Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to bounce some ideas around. I don't really know the Alfa brand very well and mostly from what I've heard there is a negative stigma around it very similar to Jaguar and Land Rover. Whether it's warranted or not I dont know never owned either but that's the feeling I get. I have seen many youtube reviews and read a lot of the forums about the Stelvio and although the first models did have some gremlins it appears that most of that has been ironed out. IMO and after driving several of the newer (2018+) compact SUV's from the likes of VW Tiguan, Infinity FX50, QX70, Lexus NX300, Lincoln Corsair and MKC, BMW X3, and Volvo XC90 the Stelvio shifts the best, best overall handling, best driver, best looking etc... I like it! My question is around depreciation? How are these cars going to hold up lets say in 5 years? How are they holding up now after 3 years? 2018's seem a bit lower than the high end competition or at least close?

I plan on buying either a 2020 or 2019 and they seem to range anywhere from from mid to upper 30's to low 40's for a nicely specked 2020. I will post the window sticker of one I'm strongly considering it's a 2020 with 17k miles, Pano, Ti, Spare Tire, Harmon Kardon stereo, upgraded wheels and some other safety features. Window sticker was 54K there asking 44K. Does this seem about right? Granted a 2018 I drove the other day Ti Pano, rims, radio, with 29K miles was 32K. Cars felt very similar in the way they drove, besides the infotainment system and some upgraded interior pieces they both drove the same, both looked the same were even both Misano Blue. The 2018 did have the hood gap :-(. I guess what I'm saying is I'm nervous if I buy a 2020 for 44K and want to sell it in a few years is how bad am I going to get nailed? If we get divorced I want to get an idea of how badly she's going to take me to the cleaners lol.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on depreciation. Do you all feel that the Alfa brand will depreciate more or about the same as other luxury brands. Lexus for example holds it's value very well. From what I can tell even the BMW's and Audi's hold there value really well on the newer models and even better on the M series same with Mercedes and AMG tags. Now with that being said were in a very weird place. This is totally a sellers market. When things go back to normal are peoples attitudes towards Alfa's change?. IMO I think it's going to take time and if durability and reliability remain high then the way the car drives and looks will sell it's self.

Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
I'm not expert on this domain but from what I've read it is expected that Alfa, notice the correct spelling, will hold value better than Benz and BMW. Having said that, it is hard to tell right now because of the chip shortage and how high the used market is.

A 2020 should hold a better value because of the minor updates to the interior, adaptive cruise control and infotainment. Also, they seem to be more reliable that what they're infamous for.

IMO, life is too short to be concern with take values 3-4-5 years from now, get what makes you happy, get the most of it and enjoy it...then, sworry about the finances when you decide to sell it. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to agree with you. I know my self and I'm more than likely going to get the newer one. I just like to be as proactive as possible and think of as many pro's and cons before walking into a decision like this. I'm gonna keep the "Alfa" for a long time so in my mind I need to rationalize this stuff out before I pull the trigger.

Registered
Before COVID, Stelvios and Giulias depreciated faster than other more established premium and luxury brands. Alfa is still rather new to the market and perceptions change slowly. Then COVID and things went upside down. Hard to predict future depreciation in this environment. If you are going to keep it a long time, then get the 2020 and get a MOPAR extended warranty. I agree with @pocholin life is too short to drive an appliance. I yolo'd a bit when I bought mine 2.5 yrs ago (I remember Alfa's departure from the US in the mid 90s). Still smile every time I drive it. No regrets.

Registered
2019 Stelvio Ti sport
BMW鈥檚 are terrible in terms of value retention 鈥 most models lose 50% of their sticker value in their first three years. Some models lose more. I have purchased three Beemers with under 20k miles off of lease miles for less than 1/2 of what their sticker was.

With this backdrop, I recently bought both a 2019 Giulia Ti and 2019 Stelvio Ti Sport. The Giulia had 11k mi and the Stelly had 7k miles. Paid $34k for the Giulia and $40k for the Stelly. Given they were both purchased after the chip shortage began, it鈥檚 hard to say where they will end up in a few years. But given how well they drive, I don鈥檛 care very much. These are nimble little beasts and are a blast to drive. So the 2020 at $44k seems a little high but not crazy. Push for an extended warranty at that price; you might get it!

Registered
Vehicles are the WORST investment. Period. Depreciation after 3 years is a bit worse than most but the way the car market is nowadays lease returns sell for about $7000 over residual...
Some of the 2020 Stelvio lease returns are getting resold for SAME OR MORE $ than what they were sold for initially 2 years ago. Its a crap chute.

Registered
2022 Stelvio Ti Alfa white with Chocolate interior, premium package.
if you鈥檙e in the compact suv market it鈥檚 by definition not a depreciation-driven decision, unless your uncertain about the car. This segment has the one of the worst depreciation rates among an 鈥渁sset鈥 class (vehicles) which resemble consumables rather than assets in the depreciation sense.

If youre uncertain about an Alfa, and buy one anyway, you will lose $ trying to flip it. So maybe you should rent one for awhile or even lease

if the decision is 2019 vs 2020, understand you get the touchscreen, leather shift knob, and whatever other improvements that typically come with a maturing generation in the 2020. For example I have a 2022, and have none of the issues so far with battery, visor clips, the plastic turbo line fitting and others things that happend in 18/19. Materials/durability have anecdotally improved, I don鈥檛 have the problematic varta, etc

Registered
Most luxury (non hyper cars) will depreciate massively and alfas, maseratis and range rovers are probably the worst but they all do. You're only very slightly better with merc, bmw, Porsche.

If you want value retention you get a 4 runner or fj cruiser.

Registered
The only value a car has is the value it gives you in enjoyment or transportation or reliability or impressing a hottie at a club...or whatever it is that you want from a car.

Outside of that, none of them are worth a thing.

Honestly don't understand why people talk about any brand "holding value".....decades in the car industry, been privy to literally thousands of car deals/sales....never, not one time (up till recently when values have gone crazy for everything, including Alfa) have I ever seen someone offered a trade in value and heard them be happy with the amount offered.

Exceptions for random cars....mostly ones featured in the Fast and Furious movies now.

Registered
The only value a car has is the value it gives you in enjoyment or transportation or reliability or impressing a hottie at a club...or whatever it is that you want from a car.

Outside of that, none of them are worth a thing.

Honestly don't understand why people talk about any brand "holding value".....decades in the car industry, been privy to literally thousands of car deals/sales....never, not one time (up till recently when values have gone crazy for everything, including Alfa) have I ever seen someone offered a trade in value and heard them be happy with the amount offered.

Exceptions for random cars....mostly ones featured in the Fast and Furious movies now.
Remember the 1994-1996 Impala SS? Those were the only cars that didn't loose value immediately after walking out of the dealer. I had a 1996, put 45k miles, only lost about 15% when I traded it in for an E55 AMG....as a trade in!!! That is one of the exceptions though.
BTW, the car had a bunch of bolt on mods, including NOX...and the Benz dealer in Houston wanted it nothing touched/removed. Used to run mid 12s in the quarter mile with it.

Registered
I had a 96 green-grey. Options were simple, choose one of three available colors, then do you want an under chasis rust coating or not??

Registered
Here you decide
2018 Stelvio TiS MSRP ~52500, Purchased 4 /18 for ~46K (it was built the way I wanted it). Others got killer deals later in season, think 40-42K
29K miles, mint. Traded in for 33K in march. I don't consider that a bad value.....................

Registered
I'm probably not really worried about depreciation too because it is a given in nearly every car I've bought. I've owned 11 cars from 4 European marques (Renault x1, Lancia x1, Saab x2, Alfa Romeo x2), two Japanese marques (Nissan x1, Toyota x2), and one Australian (GM Holden x2).

All have depreciated to pretty much the same degree in theory but I do a lot of kilometres so averaging out per k I get goos value anyway. Some cars I've kept until the over the 300,00km mark.The exception funnily enough is my current Stelvio as I got it as a run-out - literally the last 2018 Ti in Australia ;-) and because of our last couple of years with our States shut down in Australia various times it is still low milage and with shortages in new cars here in Australia I could sell it tomorrow for about $5k more than I bought it ;-).

But I really buy cars for me to drive. My Stelvio is my weekend drive (my commute car is a 10 y.o.Prius). I live in country Australia and a weekend drive for three or four hours with my local Alfa Romeo Owners Club is a mental health holiday. So, drive first, depreciation? Meh.

Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
I think the Stelvio is going to depreciate depending on dealer network, and track record.

For example, if Alfa Romeo dies again un America...it may not be worth much...or it may go through the roof. Anyone's guess.
If the Stelvio gets higher miles on it and proves to be a solid platform minus the radiators and some bad oil pump scissor gears in a few vehicles, then that, too, will raise its value. It will just take time to see how that goes, as people don't really put many miles on them, at least, based on this forum.

Really, it's up in the air, but right now they are more or less the same as a BMW and a bit better than MB, as best I could tell when I priced them pre-chip shortage.

Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce
Depreciation right now is really hard to figure out due to the bonkers used market. Regardless, I'd be looking for a 2020/21 [better combinations of options + upgraded infotainment + the full colored 2 tone interior if you are going for red, parchment or brown instead of the seats-only interior color of the 2022 onwards]. I also think there was deviated stitching for some of the models in earlier years.

Registered
I don't claim to be knowledgeable about depreciation, however, if you must know about that before you commit, I would imagine the best way to find out is to ask those owners who have leased their cars. The lease contract tells you exactly how much the bank, the guys who are supposed to know, expects the car to depreciate. If you can get those figures for 2022 lease which I don't have, that should give you an idea. Bear in mind, that the figure could be wrong. My 2019 3 Yr. lease said they expected the car to depreciate by 49%, but based on current prices due to pandemic, chip shortage, etc, it only depreciated by 27%. That figure could go back up to 49% if production returns to normal.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts