spring clip in hand, removal and replacement of the side taillight are as in my first post above.

Reverse the removal process to reassemble everything and job is done.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am very pleased with the look of the dark / smoked taillights on my wife's black car. If I had white or gray, I would probably go with them as well. On a red car, I would probably stick with stock. Other colors, I could probably go either way with a slight inclination toward the smoked / dark option.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts