Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Feel the same regarding throttle inputs particularly in R. I'm pretty sure I read a tuner has increased pedal travel till you get full torque purely for better progression, have you tried timing a launch with your chip and parts?
No I havent timed it yet, what did you use in your review to time

Registered
After I first heard about Stelvos I found this forum and started researching. One topic was about dead batteries. Then when I first went to a dealer I saw that they had battery maintainers for every Alfa in the showroom. I don't know what they do about the cars outside.
The dealers that I worked in started using maintainers circa 2002 on the vehicles in the showroom because of all of the door opening and key 鈥渙n鈥 instances. These cars never got driven until they were rotated out of the showroom, so there was no chance to charge the batteries with the vehicles鈥 charging system.

Registered
After I first heard about Stelvos I found this forum and started researching. One topic was about dead batteries. Then when I first went to a dealer I saw that they had battery maintainers for every Alfa in the showroom. I don't know what they do about the cars outside.

Registered
Would of already been stage 2 and on the dyno and track by now - but my City has been in a phenomenally strict lockdown for months so I made a little feature concerning some small annoyances, still love it so far.
I saw several reviews complaining about wind noise but I'm at my 2nd Stelvio coming from a Merceds S class (that is super silent) and frankly I don't see the problem. May be is me getting deaf but I can hear the engine and that is what I love in my QV

Registered
The issue with the Varta battery has less to do with it being a "Varta" and more to do with it being installed in Italy combined with slow sales resulting in the vehicle sitting for a long period...added to the current drai n the exists in all modern cars, killing the battery. It is less obvious with other makes due to them sitting for far less time.
There is something with the battery though, I'm in pretty much all the Italian forums and they have the problem there as well although not as many as here (but the Stelvio is always their primary car and they drive a lot everyday). Many guys I read on the Forums ended up changing the battery with one having a better quality and all the problems are gone. They also told me that problems are more frequent on the smaller engines since the Stelvio QV has a slightly bigger battery

Registered
The problem isnt the battery. It's the algorithms used for "smart" charging.

Essentially the charging system only directs power to recharge the battery in certain circumstances. Not all the time like a traditional system. It seems like what the smart system looks for is low rpm. At low rpm it charges the battery, at high rpm (for efficency) it directs all the power to the engine.

If you drive around, at high rpm all the time....which is pretty common given how fun that is to do....you basically never charge the battery and have problems.

If instead you drive around below 3000 rpm for the first 3-4 minutes of driving...no battery problems. Because below 3k rpm the car charges the battery. Above that, not so much. I am both simplifying the algorithm and generalizing about battery problem. There are always exceptions due to defective equipment. In general though....

Use a faraday cage so the key doesnt stay in communication with the car and drive at low rpm for the first few minutes, and most people have 0 battery issues. Not just Alfa. All new cars...or alot of them at least.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Whilst I wait to Tune the QV next week and get it on the Dyno I got to Film a few V12 related Cousins in the same garage

21 - 29 of 29 Posts