Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know I've been pretty critical about some of the electronics shortfalls that really annoy the **** out of me so I wanted to post something positive today.

I took a road trip over the weekend with my dog to go visit some friends in the central valley of California. This allowed me to really spend some good time with the vehicle while driving at my own pace (none of the awful stop and go BS that I get stuck in every single day in West Los Angeles). Not only was I able to drive through some nice twisty roads but I also spent some time driving along some pretty boring stretches with not much to look at but farmland while driving perfectly straight for miles upon miles. I figured, you know what, now would be a good time to actually test out the cruise control (I don't normally use it much). Low and behold, not only does the cruise control work (as it should) but it actually allows you to specify the exact speed you want to set it at. Right underneath the cruise control symbol on the dash, it actually shows the set speed and you can even adjust it in small increments +/- 1mph. Out of all the prior vehicles I've owned, this is a first for me. It's little things like this that can make me happy and even though it's such a small thing, good job Alfa!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good to hear!

That function is available in most of the modern cars though.

Hey guys, I know I've been pretty critical about some of the electronics shortfalls that really annoy the **** out of me so I wanted to post something positive today.

I took a road trip over the weekend with my dog to go visit some friends in the central valley of California. This allowed me to really spend some good time with the vehicle while driving at my own pace (none of the awful stop and go BS that I get stuck in every single day in West Los Angeles). Not only was I able to drive through some nice twisty roads but I also spent some time driving along some pretty boring stretches with not much to look at but farmland while driving perfectly straight for miles upon miles. I figured, you know what, now would be a good time to actually test out the cruise control (I don't normally use it much). Low and behold, not only does the cruise control work (as it should) but it actually allows you to specify the exact speed you want to set it at. Right underneath the cruise control symbol on the dash, it actually shows the set speed and you can even adjust it in small increments +/- 1mph. Out of all the prior vehicles I've owned, this is a first for me. It's little things like this that can make me happy and even though it's such a small thing, good job Alfa!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear!

That function is available in most of the modern cars though.
I know the actual cruise control function is in every car, I just haven't seen where it actually displays the speed the cruise control is set at, I mean besides the actual speedometer. Maybe it's a European thing that I just haven't noticed? Most of my previous cars were Japanese and none had it. It was just nice because if you have to cancel the cruise for whatever reason, you can see what you previously had it set at before you hit resume. It's nice if you have to pull off to grab coffee in a drive through and maybe you forgot what it was set at (I know I can be forgetful) or if you have to slow down in a construction zone or something. I also found it useful because sometimes you hit set but you might be off by a mph or two because you set it going up/down a hill. It was just nice to have visual confirmation of what it was set at. That's it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it is pretty common now.

My 2015 Nissan has it...ie you set a specific speed that is shown on the digital display between the Tach and the Speedometer... I think it is pretty common now.

I know the actual cruise control function is in every car, I just haven't seen where it actually displays the speed the cruise control is set at, I mean besides the actual speedometer. Maybe it's a European thing that I just haven't noticed? Most of my previous cars were Japanese and none had it. It was just nice because if you have to cancel the cruise for whatever reason, you can see what you previously had it set at before you hit resume. It's nice if you have to pull off to grab coffee in a drive through and maybe you forgot what it was set at (I know I can be forgetful) or if you have to slow down in a construction zone or something. I also found it useful because sometimes you hit set but you might be off by a mph or two because you set it going up/down a hill. It was just nice to have visual confirmation of what it was set at. That's it.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
The setting displays when the CC icon turns green and indexes up/down using the flip switch on the left hand spoke of the steering wheel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2015 Nissan has it...ie you set a specific speed that is shown on the digital display between the Tach and the Speedometer... I think it is pretty common now.
Crazy, maybe I've just never noticed it before in other vehicles.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's definitely nice to have a more exact speed setting. did you encounter any traffic and have the cruise adapt it's speed?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Crazy, maybe I've just never noticed it before in other vehicles.
My loaded 2012 Optima certainly didn’t, nor does the wife’s 2015 Focus ST nor my father’s 2014 SS. It might be more common, but I find it a nice touch.

The optical clarity of the mirrors is also great and the little heartbeat Easter egg when you get in is pretty cool once you notice it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have lived by cruise on highways and basically anywhere I drive steady state since I got my license 40yrs+ ago. Keeps you from getting tickets. Gives you the best gas mileage possible (short of those **** hypermilers) **** on my twisties where 75 is the real fun zone but 65 is all that is logical, I leave it on and never use the brakes. it makes you a better driver by having to make smooth inputs instead of gassing out of corners to hide all the other things you did wrong. Its like driving a Spec Miata on public roads!
BTW our speedos are within 1mph accuracy with the 235/55R19's and I suspect seen as all other spec'd tires are within like .2 of each other, no major discrepancies. Once you settle into the wicked quick steering, she rolls out miles REALLY well esp with those comfy sport seats if you fit in them. I admit my bolsters are as wide as possible hehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts