Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Everyone..doesnt get anything in this industry.

So correct, not EVERYONE got the same deal.

Every single deal is unique..it's one the biggest factors that makes car buying so stressful. Or fun if you enjoy negotiating.

There are people who paid over sticker, people who paid under, and in reality - when you count the pennies -no two people get the same discount/deal. Especially once financing comes into play. Interest rates get bumped like lease money factors....thats what back end profit is.

Very common for the desk to sell the car as a loser, so the salesperson gets paid almost nothing ($25-50), but then bump the rate anywhere from a low of .1% to significantly more (I've seen as high as a 10% difference between what was approved - 5% - and what was sold - 15%..yeah..really...guy didn't know his credit score.) giving the desk manager and finance guy a nice fat paycheck..on the same deal that was a loser for the salesperson - who did most of the work.

Why you should negotiate by letting the dealer handle financing, but make sure there is no early payoff penalty...then arrange your own financing and pay the dealer loan off with your loan ASAP.

Unless the dealer got you 0% or some other promotional rate.

Never tell the dealer you have your own financing. Let them think they can make money on the back, so they give away the front (selling price of the vehicle), thinking they can get a fat check without you knowing...then payoff that loan, so that fat check will then be deducted from the next check....

Like I said...someone always gets screwed on a new car deal.

Used..different beast, it's actually possible for everyone to win on used.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Everyone..doesnt get anything in this industry.

So correct, not EVERYONE got the same deal.

Every single deal is unique..it's one the biggest factors that makes car buying so stressful. Or fun if you enjoy negotiating.

There are people who paid over sticker, people who paid under, and in reality - when you count the pennies -no two people get the same discount/deal. Especially once financing comes into play. Interest rates get bumped like lease money factors....thats what back end profit is.

Very common for the desk to sell the car as a loser, so the salesperson gets paid almost nothing ($25-50), but then bump the rate anywhere from a low of .1% to significantly more (I've seen as high as a 10% difference between what was approved - 5% - and what was sold - 15%..yeah..really...guy didn't know his credit score.) giving the desk manager and finance guy a nice fat paycheck..on the same deal that was a loser for the salesperson - who did most of the work.

Why you should negotiate by letting the dealer handle financing, but make sure there is no early payoff penalty...then arrange your own financing and pay the dealer loan off with your loan ASAP.

Unless the dealer got you 0% or some other promotional rate.

Never tell the dealer you have your own financing. Let them think they can make money on the back, so they give away the front (selling price of the vehicle), thinking they can get a fat check without you knowing...then payoff that loan, so that fat check will then be deducted from the next check....

Like I said...someone always gets screwed on a new car deal.

Used..different beast, it's actually possible for everyone to win on used.
Good, we can close out the myth of "everyone gets that" (at least 11K off).

In the past, have read and had some dealer sales managers tell me that most dealer $$ comes from their service shop and used cars on their lot (big 3 dealers that is--and Nissan). Considering how addicted we are to rebates on many brands, that did not surprise me at all.

Fortunately, I am at a point in my life where I usually don't need financing, or not very much, depending on the car of course. I do take advantage of financing if it involves a cash bonus up front, then finance the minimum (5K in both cases) and payoff quickly just to capture the cash bonus (of course I ask for the min amt to finance and min term up front).

Anyway, the big discounts to be had on new Alfas pretty much puts them in the discount/rebate spiral with some other brands (big 3 comes to mind). I hope that seeing more on the street "selling themselves" will improve their popularity. Time will tell; that's a tough spiral to get out of.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts