Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poking around for additional internal space, I looked into the small compartment on the inside of the passenger side (USA) quarter panel and there is, as you can see below and tucked up under the fuse box, an orange electrical connector, that also as you can see, is unattached and I surmise there for some particular purpose.

Anyone have a clue? It appears to be a 6 pin connector.

My googling found nothing relevant...

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could it be the wiring loom for the (optional) AC mains outlet? I have the AC socket in on mine, and based on your photo, it's roughly in that position.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you have an AC power outlet near there? I'll have to get out my multimeter! (this afternoon)

Reactions: jttar

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just checked mine TiSport and I believe that Tilum is correct. Right below that door you have off and above the bin is an AC outlet for the air compressor. (115v/150w). The loom that is showing in your picture looks like it goes down behind the insulation to power the AC socket.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
So what you are saying is we can probably wire up our own socket there....

hehe...this could get fun...

I'm having visions of my Grandfather's 60-something T-Bird that didn't have A/C, so he cut a hole in the backseat through the trunk and installed a swamp cooler that blew into the interior...not kidding. As the youngest, on trips sometimes I would have to sit in the middle seat in back...it got really freaking cold....

Some awesome computer nerd needs to hook up a full on Windows or Apple PC in the back and run it it to the infortainment screen with a full keyboard and mouse setup....add a coffee machine and a small fridge for snacks...make a real mobile office.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I totally have never parked my kid in front of his iPad and fixed a customer running a cellphone tether on my laptop plugged into that plug.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you saying you have an AC power outlet near there? I'll have to get out my multimeter! (this afternoon)
I’ll go out a limb that you’re missing more than a connector.. I’m sure there is no inverter on the other end of that wire either. They almost always run all wires for options, not necessarily the actual option.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll go out a limb that you’re missing more than a connector.. I’m sure there is no inverter on the other end of that wire either. They almost always run all wires for options, not necessarily the actual option.
Yeah, I'm sure all the wiring is done before options are added. So you think the inverter would be installed somewhere in that area, which makes sense as to why I did not pick up an AC signal when I put an AC proximity tester near it last night while it was running. If I get time today, I'll test it for DC.

I'm assuming that if I connect the negative wire from my multimeter to the frame, and test the connector, that one of the "slots" should give me a DC signal.

Anyone have an idea about what DC voltage I should see - just 12 volts or so? Is the power when inverted derived from the amps (I assume)? I know AC, at least as much as to know that a 110 shock feels like a heck of a buzz, and 220 feels like somebody hit you in the head with a baseball bat; but I do not know so much about DC.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No voltage detected

Put a multimeter on it, and didn't get anything, but did see that there are only two green wires hooked up to it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’ll take a look at the next one I see, but I don’t really have a way to identify anything like that unless I can get a wiring diagram and trace the wire colours.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Put a multimeter on it, and didn't get anything, but did see that there are only two green wires hooked up to it.
Hi @TiSport, apologies for the delayed reply - I've only just seen that you'd responded to my post.
In answer to your question, yep, I have an AC power outlet in the boot (trunk) in that location. Mine's 230v, 50Hz, (as opposed to 115v), but that's because I'm in the UK where we typically use 240v AC outlets. I spec'd it when I ordered the car as it was only an £85 option, thinking that even if I just use it on the odd occasion, it'll be worth it. It also helps having options like these when coming to sell the car (not that I plan on selling the SQf for a long time, as I'm very happy with it).

Best of luck with the retrofit!

T

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
same thinking on ordering it as @Tilum - in addition to a air compressor, you could plug in a hair dryer to melt frozen mirrors, or a quality boombox for those who don't like the HK system, or a battery charger haha
@Tilum, was the new Clarkson Sunday Times review a continuation of his anti-suv rant, or actually positive as translated exerpts might indicate? inquiring minds want to know, but not enough to endure a free on-line subscription. it must be a topic with AR Club in the UK.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey @Tilum and @lost1750GTV - thanks for the follow up - when I call the shop today regarding my infotainment reboot issue, I''m gonna check on a retrofit; for sure an AC outlet has its advantages!

Grazie mille!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Guys, before we go and buy the plug for this, let’s remember that the connector (if it’s even for that) may not be live, it may just be there as part of the harness, but the other end is likely connected to nothing...just sayin.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking you are spot on - I could not get the needle to move at all when I attached the multimeter.

Reactions: jttar

·
Registered
130 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is the AC door the same door as shown below in the right rear quarter panel, or somewhere else? Do you see that feature listed on your window sticker, and if so, how is it listed?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
it came with the cargo net, which I do use.
to hold my hair dryer, air compressor, boom box, and portable welder in place haha
nice because it is very adjustable, so can also hold down small pets.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts