Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone has any data/thoughts/opinions on how the two compare? is it just higher spring ratios/more dampening? or perhaps just fancier shocks, thicker sways?
Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Without actually taking both apart I couldn’t say for certain but I did test drive both a Ti and Ti Sport. Looking at them next to each other on the lot the Sport is slightly lower (maybe 1.5 or 2 inches) and they drive a little bit differently. The Sport is noticeably stiffer. The regular Ti corners fine, the Sport is just a flatter cornering vehicle. It’s not a huge difference, but it is notable. At a guess the Sport has thicker sway bars and less suspension travel.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
I have tested on Nurburgring the standard suspension, great feeling and super stability, I cannot immagine an active solution

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Hi,

Anyone has any data/thoughts/opinions on how the two compare? is it just higher spring ratios/more dampening? or perhaps just fancier shocks, thicker sways?
Thanks!
regular = good / better than you have any right to expect
sport = unknown (I haven't seen anyone report receiving theirs with it yet), but probably more amazing yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Say what?

I have tested on Nurburgring the standard suspension, great feeling and super stability, I cannot immagine an active solution
I'm not talking about the adaptive solution, just what you get on the sport package. I think you're thinking about the performance package? which i understand to be adjustable, not active?

regular = good / better than you have any right to expect
sport = unknown (I haven't seen anyone report receiving theirs with it yet), but probably more amazing yet.
Most of them have the sport tuned susp, are you also thinking performance package?

Am i confused?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So on at least one dealer's site it states:

Sport Tuned Front Dampers

which is slightly more descriptive than the 'Sport–Tuned Suspension ' noted in the stickers. So probably sharper fronts for turn-in feeling?
That said the AR site clearly states appearance package (though i would contend the paddles are more than just appearance) and makes no mention of suspension changes. So it's basically $1500 for paddles and some colored bits, not sure i want those paddles bad enough lol. It looks like for the same price we could get the pano roof instead of the paddles. Hmmm....

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Sport has a Frequency Selective Damping Suspension to allow the shock to adjust its damping based on the road surface.

This is how FCA described the shock differences to the dealers. This was translated from Italian by Google.

Alfa Romeo Stelvio Alfa Dynamic Suspension vs. Alfa Active Suspension

Dear Sellers, below you will find the explanation of the Alfa Dynamic Suspension systems (already available on Stelvio) and Alfa Active Suspension (soon available on Stelvio) so that you can adequately illustrate customers in explanation phase of the product.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension
This is a system that, thanks to the use of Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) technology, improves handling and road holding even in non-optimal road surface conditions, all to the advantage of driving comfort. During the normal running of a vehicle, a shock absorber moves in compression and in extension thousands of times the stresses from which a shock absorber is affected have frequencies of various entities: in particular, flat surfaces generate low frequency inputs, while disconnected roads generate input high frequency. Alfa Dynamic Suspension, thanks to a special additional valve that regulates the flow of oil according to road conditions, is able to vary the response of the shock to the advantage of comfort and road holding.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension needs to feel the variation of roughness of the road surface to be able to adapt in a completely mechanical (and hydraulic) damping of the shock absorber; it is not governed by electronic controls and does not interact with Chassis Domain Control.

Alfa Active Suspension is an active and continuous suspension and shock absorber control system that reduces vehicle body oscillations in all driving conditions. He constantly interacts with the CDC and the Alfa DNA Pro and "calibrates his intervention according to the selected mode ..
Page 2
A solenoid valve modifies the hydraulic flow inside the shock, modifying the suspension damping characteristics. The solonoids are managed by the control unit on the basis of control algorithms. The goal is to reduce the fluctuations of the car body in all conditions to the advantage of comfort and handling Alfa Active Suspension will be available during the month of November 2017

If you want to read more of the technical details of a FSD suspension, this is a good article:
Koni - What Is Frequency Selective Damping?

·
Registered
250 Posts
@CalgaryStelvio you are very helpful with your information, particularly for someone who doesn't own one yet. I appreciate your inputs as they have indirectly answered some of my own questions.
Are you getting info from dealers or your own reading sources that you can point me to? Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
@CalgaryStelvio you are very helpful with your information, particularly for someone who doesn't own one yet. I appreciate your inputs as they have indirectly answered some of my own questions.
Are you getting info from dealers or your own reading sources that you can point me to? Thanks
Thanks, I appreciate it. I like to fully research things before I purchase so it's just been a matter of discussion with the other forum members (and suspension argument with SailDrive, lol) and Google that we've been piecing information together as a community. The dealers and Alfa directly haven't been overly helpful.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it. I like to fully research things before I purchase so it's just been a matter of discussion with the other forum members (and suspension argument with SailDrive, lol) and Google that we've been piecing information together as a community. The dealers and Alfa directly haven't been overly helpful.
Me too and based on how the climate of this forum is turning I'd rather research myself than ask here :smile
Thanks

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I'm not talking about the adaptive solution, just what you get on the sport package. I think you're thinking about the performance package? which i understand to be adjustable, not active?

Am i confused?
Sorry, I thought you were asking about the active suspension.

I've driven with and without the sport tuned suspension option, without the ride is more relaxed and softer, car exhibits a little understeer when cornering, ride quality is emphasized over performance (though it still performs well), sport tuned suspension exhibits a much more neutral wheel when cornering, no understeer, no oversteer, and rides flatter and powers out of the corner smoother. ride quality suffers a little as it's a bit rougher and harsher.

disclaimer, it's hard to attribute all of the effects to the suspension, as there are also differences in the wheel / tire size that factor into the handling and can have the same effect on cornering, so it's impossible to tell what % of impact in each case was attributed to tires vs what % is the suspension. Either way the net result is as described.

If you value performance and handling more, go for the Ti Sport, if you value comfort more go for the base. Note the sport seats are (I think) still only available on the Ti Sport. Personally, as a very average / normal sized person I didn't like the standard seats that much as they lacked the adjustability to make me feel like I was secure in them, and the sport seats hold me in just the right way.

Reactions: CalgaryStelvio

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Sport has a Frequency Selective Damping Suspension to allow the shock to adjust its damping based on the road surface.

This is how FCA described the shock differences to the dealers. This was translated from Italian by Google.

Alfa Romeo Stelvio Alfa Dynamic Suspension vs. Alfa Active Suspension

Dear Sellers, below you will find the explanation of the Alfa Dynamic Suspension systems (already available on Stelvio) and Alfa Active Suspension (soon available on Stelvio) so that you can adequately illustrate customers in explanation phase of the product.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension
This is a system that, thanks to the use of Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) technology, improves handling and road holding even in non-optimal road surface conditions, all to the advantage of driving comfort. During the normal running of a vehicle, a shock absorber moves in compression and in extension thousands of times the stresses from which a shock absorber is affected have frequencies of various entities: in particular, flat surfaces generate low frequency inputs, while disconnected roads generate input high frequency. Alfa Dynamic Suspension, thanks to a special additional valve that regulates the flow of oil according to road conditions, is able to vary the response of the shock to the advantage of comfort and road holding.

Alfa Dynamic Suspension needs to feel the variation of roughness of the road surface to be able to adapt in a completely mechanical (and hydraulic) damping of the shock absorber; it is not governed by electronic controls and does not interact with Chassis Domain Control.

Alfa Active Suspension is an active and continuous suspension and shock absorber control system that reduces vehicle body oscillations in all driving conditions. He constantly interacts with the CDC and the Alfa DNA Pro and "calibrates his intervention according to the selected mode ..
Page 2
A solenoid valve modifies the hydraulic flow inside the shock, modifying the suspension damping characteristics. The solonoids are managed by the control unit on the basis of control algorithms. The goal is to reduce the fluctuations of the car body in all conditions to the advantage of comfort and handling Alfa Active Suspension will be available during the month of November 2017

If you want to read more of the technical details of a FSD suspension, this is a good article:
Koni - What Is Frequency Selective Damping?
Wow! great info, thanks. So, is this saying the dynamic suspension is what comes with the sport package? or that every Stelvio has the FSD stuff?

Agree, one of the people i'm talking to in a dealership told me that 'the base w/sport is just appearance whereas ti sport has the performance package'. Which made no sense to me, so i asked her for a link to the Stelvio she was referring to and asked if she was confusing it with a Giulia. She replies back with a link to a Giulia lol. She then called and apologized quite a bit, which i felt wasn't necessary.

Sorry, I thought you were asking about the active suspension.

I've driven with and without the sport tuned suspension option, without the ride is more relaxed and softer, car exhibits a little understeer when cornering, ride quality is emphasized over performance (though it still performs well), sport tuned suspension exhibits a much more neutral wheel when cornering, no understeer, no oversteer, and rides flatter and powers out of the corner smoother. ride quality suffers a little as it's a bit rougher and harsher.

disclaimer, it's hard to attribute all of the effects to the suspension, as there are also differences in the wheel / tire size that factor into the handling and can have the same effect on cornering, so it's impossible to tell what % of impact in each case was attributed to tires vs what % is the suspension. Either way the net result is as described.

If you value performance and handling more, go for the Ti Sport, if you value comfort more go for the base. Note the sport seats are (I think) still only available on the Ti Sport. Personally, as a very average / normal sized person I didn't like the standard seats that much as they lacked the adjustability to make me feel like I was secure in them, and the sport seats hold me in just the right way.
Thanks, this helps quite a bit. Think we'll test both and go from there then

·
Registered
534 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts