Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last Friday I went to Stealth Hitches (SH) headquarters near Buford, GA, which is twenty minutes northeast of Atlanta. From my conversations with SH, specifically Richard, and from the posts here, my understanding is that SH had a regular Stelvio hitch designed and installed on a number of vehicles, but they (the factory) had not yet designed one for the Quad. There are a couple of forum folks that have had a base Stelvio hitch modified to fit the Quad. SH was eager to use my car as the prototype to construct an "official" hitch.

First off, I did pay for my hitch, and did not get any kind of payment for giving this review.
I cannot give the good people at SH enough credit for their professionalism and efficiency. Originally I was to arrive first thing in the morning, but had to take the quad to the Alfa dealer for a check engine reset that took nearly 4.5 hours to complete. That is another story. I arrived at SH right at noon on Friday with the expectation of having my car measured/inspected and having to return another day to have the hitch installed.

SH threw a team of 4 guys on my quad, after their lunch break, and had it disassembled within 45 mins, bumper and fenders off, existing cross-member measured and then removed. They took all the measurements and began to design new mounting plates for the exhaust hangers. That is the main difference between the base hitch and the quad hitch, as the quad exhaust has 4 hangers, two of which are mounted on the body of the exhaust. SH added mounting tabs on each side of the receiver, and used 1/4 inch thick steel to do so. These guys designed the mounting tabs, popped it into cnc, cut them out with a plasma cutter, welded up the whole assembly and powder coated it up. Then mounted everything up and reassembled it so i could be back on the road by 5:30. My hitch looks fantastic and the quality is unreal. I'm not sure what the towing capacity is for a quad but I can tell you I have no fear of the hitch being a weak point. The hitch replaces the factory cross-member which was maybe an inch thick, thin walled rectangular tube with a very stout looking 2 inch square, 1/4 or 3/8s in thick hollow bar.

I'll post a few pictures when i can upload them from my phone. I am already going boat shopping this weekend LOL

I've had curtis hitches before, the tube, under mount type and the SH blows those away. If you are looking at adding one, I give them an A++

Attachments

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
great.

"They took all the measurements and began to design new mounting plates for the exhaust hangers. That is the main difference between the base hitch and the quad hitch, as the quad exhaust has 4 hangers, two of which are mounted on the body of the exhaust."
yes, the dealer had to do something similar with mine using the Alfa hitch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Love seeing her with the clothes off!

Thanks for the info and please post more pics if you've got any as I am still undecided on what to do for a hitch on mine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ordered the Quad Version which is now listed.

Thanks to 911wings for the thread and to Stealth for supporting our uncommon but amazing rides!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
"Ordered the Quad Version which is now listed."

Alfa must have listened to my dealer, they had to go out to get some hangars.
I do believe it was the first install of a factory hitch on a quad.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is a great post but I'm also a bit confused. I have a Quad, I ordered the standard Stelvio Stealth Hitch and had a local installer put it on last October. There were no modifications needed to the hitch. The only modification done was a small cutout on the diffuser in a place where is isn't visible without getting your eyes lower than the bumper. And looking at your pictures, you have the same cutout so now I'm now even sure if it was cutout or that's just the way the diffusers are.

It's great that they have a Quad specific one now, I'm just wondering why.

Regardless, I agree with you on the quality. I've had Curtis hitches before and this thing is much better. Everything feels rock solid and since I'm not using it daily, being able to remove the receiver so it isn't visible is great and it keeps the receiver from rusting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cut out is NOT factory, the tech did that installing the hitch. Do you know if your hitch had two hangers for the exhaust? That is what needed to be changed from Stealth Hitches standard hitch. The base Stelvio doesn't require the extra exhaust hangers. Who ever installed yours may have made two hangers onsite.

This is a great post but I'm also a bit confused. I have a Quad, I ordered the standard Stelvio Stealth Hitch and had a local installer put it on last October. There were no modifications needed to the hitch. The only modification done was a small cutout on the diffuser in a place where is isn't visible without getting your eyes lower than the bumper. And looking at your pictures, you have the same cutout so now I'm now even sure if it was cutout or that's just the way the diffusers are.

It's great that they have a Quad specific one now, I'm just wondering why.

Regardless, I agree with you on the quality. I've had Curtis hitches before and this thing is much better. Everything feels rock solid and since I'm not using it daily, being able to remove the receiver so it isn't visible is great and it keeps the receiver from rusting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The cut out is NOT factory, the tech did that installing the hitch. Do you know if your hitch had two hangers for the exhaust? That is what needed to be changed from Stealth Hitches standard hitch. The base Stelvio doesn't require the extra exhaust hangers. Who ever installed yours may have made two hangers onsite.
Ah, good to know, thanks!

I'm not sure at all, I knew I wasn't qualified for the install so left it all in the box and let the installer deal with it. He made comments on the body work being difficult to work with but nothing about the hangers. I'll try to crawl under there later and see what I can see, if anything.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a Stealth Hitch put on my quad a couple weeks ago. Very clean looking and you can’t see it at all when you take 30 seconds to remove it. It’s a great hitch in my opinion.

So far I’ve only used it for hauling bikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So update, I have been towing my boat to the lake this summer with the Stelvio Quad, maybe 12 trips so far. No problems at all, although on more than one occasion I have had some folks question if "that little thing can tow the boat powerwise" :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
So update, I have been towing my boat to the lake this summer with the Stelvio Quad, maybe 12 trips so far. No problems at all, although on more than one occasion I have had some folks question if "that little thing can tow the boat powerwise" :D
That's when you offer to race them...with the boat attached!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very helpful post and discussion — thanks! Two questions about the Steath hitch:
1. Is all wiring required included in the package — on the Centerline site there’s a reference to a required MOPAR controller/plug module
2. I’ll be towing a Futura single axle trailer with a formula ford race car — total weight of trailer and car approximately 1800 lbs. Does anyone have any experience as to whether an Anderson anti-sway device would be advisable?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts