Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember replying to the “1st oil change” thread about the exhaust being too far away from the tips, causing the soot on the tips as seemingly all Stelvios have, but I was mistaken, the exhaust is too CLOSE to the tips, not too far. I was looking into it a bit today cuz it really bugs me, and it appears if you can cut 1.5” or so off the actual exhaust it should cure this issue...now, this won’t be easy and you’ll need a Dremel with a cutoff wheel or another good cutoff tool to accomplish it. But, once the exhaust is back farther it should cure the issue; if you look close at the tip, you’ll see it has a large chrome end but towards the front it opens up, so it should stop the soot from getting on the chrome finished end.
Anyways, I don’t have one and I’m not about to do it to a new car, so this is just an FYI.

Also it would be nice to find some tailpipe extensions (even 1-2") to force the exhaust out farther towards the exit of the tube. Tossed and turned an hour or so last night thinking about how to accomplish that...
This quote is the reason for this thread, I didn’t want to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Use a good metal polish early on .....Right away....and then you'll find that the "soot" washes off real easy....it has so far with ours.....D

Reactions: tipo949

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I have had good luck with Bleche White and also some wheel cleaner spray I had however there is a stubborn stain inside at the bottom. Any ideas on that? Chrome Polish and then coat it with what, Alfaholico? Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I used Meguire's Metal polish....clean microfiber to apply....second clean microfiber to remove...watch the black plastic around the exhaust tips....may be difficult to remove the polishing paste if it gets on that..

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Thanks guys- The bigger problem I am experiencing is every time I get Stella all poofed and polished, we have a spate of crappy weather and the effort seems to invite it. Muddy salt-slop encrusted shoes, etc only make it worse. Now we are entering pollen season + squishy spring bugs smearing all over her. I am wondering if possibly FCA will be able to address this unfortunate situation? Maybe there's a way to enshrine her in bubble wrap or a protective dome to make the joy of perfection last?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just washed the car and she is looking sweet! As far as the exhaust tips I bought a chrome cleaner and they came out amazing and it was super easy. Check out the before and after pics. They are so clean you may see my reflection in the chrome tips. Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just washed the car and she is looking sweet! As far as the exhaust tips I bought a chrome cleaner and they came out amazing and it was super easy. Check out the before and after pics. They are so clean you may see my reflection in the chrome tips. Lol.
Does the soot come back as easily after the polish?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm curious what the results would be if you used a ceramic coating like is used to protect the paint, something like c-quartz or such. Would that keep it from staining?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does the soot come back as easily after the polish?
24 hours later and after driving about 25 miles...the bottom part of the tips looked a little dirty again. A wet paper towel took it right off but this seems like an ongoing thing for us.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think using a metal polish will make the clean up easier....the soot will still accumulate....D

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Its a car, not an ornamet\nt. That meand you were having fun. Its like black rubber marks from a track day....its all good

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Guys + JustAlfa- thanks + will try Mothers. Balance between enjoyment + enjoying the pristine beauty.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
BTW Collinite products are fabulous. I use nothing but Insulator Wax as my finish coat on everything for past 25 yrs. Bulletproof for a year if you choose. 1 bottle does 20 vehicles. The key is less is more!! already improved the lousy delivery prep with a coat today.. Will do a full detail before winter,. Except for track car noting needs to be done more than twice a year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts