Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has information on whether production in Alpha Romeo's factories in Italy has been affected by the coronavirus situation. I special ordered a 2020 Stelvio for when my lease expires in August, but I am concerned that it will not arrive on time if the factories are shut down. Of course, the much bigger concern is for the health and safety of the Italian people. But it would be good to know if I should plan on the 2020 Stelvio not arriving by August.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alfa has enough free capacities because sales are down, production each month or two pauses for few weeks. Regarding corona virus it is just panic which is widely spread by medias over many countries and consequences are yet to be seen....

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I dont think the towns most affected are anywhere near the plants.
Other than cancelling fan attendence at some soccer matches, it seems life is going on in italy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Even though the main assembly plant is south of Rome in Cassino and the current (known) corona virus is in the north part of Italy, two things:

1. I'll bet the supply chains that feed Cassino come from all over, to include N. Italy (where many--most?--Italian cars are made)

2. Italy is not huge to begin with---about the size of California. Nobody really knows how much it has spread, and more important, will spread.

Not trying to be Mr. Bummer, just adding some things to temper expectations a bit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been in Northern Italy (Veneto Region) for the past two weeks..and pretty much everyone here is sick of
hearing about the corona virus. I've been to several open air "mercato's " and I have not seen a
single person wearing a mask or gloves. (well, other than winter gloves -- temps are around 50
and these people are bundled up with what I would wear outside in MN when it's below zero).

In fact, the italians are criitcal of the government (what else is new)...They think that italy has been
too aggressive in testing and identifying corona virus patients (and victims)..and they're looking at
other EU countries who are less aggressive. Their point is that if you are looking harder for it, you're
going to find it, and it puts Italy (and tourism) in a bad light.

(please, I'm NOT trying to make an argument or statement about public health policy, I'm just
relaying the "man on the street" sentiment that I'm hearing first hand in small-town italy).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The mask craze is complete BS. 99.9% of mask are 100% useless with a virus. Forget the mask...its about how it fits. Media has found a way to hurt el presidente.......and my 401K....but great time to contribute!!!!

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Hopefully AR production continues despite of the virus scare (and correct virus prevention measures in some instances). I always get a kick of 'conspiracy' theories, e.g. "Media has found a way to hurt el presidente ". media? Yeah, sure, they have an 'agenda'...which is? Cheers to all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We need to wait and see what the March schedule looks like for the plant, which ClubAlfa.it usually reports on when available. The only potential impact would be deliveries of components from China, but the plant has sufficient stock of those components for the time being.

Here is a good article from a local newspaper that explains things more clearly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2 week vacation planned starting in Venice and driving to the Apls in the beginning of July. Hope things clear up by then and no major issues here in the U.S. I'll report what what happens and what I observe if I make it there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Veneto is my favorite region. Points of interest: Cittadella (800 year old walled city complete with Moat). Bassano del Grappa (stop by Nardini at Ponte vecchio and order an mezzoemezzo. Say hi to Piero. Some SERIOUS WWI history on top of Monte Grappa. Cortina is a nice destination in the alps. Head there via the brenta valley. Trento is a nice town with an impressive castle in Centro...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hopefully AR production continues despite of the virus scare (and correct virus prevention measures in some instances). I always get a kick of 'conspiracy' theories, e.g. "Media has found a way to hurt el presidente ". media? Yeah, sure, they have an 'agenda'...which is? Cheers to all.
Guess you've never heard of the liberal democratic media before?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Good point, like Fox News.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Veneto is my favorite region. Points of interest: Cittadella (800 year old walled city complete with Moat). Bassano del Grappa (stop by Nardini at Ponte vecchio and order an mezzoemezzo. Say hi to Piero. Some SERIOUS WWI history on top of Monte Grappa. Cortina is a nice destination in the alps. Head there via the brenta valley. Trento is a nice town with an impressive castle in Centro...
Thanks for the info! The first stop will be Arraba then a few more small villages, I'll have to check the wife's itinerary. We will end up at Castel Condino a small village in the Trentino area where we have my wife's family house. I've driven those roads before but this time in a van, fml!!! Did it last time in an Audi A8, nice car but not Stelvio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The city of Milano is almost closed. Talked to Alfa Rome in Milano earlier today. The museum is also closed.
It does not effect the plant for Stelvio.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alfa has enough free capacities because sales are down, production each month or two pauses for few weeks. Regarding corona virus it is just panic which is widely spread by medias over many countries and consequences are yet to be seen....
Wow, is it really that bad? Here in Slovenia the 2020 model still didn't hit the market. And there are currently about 22 Stelvio's on sale for the whole country - even with massive discounts, the sales are slow (I'm checking the listings about once a week).

·
Registered
132 Posts
A full 1/4 of the Italian population (~16 million) are now supposed to be locked down in much of northern Italy. If they obey, then yes, supply chains for all sorts of manufacturing will be disrupted, probably including AR. If they do not obey, it will likely spread faster. And Italy is not a big country--about the size of Arizona. The virus is in Naples too, south of Rome and closer to the Cassino plant. Headline today from CNBC:
"Italy’s massive coronavirus quarantine provokes panic and prison riots; stocks slide."

Media fear-mongering? Not the headline above. This is happening. Would not be surprised at all if it affects AR production. Hopefully not, but we'll see.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts