Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
878 Posts
I don't claim to be knowledgeable about depreciation, however, if you must know about that before you commit, I would imagine the best way to find out is to ask those owners who have leased their cars. The lease contract tells you exactly how much the bank, the guys who are supposed to know, expects the car to depreciate. If you can get those figures for 2022 lease which I don't have, that should give you an idea. Bear in mind, that the figure could be wrong. My 2019 3 Yr. lease said they expected the car to depreciate by 49%, but based on current prices due to pandemic, chip shortage, etc, it only depreciated by 27%. That figure could go back up to 49% if production returns to normal.
The chip shortage among other things are going to throw all conventional depreciation models off course for the next few years.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
878 Posts
I for one don’t care about depreciation. Stephenwho is right on. Enjoy the car. Drive the crap out of it! You are all afisti!
Depreciation can matter to people like me who like to trade cars often, though. Variety is the spice of life! Getting paid to do it just makes it all the more fun!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Once a person finds the right vehicle....

They tend to not trade it in.

Never believed that myself till it happened to me.... Hopefully it does to you someday. It's a nice feeling.

Variety may be the spice of life.... Sadly 90% of vehicles drive the same and get boring after a few months.. I get it, thats how I lived till I found Alfa. Keep looking, maybe you'll find the one.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
878 Posts
Once a person finds the right vehicle....

They tend to not trade it in.

Never believed that myself till it happened to me.... Hopefully it does to you someday. It's a nice feeling.

Variety may be the spice of life.... Sadly 90% of vehicles drive the same and get boring after a few months.. I get it, thats how I lived till I found Alfa. Keep looking, maybe you'll find the one.
I think it varies. I buy exactly what I want, and find myself moving on in < 3 years. Maybe you're right though, maybe I just need to find the one that speaks to me, no? We will see! That said, buying vehicles that retain value somewhat allow me to sample for free, and that's kindof cool, so I get not wanting to buy a millstone so to speak. That said the EV6 I have ordered kinda has lame resale value. It will save me $5K/year in gasoline though, so that makes up for it, along with getting $7500 off my taxes (again! WOOT!). I wish the Tonale were AWD, I'd have liked to check it out, too.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It happens to me too. I fall in and out of love quickly lol. I swore I was going to keep my giulia forever this time because its a timeless look with an incredible value and i got it in a very unique spec that i wanted (perf pack, no sunroof, lipari grey). But...then i fell in love with another lol

There are several cars ive sold though and bought back again the same model. Done it with Audis 4 times and i can see doing it with the giulia lol.

Nobody said being a car addict was rational.

·
Registered
2022 RDX A-spec Advance
878 Posts
It happens to me too. I fall in and out of live quickly lol. I swore I was going to keep my giulia forever this time because its a timeless look with an incredible value and i got it in a very unique spec that i wanted (perf pack, no sunroof, lipari grey). But...then i fell in love with another lol

There are several cars ive sold though and bought back again the same model. Done it with Audis 4 times and i can see doing it with the giulia lol.

Nobody said being a car addict was rational.
When you can do it for free or even get paid to do it due to high value retention of vehicles (part due to what they are, and part due to these crazy times), it IS rational, though!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hehe yeah this is a bizarre but great time for my addiction. These three got me my fourth one free....

View attachment 26467
View attachment 26469
View attachment 26468
I sure would like your free 4th one :) Anyhow, if anyone is interested in depreciation of the cars, here's a link where you can compare all cars and makes.Car Depreciation Calculator
Once again, cars in general, are bad investment unless you are a collector or enthusiast. To lessen the damage, you may want to drive a Corolla, impreza, Sentra, Civic etc....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to bounce some ideas around. I don't really know the Alfa brand very well and mostly from what I've heard there is a negative stigma around it very similar to Jaguar and Land Rover. Whether it's warranted or not I dont know never owned either but that's the feeling I get. I have seen many youtube reviews and read a lot of the forums about the Stelvio and although the first models did have some gremlins it appears that most of that has been ironed out. IMO and after driving several of the newer (2018+) compact SUV's from the likes of VW Tiguan, Infinity FX50, QX70, Lexus NX300, Lincoln Corsair and MKC, BMW X3, and Volvo XC90 the Stelvio shifts the best, best overall handling, best driver, best looking etc... I like it! My question is around depreciation? How are these cars going to hold up lets say in 5 years? How are they holding up now after 3 years? 2018's seem a bit lower than the high end competition or at least close?

I plan on buying either a 2020 or 2019 and they seem to range anywhere from from mid to upper 30's to low 40's for a nicely specked 2020. I will post the window sticker of one I'm strongly considering it's a 2020 with 17k miles, Pano, Ti, Spare Tire, Harmon Kardon stereo, upgraded wheels and some other safety features. Window sticker was 54K there asking 44K. Does this seem about right? Granted a 2018 I drove the other day Ti Pano, rims, radio, with 29K miles was 32K. Cars felt very similar in the way they drove, besides the infotainment system and some upgraded interior pieces they both drove the same, both looked the same were even both Misano Blue. The 2018 did have the hood gap :-(. I guess what I'm saying is I'm nervous if I buy a 2020 for 44K and want to sell it in a few years is how bad am I going to get nailed? If we get divorced I want to get an idea of how badly she's going to take me to the cleaners lol.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on depreciation. Do you all feel that the Alfa brand will depreciate more or about the same as other luxury brands. Lexus for example holds it's value very well. From what I can tell even the BMW's and Audi's hold there value really well on the newer models and even better on the M series same with Mercedes and AMG tags. Now with that being said were in a very weird place. This is totally a sellers market. When things go back to normal are peoples attitudes towards Alfa's change?. IMO I think it's going to take time and if durability and reliability remain high then the way the car drives and looks will sell it's self.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to bounce some ideas around. I don't really know the Alfa brand very well and mostly from what I've heard there is a negative stigma around it very similar to Jaguar and Land Rover. Whether it's warranted or not I dont know never owned either but that's the feeling I get. I have seen many youtube reviews and read a lot of the forums about the Stelvio and although the first models did have some gremlins it appears that most of that has been ironed out. IMO and after driving several of the newer (2018+) compact SUV's from the likes of VW Tiguan, Infinity FX50, QX70, Lexus NX300, Lincoln Corsair and MKC, BMW X3, and Volvo XC90 the Stelvio shifts the best, best overall handling, best driver, best looking etc... I like it! My question is around depreciation? How are these cars going to hold up lets say in 5 years? How are they holding up now after 3 years? 2018's seem a bit lower than the high end competition or at least close?

I plan on buying either a 2020 or 2019 and they seem to range anywhere from from mid to upper 30's to low 40's for a nicely specked 2020. I will post the window sticker of one I'm strongly considering it's a 2020 with 17k miles, Pano, Ti, Spare Tire, Harmon Kardon stereo, upgraded wheels and some other safety features. Window sticker was 54K there asking 44K. Does this seem about right? Granted a 2018 I drove the other day Ti Pano, rims, radio, with 29K miles was 32K. Cars felt very similar in the way they drove, besides the infotainment system and some upgraded interior pieces they both drove the same, both looked the same were even both Misano Blue. The 2018 did have the hood gap :-(. I guess what I'm saying is I'm nervous if I buy a 2020 for 44K and want to sell it in a few years is how bad am I going to get nailed? If we get divorced I want to get an idea of how badly she's going to take me to the cleaners lol.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions on depreciation. Do you all feel that the Alfa brand will depreciate more or about the same as other luxury brands. Lexus for example holds it's value very well. From what I can tell even the BMW's and Audi's hold there value really well on the newer models and even better on the M series same with Mercedes and AMG tags. Now with that being said were in a very weird place. This is totally a sellers market. When things go back to normal are peoples attitudes towards Alfa's change?. IMO I think it's going to take time and if durability and reliability remain high then the way the car drives and looks will sell it's self.
It’s great to have long term to haul stuff around and drives like a sports car. 👏👏👏

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you're looking for the minimizing depreciation, buy a Toyota RAV4. Vehicles in the luxury part of the market will all depreciate - and generally - the more expensive they are, the more they drop. You buy one of these because they feed your desires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know how reputable they are, but the site Car Edge has this site that shows what they assume is the depreciation on the Stelvio. It gives you a place to start from.

If you're looking for the minimizing depreciation, buy a Toyota RAV4. Vehicles in the luxury part of the market will all depreciate - and generally - the more expensive they are, the more they drop. You buy one of these because they feed your desires.
the mechanics of emotion “La Meccanica Delle Emozioni 🥰”

21 - 38 of 38 Posts