Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual recommends replacement of spark plugs and auxiliary belts every 36,000 miles. That seems to be very lame!

My previous cars mostly require spark plugs change every 100,000 miles and rarely mention the auxiliary belts at all.

Is the short interval on spark plugs mainly due to direct injection? How about the auxiliary belts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The manual recommends replacement of spark plugs and auxiliary belts every 36,000 miles. That seems to be very lame!

My previous cars mostly require spark plugs change every 100,000 miles and rarely mention the auxiliary belts at all.

Is the short interval on spark plugs mainly due to direct injection? How about the auxiliary belts?
They may be copper core spark plugs and if that's the case that is about normal for that type of spark plug.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The plugs are most likely iridium, which hates fuel, let me tell you, lol. If they get fuel soaked they don’t recover well, I’d say that’s why they want them changed so often.
Can’t say about the belt, haven’t done one yet.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
THanks for pointing out a young in life weekend project. Pros and cons of DI. Worst thing you can do to DI motors is baby them. That just accelerates the rate of carbon deposition drastically. Probably the biggest issue with this motor type. Good to hammer them hot and hard periodically, not that any of us don't already do this hehe

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
"weekend project"
time is money, and that's a fact.
I'm not sure how long this job takes most people or a shop, but if it's a weekend project that's a lot of money at what your rates must be.
I'd rather drive three hundred miles each way each day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
MOPAR preventive maintenance part numbers as well as instructions for oil & belt change in DIY section of this Forum. And yes, I agree the maintenance intervals are much lower miles and/or time than mist other automobiles. Interesting to note that the Alfa 2.0 liter turbo is also being installed in Jeep brand Cherokee and Wranglers (albeit at more conservative ratings). The Jeep maintenance intervals are much more aligned with other modern vehicles.....just saying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts