Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sitting here thinking in self-quarantine: Anybody replace the OEM fasteners on the underbelly of the front with something other than torx? I was actually thinking of something involving clips. Just remove the clips and you’re good to go. Honestly, because I do all my own oil changes, I’m tempted to just leave the belly pan off. Thoughts???

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Whatever you do, don't leave the pan off. It is not decorative...and aerodynamics are only its secondary purpose.

It primarily exists to protect the rather fragile aluminum oil pan.

Took the undershield of my old B5.5 Passat years ago to make oil changes easier. It was fine till a car in front of me kicked up a piece of something on the freeway..it flew right into my oil pan and punctured it. Got home, shut the car off and promptly dumped 5 quarts on my driveway, since the oil isnt really in the pan while the engine is running...thankfully.

Back in the days of steel or iron oil pans..no problem. Today? Problem...

The Stelvio has alot more ground clearance making it the issue less likely...still not worth it IMO.

However I totally agree with torx being a pain. I was thinking of replacing them with the cheap plastic body pins that most other manufacturers use. You want to replace them with each O/C to make sure they attach securely but since they only cost around $10 for a large pack at Autozone, doing my own O/C will still be alot cheaper than the dealer overall...

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
"Back in the days"
You might want to check how long alfa has had aluminum oil pans.
Yes, some had a steel base plate, but you'd have to go back a very long time to find ground clearance like a stelvio has

·
Registered
50 Posts
Once I took off the belly pan and learned a pattern, using a cordless drill set on lowest setting and the front on ramps, I can remove or replace easily in less than 2 minutes.

Regarding the aluminum oil pan and skid plate on older Alfa's...
On my 79 spider, the skid plate is built like a solid fireplace grate...
It prevented quite a few major repairs I'm sure..

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Older brit cars used to have 4" diameter rubber inserts in the interior sheet metal, under the carpet, so you could check transmission oil.
It was a great idea, but I wont take credit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just sitting here thinking in self-quarantine: Anybody replace the OEM fasteners on the underbelly of the front with something other than torx? I was actually thinking of something involving clips. Just remove the clips and you’re good to go. Honestly, because I do all my own oil changes, I’m tempted to just leave the belly pan off. Thoughts???
Whatever you do, don’t leave the pan off! Besides keeping debris out and aerodynamics, you’ll change the airflow through the engine compartment. That could cause some other issues. I’ve thought about using other types of fasteners on my Audis, like Dzuz fasteners, but really, how often are you going to remove it and will you need to do it really fast?

·
Registered
27 Posts
And one more thing, good luck! I don’t know why you self-quarantined, and I hope it turns out to not have been needed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why am I quarantined? Well mainly because of the fact that my work is now from home and everything else is shut down. Also, both my wife and my governor (WAY in over his head, but save that for a different discussion) feel it would be unwise for me to leave my house. I’m about 99% convinced that there is zero risk for me personally. I’ve been guilted to stay home, like the rest of the world.

When I’m in my Stelvio, technically I’m still quarantined . . . so I have taken advantage of the empty roads and reduced police force ?.
As for the belly pan, I’m not going to leave it off. I change the oil every 10k, which has been about 2 times per year. It’s not a big deal, but it is a pain when you just want to get it done and you’ve got like 20 bolts to remove.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So you are only talking safe at home stuff. It makes a big difference to those that actually have to self quarantine. I’ve not been “guilted”, but I am doing the self quarantine for 5 more days. I do have a reason. After that? No change! Think about it. One clean pass means nothing. My wife is still working, documenting the cases at her company and trying to mitigate damage plus keeping everything clean. I have a Quad that I rarely drive. I know that it and its garage are virus free. As soon as the virus stay at home edict is done, I’ll lose the Scorpions and put the sticky tires back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The belly pan is almost certainly required for proper cooling. I looked at it real close after taking off all those fasteners and was thinking of leaving it off but had a lowly chevy that overheated when removed so seemed like a bad idea. Thought about leaving half of them out too but had concerns it might not be sturdy enough to stay in place at 90.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts