Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Would of already been stage 2 and on the dyno and track by now - but my City has been in a phenomenally strict lockdown for months so I made a little feature concerning some small annoyances, still love it so far.

Registered
2019 Stelvio Quad CCB
Driver, I think it is a big mistake to parrot what the other reviewers have said but you are certainly not alone in doing so.
I would certainly look forward to your ongoing untainted review and results with the Amazing machine! 馃憤

The cars have varying but overall pretty high current draw at rest.
It seems to depend on which of the Many brilliant brains are energized and running and that is Very demanding on a Battery. You didn't mention the name but most immediately blame and Trash Varta, (Parrots?) who likely build as good a battery as anyone. Yes it is an issue. I think we have yet to learn all of the battery details but perhaps you can help us.

Are you even aware that the battery was behind you as you pointed forward?
The Auto turn on feature of the radio can be turned off in your infotainment settings.

The turn signal functionality is perfect and I fail to see how any real Drivers don't get it. A light press gets you 3 flashes and that is perfect for passing Ferrari's and Porsche's on the interstate. DeMuro is 100% wrong on that but needed something to whine about.
As an owner you learn how it works and appreciate its helpful functionality. Same with a cruise control button where a ligh press gets you X and a harder press gets you XX.
As a reviewer like Demuro who drives ~50 different cars a year, you want it to work like you expect it to on your first drive? NO! Forget that idiotic mentality please.

I do agree that a launch mode would be great but Blow the Diff? Really? Why would you even say that?
Now the next 20 reviewers will be talking about all the blown Alfa diffs ! haha

The best 0-to 60 (100KM) occurs with a 27-2800 rpm launch which puts you well into the boost and mid to high 3's are not a problem at all. Your sub 3 goal will be VERY difficult.

Please don't take my post / criticism as negative as I am Very excited to have you on the Stelvio Team!

When I first drove a Stelvio on a test drive at the dealer I was confused/annoyed with how the turn signal worked. I commented to the salesman that it was going to take some getting used to.

Well, the next time I drove a Stelvio, my Stelvio, it didn't take long at all for the turn signal to become second nature.

Oh, and I'm one of the people that replaced the Varta battery as a preventive measure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Driver, I think it is a big mistake to parrot what the other reviewers have said but you are certainly not alone in doing so.
I would certainly look forward to your ongoing untainted review and results with the Amazing machine! 馃憤

The cars have varying but overall pretty high current draw at rest.
It seems to depend on which of the Many brilliant brains are energized and running and that is Very demanding on a Battery. You didn't mention the name but most immediately blame and Trash Varta, (Parrots?) who likely build as good a battery as anyone. Yes it is an issue. I think we have yet to learn all of the battery details but perhaps you can help us.

Are you even aware that the battery was behind you as you pointed forward?
The Auto turn on feature of the radio can be turned off in your infotainment settings.

The turn signal functionality is perfect and I fail to see how any real Drivers don't get it. A light press gets you 3 flashes and that is perfect for passing Ferrari's and Porsche's on the interstate. DeMuro is 100% wrong on that but needed something to whine about.
As an owner you learn how it works and appreciate its helpful functionality. Same with a cruise control button where a ligh press gets you X and a harder press gets you XX.
As a reviewer like Demuro who drives ~50 different cars a year, you want it to work like you expect it to on your first drive? NO! Forget that idiotic mentality please.

I do agree that a launch mode would be great but Blow the Diff? Really? Why would you even say that?
Now the next 20 reviewers will be talking about all the blown Alfa diffs ! haha

The best 0-to 60 (100KM) occurs with a 27-2800 rpm launch which puts you well into the boost and mid to high 3's are not a problem at all. Your sub 3 goal will be VERY difficult.

Please don't take my post / criticism as negative as I am Very excited to have you on the Stelvio Team!
-This is my ownership experience, I've done multiple other Vlogs on my Stelvio and dozens of other cars, if I don't like something it's not because others have said so.
-Good replacements have been mentioned here for the battery, it's a great forum
-Great i'll sort out the Radio!
-I still don't like the indicator functionality it's not bad, just not intuitive for me :)
-I launched it at 2.5k, I've seen a few other tests get 3.8-4 flat before, given better conditions I'm sure I can get it close to claim, Once Stage 2 will see how close I can get!

Registered
I drive mine daily (11500) since last November and not had any battery issues but think having it on a battery tender every now and again helps. Cruise never gives me any issues and find it intuitive, radio on on start up never bothered me. Launching holding brake is fine but yes having a launch control function would add to fun. But for me funnily enough it's not the operation of the indicators but the fact that they are quite quiet and dash board lights are a bit hidden, I sometimes fail to turn them off 馃檮

Registered
The issue with the Varta battery has less to do with it being a "Varta" and more to do with it being installed in Italy combined with slow sales resulting in the vehicle sitting for a long period...added to the current drai n the exists in all modern cars, killing the battery. It is less obvious with other makes due to them sitting for far less time.

Regardless many drivers dont have an issue. I don't, little over 2 years. Car sat for a week recently, started fine. Not that pre-emptivly changing the battery is a bad idea, it isn't. Just best to understand why. Isn't the brand. I've made knee jerk responses about Varta too.....but that's what that is.

As far as "blowing the diff"... you are really dealing with 2 diffs, the center diff gets the power first, normally sending it all directly to the rear. However when holding both the gas and brake before launch, the center diff is designed to allow overslip, and built accept 5000nm of torque. The quad puts out a little over 600nm so the diff can take the power. This is besides the system being designed with the best heat dissipation capabilities in the industry so things wont overheat while slipping.

ADDITIONALLY the way it works there is slip at the center diff and at the rear, besides the engine being held at low rpm so it is not putting out peak numbers.

Less risk of "blowing the diff" than of the launch control either timing out or failing on other cars.

Alfa doesn't need launch control. It's designed to be driven, not rode in.

(Not saying to launch the car all the time...saying doing it a few times or every so often isnt going to hurt anything. The mechanicals are built for it.)

Imagine how all those head-to-head comparo's would change if the reviewers were brake torquing the launches.

Registered
The issue with the Varta battery has less to do with it being a "Varta" and more to do with it being installed in Italy combined with slow sales resulting in the vehicle sitting for a long period...added to the current drai n the exists in all modern cars, killing the battery. It is less obvious with other makes due to them sitting for far less time.

Regardless many drivers dont have an issue. I don't, little over 2 years. Car sat for a week recently, started fine. Not that pre-emptivly changing the battery is a bad idea, it isn't. Just best to understand why. Isn't the brand. I've made knee jerk responses about Varta too.....but that's what that is.
My car is now a little over 3 years old, and still on the original battery without problems, so it's possible ;). I do have a remote battery monitor to keep an eye on it , in general battery charge is still ok after having been parked 3~4 weeks.... ;)
battery monitor

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

As far as "blowing the diff"... you are really dealing with 2 diffs, the center diff gets the power first, normally sending it all directly to the rear. However when holding both the gas and brake before launch, the center diff is designed to allow overslip, and built accept 5000nm of torque. The quad puts out a little over 600nm so the diff can take the power. This is besides the system being designed with the best heat dissipation capabilities in the industry so things wont overheat while slipping.

ADDITIONALLY the way it works there is slip at the center diff and at the rear, besides the engine being held at low rpm so it is not putting out peak numbers.

Less risk of "blowing the diff" than of the launch control either timing out or failing on other cars.

Alfa doesn't need launch control. It's designed to be driven, not rode in.

(Not saying to launch the car all the time...saying doing it a few times or every so often isnt going to hurt anything. The mechanicals are built for it.)

Imagine how all those head-to-head comparo's would change if the reviewers were brake torquing the launches.
Keep in mind I have a sarcastic sense of humour and am not really too concerned re stock just thinking when I eventually have near 800nm I've seen some people do dmg with tc Autos in Audis without LC.

I really appreciate all the helpful info and feedback for this one thank you guys :)

Registered
mistake to parrot what the other reviewers have said
The turn signal functionality is perfect and I fail to see how any real Drivers don't get it
I didn't at all think any "parroting" occurred, just personal impressions of the vehicle. I personally thought the above comments somewhat mean spirited (real drivers ha!).
Thanks to Driver for substantive video contributions to the forum and hope you keep them coming.

Registered
I've owned alot of VAG products. Until the Alfa they were my favorite brand.

Great cars, very tunable.

Audi has never built anything like an Alfa though. Like I said, Alfa doesn't need Launch Control. What I didnt say is the competition does because without it they break.

Audi's never been what you would call "overbuilt". Family owned a B5 generation A4 and A6 circa 2000, arguably the strongest built Audi's ever. They were still more fragile than this Alfa is. Actually in terms of biuld quality my B5 Passat was stronger than either Audi. Just because of the dual firewall. Better structural integrity and less body flex...from the VW.

Audi's engineering prowess has less to do with making things strong and more to do with phenominal packaging and compensation for sub-optimal design requirments that allow for nose-heavy, essentially FWD cars to handle better than physics says they should.

I get a sense of humour.

Regardless if you are going to review vehicles you should actually know what is happening mechanically before talking about breaking things. Plenty of people out there spouting false or misleading info trying to be funny. Crowded market.

Registered
2019 Stelvio Quad CCB
-This is my ownership experience, I've done multiple other Vlogs on my Stelvio and dozens of other cars, if I don't like something it's not because others have said so.
-I still don't like the indicator functionality it's not bad, just not intuitive for me :)
I am well aware as you and I have interacted on your youtube video comments a few times in the past Month.
All the more reason that you should be held to a higher standard as an influencer with many followers.

How would you prefer the turn signal stalk to function?

Now that you have found your battery I am looking forward to your performance enhancements ;)

Registered
My car is now a little over 3 years old, and still on the original battery without problems, so it's possible ;). I do have a remote battery monitor to keep an eye on it , in general battery charge is still ok after having been parked 3~4 weeks.... ;)
battery monitor
Wow,4 weeks without driving and starting the vehicle? And this is with EFB Varta, not AGM ? Thats make me think, that mostly the cars on the US market are with battery problems, because of sitting too much before getting to customers.Much less people are complaining here in EU.I was about to put the AGM immediately in the place of the original, but now.....? Already have the CTEK MXS 10 and maybe will install the permanent eyelet, with the power indicator, just to monitor the condition and charge ,if not driven for longer periods?

Registered
Wow,4 weeks without driving and starting the vehicle? And this is with EFB Varta, not AGM ? Thats make me think, that mostly the cars on the US market are with battery problems, because of sitting too much before getting to customers.Much less people are complaining here in EU.I was about to put the AGM immediately in the place of the original, but now.....? Already have the CTEK MXS 10 and maybe will install the permanent eyelet, with the power indicator, just to monitor the condition and charge ,if not driven for longer periods?
yeah, speaking to my dealer here in The Netherlands, he also has not seen many (any?) failed batteries so far......
I also have a charger, and if I don't drive the car much (like in the current Corona times), I just charge it every 3 or 4 weeks, just to keep it charged.
I have a Gysflash 7 Amp charger, comparable to CTEK, see Gysflash .

I know that during the shipping/transport of the car, the electronics are placed in a low power logistics mode by the factory......

Attachments

After I first heard about Stelvos I found this forum and started researching. One topic was about dead batteries. Then when I first went to a dealer I saw that they had battery maintainers for every Alfa in the showroom. I don't know what they do about the cars outside.

Registered
I've owned alot of VAG products. Until the Alfa they were my favorite brand.

Great cars, very tunable.

Audi has never built anything like an Alfa though. Like I said, Alfa doesn't need Launch Control. What I didnt say is the competition does because without it they break.

Audi's never been what you would call "overbuilt". Family owned a B5 generation A4 and A6 circa 2000, arguably the strongest built Audi's ever. They were still more fragile than this Alfa is. Actually in terms of biuld quality my B5 Passat was stronger than either Audi. Just because of the dual firewall. Better structural integrity and less body flex...from the VW.

Audi's engineering prowess has less to do with making things strong and more to do with phenominal packaging and compensation for sub-optimal design requirments that allow for nose-heavy, essentially FWD cars to handle better than physics says they should.

I get a sense of humour.

Regardless if you are going to review vehicles you should actually know what is happening mechanically before talking about breaking things. Plenty of people out there spouting false or misleading info trying to be funny. Crowded market.

There are many audi models that are massively overbuilt. Theyre not like the old m3 that would need chassis welding so the rear subframes wouidnt rip out on the track lol.

The b5 s4 could routinely handle twice the oem hp and torque with no bottom end changes and on the stock tranny.

The b8 s4 and s5 are even more stout and reliable and routinely push 550hp and high 10 second quarter miles on completely stock dsg parts that are only rated to lije 400hp lol and completely stock engine internals. Ive had 12 audis and rotinely doubled their hp and torque. Thats with the stock supercharger being OVERdriven to 24k RPM!!!

Ive tracked one 11.0 second b8 s4 and two 11 second s5 cars and never had a hiccup on a 333hp car making 550hp. I probably have 200-400 launches on each and hundreds of road course miles.

Launch control is VERY hard on the drivetrain btw. Much harder than brake torqueing (with the exception of the tc)

Theres a ton of s6 guys with the dsg thats rated for like 500tq who have bolted rs7 turbos on their cars and tuned them to 800tq with drag slicks and ive literally never seen an engine or trans failure on them while they run low 10s at 135mph.

I had a big turbo b8 a4 and a big turbo b6 a4. Never touched the engine internals. All i had to do was a clutch upgrade.

There's a bunch of stock engine rs3 cars running 9s in the quarter which is hypercar killing territory. Sure when those do 1000hp packages they need pistons and rods.

These cars are TOUGH...

This one started out as a 333hp car that ran mid 13s stock. It has had zero strengthening mods...

Registered
Audi's are massively tunable. No argument. Definitly tough. Not the same as overbuilt though. Also we are talking about the drivetrain, not engine tuning. They are related but not the same.

I have bashed my center diff directly on boulders leaving a half inch chunk taken out of the housing, full weight of the car came down on the differential. I misjudged the rollover and bashed that sucker good, then dragged it over the top....this is after literally jumping the entier vehicle a couple feet. All 4 wheels off the ground, front came down first, then the rear, rear bounced when it hit and the car went sideways. Super scary and stupid of me...I didn't respond well to my Mothers death. Reckless for a while there.

Regardless the vehicle still drives perfect, the alignment didnt even come out of adjustment. Both the jump and the bash happened over 15k miles ago. Try that in any other luxury SUV. Or don't...it made me sick...dont hurt your car..dont be reckless.

Audi's are great cars. Strong.

Alfas are better in many ways. More than strong, overbuilt. Shockingly overbiult mechanically. Like I have said before...eventually someone will mod a 4cyl to be faster than a quad. Then someone else will get a quad running with Teslas. No one will have drivetrain or chassis problems.

Give it time. Had the same arguments on Vortex in 99/2k when everyone said the B5 wasn't anything special, only Japanese cars and big american V8's could handle those types of tunes......

Not insulting Audi. Saying however good Audi is, and it is good - very good, Alfa Romeo is a better designed and built vehicle in terms of mechanical strength.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I just randomly got the best built Alfa ever to touch the earth. We'll see as reliabilty stats come in and the tuner industry starts going crazy. Going to be fun to see no matter what.

Registered
Good review, and contstructive comments by everyone , good stuff, how it should be! My observations (not really a criticism) is that the throttle feels floaty and not connected to my foot , I appreciate it is not cable operated but there is disconnect there. I ride /race a couple of Ducati, a V4 and 1299R .... 230 and 210 hp and well under 200kg . Motorcyclists are really sensitive to things like power delivery , throttle input and brake feel, so maybe im a bit critical of my QV in this respect .
3.8 sec 0-100 feels a bit unwhelming to me , but the Alfa is 10X the weight of the bikes . And.... the QV accelerates hard effortlessly it belies the speed it's achieving .
Brakes.... they are powerful , no doubt there, but they are inconsistent with feel and modulation. Sometimes its like whoa these are really biting more than i wanted, other times its like , i need to push deeper than i was anticipating ? Still theyre pretty good i'm guessing its pad material and temperature that give different feel at different times. I dont know what boost assist is involved here either.
I have a Seletron chip, air filter and Go Fast diverter valves fitted to my car which really wakens the engine, more power and less lag. I had to have a fiddle ! It actually feels torquier and more responsive in D than it does in R now.
Nobody mentioned the aura that the V6 produces in the cabin even at idle, light acceleration and the way it ups through the gears is addictive.
Tire and wind noise I hadnt noticed, damn im going to be listening for that now !

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Good review, and contstructive comments by everyone , good stuff, how it should be! My observations (not really a criticism) is that the throttle feels floaty and not connected to my foot , I appreciate it is not cable operated but there is disconnect there. I ride /race a couple of Ducati, a V4 and 1299R .... 230 and 210 hp and well under 200kg . Motorcyclists are really sensitive to things like power delivery , throttle input and brake feel, so maybe im a bit critical of my QV in this respect .
3.8 sec 0-100 feels a bit unwhelming to me , but the Alfa is 10X the weight of the bikes . And.... the QV accelerates hard effortlessly it belies the speed it's achieving .
Brakes.... they are powerful , no doubt there, but they are inconsistent with feel and modulation. Sometimes its like whoa these are really biting more than i wanted, other times its like , i need to push deeper than i was anticipating ? Still theyre pretty good i'm guessing its pad material and temperature that give different feel at different times. I dont know what boost assist is involved here either.
I have a Seletron chip, air filter and Go Fast diverter valves fitted to my car which really wakens the engine, more power and less lag. I had to have a fiddle ! It actually feels torquier and more responsive in D than it does in R now.
Nobody mentioned the aura that the V6 produces in the cabin even at idle, light acceleration and the way it ups through the gears is addictive.
Tire and wind noise I hadnt noticed, damn im going to be listening for that now !
Feel the same regarding throttle inputs particularly in R. I'm pretty sure I read a tuner has increased pedal travel till you get full torque purely for better progression, have you tried timing a launch with your chip and parts?

Registered
Feel the same regarding throttle inputs particularly in R. I'm pretty sure I read a tuner has increased pedal travel till you get full torque purely for better progression, have you tried timing a launch with your chip and parts?
there's a whole bunch of add-on throttle mapping boxes out there, also a tuner can remap input/output mapping of the throttle
see for example
pedal tuner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts