Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Stay with my 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport or update to a new 2022? Any thoughts?

4K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  GWRmotohead 
#1 ·
I bought my 2018 Ti Sport a little more than a year ago from an upscale pre-owned car dealer (not Alfa). It had 21500 miles on it, now it's at 33000. This is simply an awesome car, most driving fun I've ever had, and it's run like a total champ since the day I got it.

I just noticed that my local Alfa dealer is listing a brand new 2022 Stelvio Sprint -- red, paddle shifters, just like my 2018 -- at a huge discount. I presume they just want to clear out the remaining cars from the previous model year.

I'm considering updating -- is this a good idea? I bought my 2018 with an extended warranty which I have not yet needed (knock wood.) Of course this is not bumper to bumper, and the idea of 4 yr/50k full warranty coverage is quite appealing. Plus I'd get the electronic updates that have been implemented since 2018. However, I have read nightmarish accounts, on this very forum, of poor Alfa warranty servicing, so I'm wondering if I'm just exchanging one risk for another. (Also no spare tire on the 2022?? Mine has the compact inflatable spare which I've already used once.)

Any thoughts? I think I got a good one with this particular 2018, should I just stick with what I have? The 2018 is a beast, does the 2022 compare favorably? Input welcome!! Thx all --

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I also had a 2018 Ti Sport ($53,400) on a 24 month lease from 03/18 and never a problem...Turned it in 03/20. I released a 2020 for 36 months, sticker was $54,600 if I remember and was supposed to be fully loaded AND my payment went way down (due to incentitves)...Drove it home and on the way dangerously found out it did not have active cruise control...Took it back 70 hours later and canceled the sale. Then covid changed everything...Italy was not exporting cars. My business went into the toilet once everything shut down...An Omen as the new one would have sat in my garage for 20 months so I saved about $14K. Used our '18 Q60 RedSport 400HP for that durarion for daily errands. This past August 2022, business finally picked up enough that I really needed an SUV. Contacted six different South Florida Alfa dealers and each said sticker price plus fees, taxes etc. By luck, I found a 760 mile, $59,750 "Certified" pre-owned 2022 Veloce Vesuvius/Red for just over $50K plus fees and taxes...
Bottom line is I test drove many other makes, especially the X3, XC60, Q5 (GV70 at sticker plus market adjustment fee of $5k!!! plus dealer fees) and those experiences were nowhere near the exhileration I get when driving either of my Stelvios...Also, I recommend when you trade yours in, take out the compact spare set-up and swap it into your new one..Good luck! STELVIS!

#5 ·
Say you bought for mid thirties, your trade may be now mid twenties, and the cost of the new will be mid forties. so if you make the trade now, you're out of pocket 20k over the 13-14 months, if that scenario is close. One question you might ask yourself, what do I get for the 20k equity change over the year? a warranty, missing options, a preferred colour? nicer wheels? and is it worth it to me.

I could rationalize part of the costs for things like new tires, better warranty, maybe the wheels I really wanted, a roof if I didn't have one.
plus any other upgraded options on the new one that aren't on the '18, like the touch screen or thicker glass. Maybe this could account for half of the 20k?

Some questions are, could I rationalize all the 20k hit for the change and feel good about it? Will I keep this car long enough to feel good enough about the spend to go for it.
Next year when the '23s are discounted, would I want to get those headlights?

for me, I like the DNA switch staying were I put it, I can leave it D or A or N, it's up to me, and I get to change it.
the seats like mentioned would also be a strong point of consideration.

but like AlfaOR said, drive it and see, cause that's where you'll find the extra value or not.

#36 · (Edited)
Say you bought for mid thirties, your trade may be now mid twenties, and the cost of the new will be mid forties. so if you make the trade now, you're out of pocket 20k over the 13-14 months, if that scenario is close. One question you might ask yourself, what do I get for the 20k equity change over the year? a warranty, missing options, a preferred colour? nicer wheels? and is it worth it to me.

I could rationalize part of the costs for things like new tires, better warranty, maybe the wheels I really wanted, a roof if I didn't have one.
plus any other upgraded options on the new one that aren't on the '18, like the touch screen or thicker glass. Maybe this could account for half of the 20k?

Some questions are, could I rationalize all the 20k hit for the change and feel good about it? Will I keep this car long enough to feel good enough about the spend to go for it.
Next year when the '23s are discounted, would I want to get those headlights?

for me, I like the DNA switch staying were I put it, I can leave it D or A or N, it's up to me, and I get to change it.
the seats like mentioned would also be a strong point of consideration.

but like AlfaOR said, drive it and see, cause that's where you'll find the extra value or not.
This was really helpful. I'm in the same situation right now. Bough 1n '18 last year around 32k+taxes.. asked about trade now 18 months later and dealers are quoting me 20k. Carmax said 22k. So I lose 10-12k there, plus buying again means my payments start all over again. I can find 20's and 21's around that same price (30-35k).

What I really wanted was carplay/Android auto, Lane keep asssit/traffic jam etc, and then newer steering wheel/shifter etc . And my warranty expired. So is all that stuff worth another 10-15k?

Thanks

I test drove a 21. Liked the newer infotainment and AndroidAuto. However, the acceleration just didn't feel the same. For some reason it felt.. slower? It didn't give the same feeling, I don't know exactly how to explain it. I also felt like the ride wasn't as smooth, maybe it had bigger wheels/thinner tires on it? Also, interior wasn't kept as nice as I keep mine despite being half the mileage. There were scratches on the window switches area and the steering wheel and seats were all shiny.. It just did not give me a good vibe. The lane keep was also kind of annoying. As soon as you let go of the steering wheel it turns from green to yellow, and then turns red and disengages within a few seconds. Very strict. When its active it worked quite well to keep the car in the lane on the highway. On city roads it would disengage at the slightest fade of a lane marker on one side. I don't think its a huge upgrade over the active cruise control I have already.

I ultimately decided its not worth it. But I'm still eyeing some 21s and 22s for the color combinations..

#6 ·
5-6 years ago when Stelvio came out, my friend bought it - diesel one and I wasn’t impressed at all. When I drove 2021 MY everything changed in my head-it was a huge step forward in terms of interior quality and feeling. I wouldn’t hesitate and I would go for the change.

Also, did you consider the one our fellow colleague is selling? I would say it is a great deal.

#9 ·
yeah, some 18's may have longer term issues with the oil pump, oil solenoids, and the radiator, and maybe the oil cooler and the turbo O rings, but the OP does have an extended warranty, so he's got some insurance there. I'm leaning more to 4k oil changes, cause I can't wait so long to change the oil on this car :)
Don't know if he has Carplay or not, but if not, then that's a good upgrade.

#10 ·
Wow -- holy buckets -- "ticking CEL-bomb" -- never heard that characterization of the Stelvio!! Not sure of the mfg date on mine, but I recall from the Carfax that the car was leased in Florida in late 2017. Is this important? Is reliability within a single model year dependent on exact date of mfg?

I'm pretty sure I don't have Carplay on my 2018, but I can play music wirelessly through my phone into the HK's, so that's good enough for me. My spouse would probably consider Carplay a big upgrade, but I'm more all about the driving. A bigger screen for the backup camera would also be nice, but then again it's not a deal breaker/maker.

Before I bought my 2018, I asked an Alfa sales guy about the brand reliability reputation, and he said that the 2017 Giulia Quad was an absolute disaster and accounts for much of the current perception of Alfas as unreliable. I have no idea whether that's true or not.

I've always been pretty religious about oil changes on all of our vehicles, and I'm continuing that with the Stelvio -- not going to let it go more than 5000 miles on one change!! Of course, we can only do so much if the fates are conspiring against us, and in league with the CEL.

Thx all for the input -- right now I'm thinking of doing a test drive on that 2022 and then deciding. I was interested in the Tonale, but my local dealer isn't getting any for test drives (I hear it's smaller than Stelvio, drives differently etc etc so I would need to try it on first) until July. If I went with this 2022 obviously I'm not buying a Tonale this summer. (No garage space!!) But maybe getting one in the first model year is a bad idea anyway (see Giulia Quad discussion above.) I guess I'm a bit surprised to hear that people are ordering Tonale sight unseen/undriven -- but hey to each his own.

#14 ·
Came out of 2019 Sport into 2022 Veloce. Pluses were the sport seats, the leather dash, HK, wireless charger, 21 inch rims, updated widget infotainment, leather shifter, quieter front glass. Downsides: dna switch reverts to n on shutdown, power delivery on tip in smoothed, less explosive. Going from your TI Sport to Sprint may mean giving up sport seats, HK, bigger rims, even q4, depending on how equipped. If it were me, I’d test drive, but likely be hard pressed to do it…

#15 ·
Thx -- very useful -- my 2018 is pretty loaded, so you're probably right about what I'd be giving up. PLUS, I found out today that the dealer pulled the price that was LISTED JUST YESTERDAY -- the car is now $2500 higher than it was a day ago!!??!! Grrr.... Guy said they'd have to turn down a cash offer at yesterday's price, which shocked me. He said that was a factory discount, not the dealer. So I'm not sure I want it at the new price, given what I've heard here. Will keep watching, maybe the good price will come back, maybe do a test drive just for fun. Good thing I really like my 2018!!

#16 ·
Sounds like a factory program ended 1/31. January usually slow month for sales after year end so perhaps that’s true, but if it’s $2500 and that’s all Stellantis money, wait until another incentive program begins…they always do…and btw, I usually do my own analysis and go in with a number to start the negotiation—dealers want to move inventory, and there aren’t any shortages of Stelvios…good luck, but definitely consider the one you have..

#19 ·
Here's an interesting thought -- my local Alfa dealer has a 2022 Giulia Sprint, red, paddle shifters -- priced with a huge discount for year-end closeout. I had to look twice to convince myself I wasn't being fooled. Hmmm, never thought about this -- what about a trade -- my 2018 Ti Sport Stelvio for this 2022 Giulia Sprint?? We just bought a 2021 Toyota RAV4 hybrid to replace my wife's DD 2012 Prius, so now we have two SUVs. We really don't need two SUVs. So I went over yesterday and test drove the Giulia just for kicks. It was totally fabulous -- everything others have said elsewhere in this Forum about the Giulia driving even better than the Stelvio is true. Put the same power plant in a lighter, more aerodynamic, lower ground clearance vehicle and you have ... a sport sedan that is a blast to drive even in the base model. I actually did not mind the non-sport seats, and actually found them easier to get in and out of. I was also concerned, as a tall senior person with bad back and replaced knee, that the Giulia would be too hard for me to climb in after being used to the nice high stance of the Stelvio. Not the case -- no problem at all. The ride is lower, for sure, but the cabin up front is just as roomy as the Stelvio's, with plenty of headroom. Back seat is definitely more cramped, but we have the RAV4 for the rare occasions when we transport four people. Also no sunroof on this Giulia, but I have barely used the one on my Stelvio in the 13 months I've had it, because the weather up here basically sucks much of the time. So I'm pondering this, I think it could work!! Need to decide whether I stay with the 2018 Stelvio and hope the good fortune continues to bless with reliability, take the heck of a deal and make the switch to the Giulia with the higher fuel economy and 4 yr warranty, or wait until July to look at the Tonale figuring it will be a completely different beast on the cutting edge of modern automotive technology. The Tonale does concern me as being a brand new model in its first year of production -- generally not a good omen. I also hope that if I do make the switch to the Giulia, I won't be banned from this Forum!! Would hate to have to switch venues at this point --

#22 ·
Good advice, had not heard there's a design change for '24. Today I'm leaning toward keeping my 2018 Stelvio, it's been great so far and drives like a total beast. And I've seen many posts on this Forum concerning 2018's with 60k trouble-free miles, which is what I'd love to see with mine I do have the external extended warranty but obviously that is not bumper to bumper, and this would not be honored at an Alfa dealer, am I right? Does anyone know if Alfa dealers offer extended warranties on used Alfas that would essentially be like a new car warranty? Or is this silly/ridiculously expensive/both? I'm a newbie with such things, thinking out loud -- any thoughts much appreciated.

#23 ·
It's dealer-specific with which external warranties they'll take. Most good warranties work at ASE-certified shops, and most dealers are ASE-certified shops. Usually, however, the external warranties don't cover quite as much as the Mopar MaxCare warranty many forum members have (including myself). They're also usually more expensive, because it seems like Stellantis is subsidizing these Mopar warranties in some way because they're so much cheaper...

#24 ·
  • Helpful
Reactions: GWRmotohead
#25 · (Edited)
I think if you are already out of the factory warranty, there may be an inspection needed. Since my 2018 factory ended in August, I figure most '18s would be out of the factory warranty by now.
but call the guys that Malibu suggested and you'll know the truth.

Ps while the Hornet and Tonale will be built at a different Italian factory, They have been making Renegades, Compasses and 500x cars in multiple factories for years, so some of the first year jitters may be mitigated as it's the essentially the same platform.

ETA. and my '18 has been fine, I have an extended warranty, but I look at my radiator when I change my oil, and I change oil sometime between 4 and 5 K miles, and I did the sparks and acc belt at 30, my plugs were kinda wet, so I think I'll keep doing them every 30K

#26 ·
Thanks all for great info!! Yes, my 2018 is definitely out of the factory warranty, so was wondering if an inspection might be needed for the Mopar. Will follow up w/ the Hayes contact.

I see several 2018's mentioned in the Forum handles -- how are these doing for you re accumulated mileage, reliability, major repairs? Most I've seen seem to be doing well, mine included. Yet occasionally I see the 2018 Stelvio showing up in internet articles on the lists of Used Cars to Avoid. I think back to all the fun I would have missed out on had I heeded that advice!!

#27 ·
An inspection is needed if the car is out of factory warranty. Tom confirmed that when I was purchasing mine. Mine was a late build 2018 with an in-service date in November 2018 so I bought my warranty just before the time ran out (I was under 50K miles) and didn't need an inspection.

Mine is doing great so far. I've had a few of the typical 2018 issues such as radiator replacement and, uh, actually I think that's been all under my ownership. I spoke to the previous servicing dealer and they sent me the records and there wasn't anything of note there either. As mentioned mine was built late in the 2018 model year (I believe it has a 5/2018 production date) so some of the fixes that were needed for the early-build cars would have already been incorporated into the production line (plus I got factory CarPlay (y)).

You'll see more instances of 2018s having issues for a couple of reasons. First, it's the first model year of a brand new car, so more initial issues can be expected. Second, these are the oldest Stelvios on the road, and, on average, will have the highest mileage, so they will be the first ones to uncover problems that can happen as the cars age.

Make sure to change the oil every 5K, the serpentine belt every 30K, spark plugs every 30K or 60K (there's been some debate over plug change intervals; I think Alfa had originally specified 60K intervals, then changed it to 30K. I'm following the 30K interval on mine.), air filter every 30K, brake fluid every two years regardless of mileage, etc.

#28 ·
Glad to hear your 2018 is running well Malibu -- I just had mine in for the 30k servicing, and I asked about the plug replacement -- they said 60k, and that's the factory recommendation, so went with that. Did get the belt, oil, filters, and fluids replaced, and tires rotated.

One thing I've wondered about -- I love the paddle shifters on my 2018 Ti Sport, and would not buy another Alfa that did not have them. What the heck are they doing -- why do the paddle shifters show up on the new Sprint and Veloce, but not the Ti??? I've been told on this Forum that paddle shifters can be added aftermarket, but my dealer said they had never done that and did not want to get involved in it. And it's not something I'd take on myself. Seems odd that the shifters, which in my view are a major part of the driving fun, are standard on the lowest and highest trim lines but not the middle. What kind of corporate thought train would get to that point --

#29 ·
Are you looking at pictures or the actual options in the build and price for the sprint in 2023?
I don't even see paddles as an option for the Veloce, they're just included as part of the Estrema.
in the old days the performance pack had the active susp, the lsd and the paddles, then it was lsd and paddles, and now it looks like you need to buy a Veloce to get lsd and an estrema to get lsd and paddles? but if you build and price a sprint, the pictures show paddles, so their configurator may be lazily built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.