Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the engine for the Stelvio? I thought I read somewhere that it was a German engine, but I can't find it on the web.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
perhaps you were confusing it with the Maserati Levante V6, designed by Ferrari, but the blocks were originally cast in Germany, and now in Michigan, and then sent to Italy for building.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're kidding, but I owned a Chrysler for 5 years in the 90s and never had any major issues and my late wife drove a 2002 Jeep Liberty over ten years (Daimler owned Chrysler at that time.)and never had a major issue.

I hope Fiat can bring them back, like Lee Iaccoca did. They have a great heritage.

Thanks again for your responses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I just looked it up and Termoli is in the same region my family is from.
Nice to see I'm taking care of the homies;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was told by my salesman that Ferrari made the engines. I am finding out my salesman did not know much about the Stelvio.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I believe Quattrofolio engine is based on a Ferrari design (block is shortened 8 cylinder) and that Ferrari engineers were deeply involved in the development process. Hard to imagine they'd be able to support the volume production but what plant produces them I don't know.

Have to say following the new products and corporate integration, I am very excited about FCA at this time. Marchionne is a wizard from my point of view.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 4-cylinder engine, or at least the head design, is Fiat or Fiat-inspired. Google Multi-Air, very interesting and novel design for decreasing emissions, increasing performance and economy at small throttle openings.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I believe Quattrofolio engine is based on a Ferrari design (block is shortened 8 cylinder) and that Ferrari engineers were deeply involved in the development process. Hard to imagine they'd be able to support the volume production but what plant produces them I don't know.

Have to say following the new products and corporate integration, I am very excited about FCA at this time. Marchionne is a wizard from my point of view.
The history is, at least as I know it, is that the V6 engine is essentially 6 of the 8 cylinders from the Ferrari California twin-turbo 3.9-litre V8 and a slightly smaller variation of the same twin turbo setup to account for the missing 2 cylinders. As for the design team, it's my understanding that the chief designer / project manager for the Georgio platform was previously the chief designer & project manager for the Ferrari FXXK track only version of the La Ferrari (and was involved in some way with the design of the La Ferrari as well, but what extent I'm unsure).

So the description that these are "Poor Man's Ferrari's" is not that far from the truth!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
stelviofan, are you looking at a stelvio sticker or a levante sticker?
the quote was regarding the maserati levante v6, and that info was in a well circulated interview with a FCA bigwig.

content aside (and does a rough casting count as raw material or finished product?), the plant where pieces are cast doesn't much matter to me, and it wouldn't surprise me if as volume ramped up they utilized casting facilities in MI.
but Alfa has always been higher volume than maserati, so I doubt it would be necessary.

scatewoodman, as roughly correct as you can get, except it is" quadrifoglio"

at the 10:49 mark there are comments from the designer

·
Registered
763 Posts
My window sticker shows engine from Italy and trans from Germany, assembled in Italy. It also shows zero parts from US/Canada. I was at the dealer today and they state Ferrari designed the engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Who makes the engine for the Stelvio? I thought I read somewhere that it was a German engine, but I can't find it on the web.
All engines born and built in Italy.
The V6 in the Quadrifoglio is based off the V8 from the Ferrari California with two cylinders chopped off. An unqualified masterpiece.
What you may have read that's made in Germany is the 8-speed transmission from ZF. Another masterpiece.
When these people say "la meccanica delle emozioni", they're not messing around.
They really mean it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 4-cylinder engine, or at least the head design, is Fiat or Fiat-inspired. Google Multi-Air, very interesting and novel design for decreasing emissions, increasing performance and economy at small throttle openings.
It's a GME. Same engine family as new turbo four for all new Wrangler and Cherokee refresh.

·
Read Only
849 Posts
Global medium engine is a new engine platform, the father of many other future engine.
Waiting for a mild hybrid version, 48v 350hp and a plugin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also read that Ferrari engineers participated in a design of 2.0L engine, As far as Quatrifoglio, it is basically a shortened block of Ferrari engine. ZF transmission is German sourced

·
Registered
763 Posts
I know it has been awhile since any update in this thread, but now that the 2.0 Stelvio has been here awhile. Does anyone know where our 2.0 engines are designed with anyone’s assistance and where they are built? I know some have stated the blocks may have been poured in the US, but my sticker states “0” parts from the US or Canada. My salesman stated that Alfa Romeo designed the 2.0 engine with the assistance of Ferrari. I don’t know if that’s true or not, I understand that the V-6 QV is designed off of a Ferrari eight cylinder.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Pure Italian engine!!! That's a good thing. Chrysler engine design (although heavy) has always been a strength of the company. Where Chrysler products have ALWAYS been inferior is with chassis design and weight. They have always been 10-20 years behind. See current MB chassis being used that was designed in the early nineties.... Alfa engines have always been a masterpiece of design . The valve casting and polished intake runners on my 164L were pure eye candy!

Hopefully new Jeeps that switch ove to our platform will be MUCH better as people love their GC's but I always thought the handling was ponderous and VAGUE.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts