Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport w/ 20” wheels. I leased it new in February 2019. The 36 month lease is up this month. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic I have not driven the car much as I am working from home 95% of the time. The car has 9,800 miles on it. Earlier this week I took the car to the dealer for a 10,000 mile service. They told me the front and rear brakes were practically gone and the rear passenger side was metal on metal. The rotors were also shot and required replacement. They want $1,200 to replace the pads and rotors. They claim the way I drive caused the pads to wear so quickly. I drive almost 95%of the time in N mode and do not “hot rod” and I don’t “ride the brakes.” I have never heard a sound from my brakes. How is that possible with metal on metal? I have never felt anything odd when I brake, and neither has my partner who has driven it a few times. I have never seen the brake pad wear warning light in the dash. I never even heard of that light until I started researching this issue. Needless to say I didn’t have the dealer replace the pads and rotors. I got the car back yesterday morning and I still do not hear any noise from my brakes and still don’t have a warning light on the dash. How is this possible? They gave me photographs of the brakes which I will post here.
I see that plenty of people have had issues with their brakes. I called Alfa Romeo customer care (844-253-2872) and they said they don’t cover brakes and basically acted like they didn’t want to hear anything more from me. think this is a defect issue, not a wear issue. Any idea where I should go from here?

Jim D.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headgear Gas Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Automotive exhaust Fender

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
92 Posts
Less than 10k miles? That's crazy! At 35k miles my oem brakes don't look anything like that! I would definitely replace them, however, I do also think there has to be some defect for them to wear so quickly. Unfortunately, I don't know how you would go out and prove/justify it especially because all the dealer wants is your money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is another posts from months ago that addresses this issue which got me off full time D mode. brakes gone in 6-8k
I misspoke when I originally posted that I only drive in D mode. I meant to say N mode and I have since corrected my post.

Anyhow, why don’t I hear anything from the brakes or feel anything different when braking than what I felt when the car was brand new if they are so bad? And why doesn’t the brake pad warning light come on on the dash?

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
92 Posts
I misspoke when I originally posted that I only drive in D mode. I meant to say N mode and I have since corrected my post.

Anyhow, why don’t I hear anything from the brakes or feel anything different when braking than what I felt when the car was brand new if they are so bad? And why doesn’t the brake pad warning light come on on the dash?
You never got a warning light with the way those look? That is extremely dangerous, especially with the way your pads look (or lack thereof). Have you mentioned that to the service manager? I'm sure that alone is a defect.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You never got a warning light with the way those look? That is extremely dangerous, especially with the way your pads look (or lack thereof). Have you mentioned that to the service manager? I'm sure that alone is a defect.
I saw somewhere in MES where you can actually turn that off. I'm old school so the warning indicator is just a nuisance to me. As checking the brakes, I do it once a month even with the sensor pad alert on. On some cars, once that light goes on, it has to be reset by the dealers so I just change them out when it gets low. I'm sure someone probably inactivated the brake sensor for that reason on the car above? Not sure why but one of the most likely reason would be wrong manufacture's pads but fits on Brembo brakes. For example, Audi A7 pad on Alfa?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Early brake pad replacement was fairly common when I lived in Boulder, CO and ran a Datsun dealership. Owners lived in the mountains and worked in the city. Braking when driving aggressively downhill every day ate them up. May not be your problem, however.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where are you located? I got my car w/11K miles on it and I needed new pads by 19K, located in the great flat midwest, just riding the brakes hard at times (including a trip to Deals Gap). It's surprising for sure.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Driving in a fashion that engages ESC routinely will quickly fry rear pads. I can say this with 95% confidence. I pulled my rear pads at 24k cuz one side was down to final quarter. I did not drive in D mode a lot , nor did I jack rabbit start , crank it out of side street, driveways etc or leave CC on long downhills that required speed to be checked. That final one is big!!
They can be changed in 30 minutes at a cost of $40-75 and a beer.
BTW I have stood on brakes from 120-140 mph many times...that is not the culprit...that results in even or more front pad wear.

Reactions: OhioF1

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport w/ 20” wheels. I leased it new in February 2019. The 36 month lease is up this month. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic I have not driven the car much as I am working from home 95% of the time. The car has 9,800 miles on it. Earlier this week I took the car to the dealer for a 10,000 mile service. They told me the front and rear brakes were practically gone and the rear passenger side was metal on metal. The rotors were also shot and required replacement. They want $1,200 to replace the pads and rotors. They claim the way I drive caused the pads to wear so quickly. I drive almost 95%of the time in N mode and do not “hot rod” and I don’t “ride the brakes.” I have never heard a sound from my brakes. How is that possible with metal on metal? I have never felt anything odd when I brake, and neither has my partner who has driven it a few times. I have never seen the brake pad wear warning light in the dash. I never even heard of that light until I started researching this issue. Needless to say I didn’t have the dealer replace the pads and rotors. I got the car back yesterday morning and I still do not hear any noise from my brakes and still don’t have a warning light on the dash. How is this possible? They gave me photographs of the brakes which I will post here.
I see that plenty of people have had issues with their brakes. I called Alfa Romeo customer care (844-253-2872) and they said they don’t cover brakes and basically acted like they didn’t want to hear anything more from me. think this is a defect issue, not a wear issue. Any idea where I should go from here?

Jim D.

@ Jim D. Thanks for sharing and posting. I have almost the same scenario. leased at the height of COVID, didn't drive it for the first 6 month and then maybe once a week for the next year. Now i work from home and rarely drive any where. Now my right rear side squeals but only when cold. And customer service gave the same it's not my problem response. I was going to buy another since the one I have is a lease. It is unfortunate because I love this car with the exception the bad breaks and the humming noise when you shut the car off after driving it no matter how short the distance. Do you also have this humming noise coming from your hood. It usually stops one to two hour after.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Loud noise from belt? are you talking about high pitch sound that last about 2 mins or so after turning your car off? if so, that's from turbo charger which I was told, normal. The belt noise is pretty apparent when you're accelerating and it means that the belt should be replaced. Tensioner maybe off set or even your pullys will need to be replaced if you hear that high pitched ripping noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Jim D.

Well, for anyone keeping track of my brake pads and rotors issue. I ended up going to another Alfa dealer in town to get a second opinion as to what caused the failure of the brake system before I had reached 10,000 miles. I wasn’t disputing the first dealer‘s claim that they needed replaced. It was clear the system was shot, but they were claiming normal wear and tear. Before going to the second place I contacted the Alfa Romeo Aftersales Manager and she was agreeing with the first dealership. She recommended I try another dealer. My first thought was all of the service records and notes are accessible by all of the service centers so they will know right away why I am there when they search the VIN. Anyhow, I took it to a second dealer and they agreed the pads and rotors were shot. They could not tell me why though. The only good news is they contacted the Aftersales Manager and Alfa agreed to coverer 50% of the cost to replacer all pads and rotors. The total was over $2,600 and after changing the pricing to warranty parts and labor pricing, and Alfa paying their half, I ended up paying about $1,100. I am still concerned that nobody knows why this happened.

Any ideas????

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
792 Posts
I'm glad for you ALFA is helping with half.

as to your brakes early wear, the other posts talk about hills, ACC, traction control, and ocean air, climate/salted roads, really rusty rotors and driving with your foot on the brake. One other option is sticky calibers, and if your car suffers from climate/salt and ocean air, then there could be an elevated probability that a caliper is affected, (but both?) IDK
Is the parking brake is fully releasing? are there problems with the rear brake hose connections to the calipers, sometimes internal hose failure or blockage, delays the pressure release, so you get more wear.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Do you accelerate hard between corners then late brake into them?

Do you brake while turning the front wheels? (Once the wheels are turned the brakes don't work the same at the front and more of the force has to be exerted by the rear brakes, wearing them out faster)

Do you accelerate hard out of corners? Due to the brakes being used for a torque vectoring effect this causes alot of wear.

The best advice I can give (and what I do to get 40k and counting in my brakes), is never...ever...ever...ever use the brakes unless the steering wheel is straight also never use the brakes over bumps or dips, slow down before them and be fully off the pedal before hitting them, always.

Also don't get onto the gas unless the wheel is straight, not hard. Outside of that, momentum is your friend, braking is your enemy...so, in general...try to not use the pedal.

I coast alot. Like between corners for instance, accelerate as exiting the corner, let off the gas about halfway to the next..coast into the entrance at the speed I want, hold that speed through the corner, accelerate coming out..repeat. The only dancing I'm good at.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’ve had my Stelvio (used) for a year. About 9,000 miles so far and notice one of my pads squeak the first time I depress my pedal. Rear right. The sound goes away. They appear to have 1/4” of material still. I wonder if the squealer metal tab is bent in too far. Squeaks then get polished by the rotor and the sound stops. Overnight a bit of rust develops and squeaks again.
I don’t see a line around my rotor like it’s dragging.
Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
'19 Stelvio
30 Posts
Thats crazy, something wrong with system or somebody hell hard on brakes, do you track it every weekend, or just drive around town like your tracking it, lol? Ive got 36k on my 2019 stock pads and still got some pad to go. But I do practice not riding the brakes hard to stops.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts